Sierras Chicas de Córdoba

Sierras Chicas de Córdoba

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 30.5°S / 64.28°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6493 ft / 1979 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sierras Chicas de Córdoba is the easternmost range of mountains of the central argentine Sierras de Córdoba, in the province of Córdoba. To the west, one finds the higher Sierras Grandes de Córdoba which nearly reaches 3000 m a.s.l. and the lower Sierra de Pocho ranges. These are the last reliefs before the Andes, some 800 km to the West. Many lesser ranges and massifs are often distinguished within the Sierras de Córdoba (e.g. Macizo de Los Gigantes).

The Sierras Chicas range are essentially rolling hills covered in Chaco Serrano woodland and shrubland. However, some higher peaks offer challenging hiking and scrambling. Rock climbing (both sports & trad) is also possible in a few areas in and around the range.
The rolling Sierras Chicas de CórdobaThe Sierras Chicas de Cordoba offer many opportunities for hiking and scrambling, on the door-step of Argentina's second largest city.




Getting There

The Sierras Chicas are aligned N-S at some 50km West of Argentina's second largest city Córdoba (which has frequent bus connections to the rest of the country and beyond, including an international airport). To the North-west of the range lies the Punilla valley which is one of the most visited areas of the country, although essentially by Argentines themselves. The main towns there are Villa Carlos Paz, La Falda, La Cumbre and Capilla del Monte. To the South-west, the Calamuchita valley is less populated but the town of Villa General Belgrano is famous for Argentina's version of the bavarian Oktoberfest (many german immigrants have settled there).

Being surrounded by very populated and popular areas, the Sierras Chicas are very accessible. Visitors should have no trouble finding information for getting there, accommodation etc.

Mountains & rocks

The Sierras Chicas offer various opportunities for outdoor recreation, including hiking, scrambling and rock climbing. Mountains and rocks in the range include:

The Cerro Uritorco (1979m), the highest point in the range. It is famous in Argentina for some UFO sightings. Hiking up the Uritorco is very popular and easy but the mountain also offers some nice scrambling or climbing alternatives.
Cerro UritorcoThe Cerro Uritorco is the highest point in the Sierras Chicas.


Near Capilla del Monte, the "Grupo de Escaladores del Cerro Uritorco" has equipped various rock climbing sites.

If you feel any other mountains, rocks or sights should be added here, don't hesitate to contact me.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.