Viewing: 1-5 of 5
lcarreau

lcarreau - May 27, 2012 11:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Outstanding adventure!

Mark ... did you happen to run into any Poison Oak or Ivy, or
is that only found in California and parts of Colorado?

I've been "itching" to visit the Blue Ridge Parkway for decades ..

In 1977, I visited Myrtle Beach and saw an ELP concert in Charlotte.

Why do they call them the "Tar Heels?" Just wondering ..

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - May 28, 2012 10:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Outstanding adventure!

Larry, there is plenty of poison ivy in the east and fortunately I didin't pick any up on this trip. As for the Parkway, it's a great area. My favorite road I have ever driven (or bicycled - which I did back in '82). Lots of beautiful scenery and plenty of short (or long) hikes to start right from the road.

Not sure why they call them Tar Heels, but hey, I'm a Hoosier and no one can give me a straight answer about that one either.

lcarreau

lcarreau - May 28, 2012 11:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Outstanding adventure!

Well, I googled it and here it is for anybody interested :

"The moniker is rooted in the state's earliest history, derived from the production of naval stores-tar, pitch and turpentine-extracted from the vast pine forests of the state.

Early explorers from Jamestown pointed out the possibilities for naval stores production along the Chowan River. Eventually, Parliament offered a bounty for their production, and North Carolina became an important source of tar and pitch for the English navy ..."

Kiefer

Kiefer - Jun 2, 2012 1:52 am - Voted 10/10

Mark!

Are you, no, you're not, doing a little climbing in these shots! :o) Awesome dude! That's what we like to see!
These pictures look so alien! Everything is so GREEN!
The rock 'looks' good. Was it?

Thanks for posting this! Haven't talked to ya or seen anything from ya in a while. Glad you're getting out!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jun 3, 2012 12:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mark!

Yeah, I would like to think this qualifies as climbing. But actually, the YDS is a total mystery to me, so I just call it scrambling. If a rope isn't involved, I tend to call it scrambling.

The rock in Linville Gorge is VERY solid. Not like that choss in the Elks or San Juans! As for the GREEN? The scenery out East is much different than in Colorado. I love the spring green in Carolina!

Will be heading to Colorado the week of Labor Day. Plans for now are base camps at Lake Constantine and South Colony Lakes. I'll touch base with you before then. Thanks for all the great feedback. Happy Trails, Mark

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Scrambling Around on Hawksbill Mountain' main page