Viewing: 1-20 of 20
myrone

myrone - Sep 16, 2010 8:51 am - Voted 10/10

Well done!!

Terrific trip report, great pix!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 16, 2010 8:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!!

Snowmass is a great mountain. It was easy getting the great pix considering the backdrop. Thanks for visiting! Mark

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 19, 2010 2:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice to see your trip Mark.

Thanks! Some stellar scenery, as you well know.

Could be heading closer to your neck of the woods next year. The San Juans are on the short list of possible destinations. Time will tell!

stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33 - Sep 19, 2010 11:26 am - Voted 10/10

very aweseme TR!

makes me wish i was back out there again :)
thanks for sharing!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 19, 2010 3:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: very aweseme TR!

Dan,
Thanks for the nice comments. Glad you enjoyed it!

I assume you are back up in the UP by now. Hopefully you'll be able to get out on the trail up there between classes.

Take care,
Mark

stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33 - Sep 19, 2010 3:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: very aweseme TR!

indeed, we're back in the UP. i'm completing my master's in geological engineering at michigan tech university in houghton. we just got out yesterday to the trap hills. (i put up a couple pics) what a great place! looking forward to having God's country as my backyard for a while again...
cheers,
dan

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 20, 2010 6:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Trip Report!

It sounds like you had a nice trip.

What happened to all of the snow, though? When I was there, I climbed snow from a few feet above the lake to close to the summit of Snowmass. Granted, that was earlier in the year but still, it seems as if the trademark snowfield on Snowmass has diminished substantially...

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 21, 2010 7:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Trip Report!

There were only a few small patches of snow. There was definitely less snow there than last year. Did you guys have less snow this year, or was it just an incredibly hot summer (like here in the midwest)?

Thanks for visiting.
Mark

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 22, 2010 12:23 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice Trip Report!

Last winter had near average snowfall. With that said, what seems to be happening is the snow is starting to melt earlier, with a large portion of it gone by early to mid June, while in years past the melt didn't begin until later. This fall has been different, with no snow yet in the mountains. Generally, the first mountain snow that sticks on at least the north slopes falls in the first week of September.
I was out of the state most of the summer, so I can't really say what conditions were like. Every time that I've looked at Snowmass, though, its entire Northeast face has been snow. The climate is changing.

phatty

phatty - Sep 21, 2010 1:24 pm - Hasn't voted

next trip

Great report!

Do fremont peak in the wind rivers... you wont regret it!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 21, 2010 7:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: next trip

Thanks! The Winds have been on my mind for a few years now. I do plan on heading up that way some time soon. They are on the short list for possible destinations next year, along with the San Juans and a few other places as well.

Nice Profile Pic!
Mark

CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot - Sep 22, 2010 3:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Helmets

Some people have different spheres of comfort about them, but its always better to have them than risk your life summiting or being turned back

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 22, 2010 10:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Helmets

It was my first time ever wearing a helmet. Glad I had it with me!

Thanks for visiting.
Mark

Kiefer

Kiefer - Oct 2, 2010 2:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Helmets

Amen to that, Brother!

Kiefer

Kiefer - Oct 2, 2010 2:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Great report!

A really wonderful report you wrote, Mark. I'm glad I waited to read this while no one was home. I can completely understand about your stance on helmuts. I've been getting into a bad habit of not taking mine. And it's the easier, more moderate but loose terrain is where most accidents tend to occur.
I'm glad you were able to finaggle this trip out. I know you had some hiccups along the way.
And you're first night in the backcountry?! Aw, man. Camping in the BC is what it's all about! The summit is only part of the total experience!
Thanks for posting this!!

noahs213

noahs213 - Dec 30, 2010 11:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Beautiful!

I can't believe I don't remember seeing this on the front page. Great write up. I have not been up to Snowmass Lake but have heard it's well worth the hike! As far as the helmet issue, I could not agree more with you. Sometimes I also forget my helmet on something like this but it's a reminder to all that it could save your life!

Great pictures and story. What's next on the list?

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jan 1, 2011 11:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful!

Thanks Noah! Snowmass Lake really is as beautiful as advertised.

As of now I plan to head to the Wind River Range for my trip this year. The San Juans are the backup plan. I also hope to get down to North Carolina and back to Linville Gorge in the spring. A few trips to the mountains each year is about all I usually get in.

Happy New Year,
Mark

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - May 17, 2011 9:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Helmets on class 3

Thanks for the kind words. It WAS a great two days in the mountains. It may not have turned out exactly as planned, but it was a most memorable and rewarding trip.

Thanks for reading through the whole TR. I can get a little long winded...so thanks for staying with me!

Happy Trails,
Mark

gwheel9

gwheel9 - Sep 27, 2015 10:55 am - Hasn't voted

The future

Hello Mark. I stumbled upon your blog and am so thankful that I did. I'm planning a future hike in Colorado and was looking for a summit to plan for. I do believe you led me to it. I see this is an older blog. Have you returned to this location since? Thank you for sharing your experience, great write up.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 28, 2015 9:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The future

Thanks for stopping by! Unfortunately, I have not been back to Snowmass since. I doubt that there is much new from a beta standpoint. You could check over at 14ers.com for that. When you go, which impacts how big the snowfield is, will probably be the biggest thing to figure out.

This is a beautiful area so I am sure you will enjoy it. Mount Sneffels from Blue Lakes Basin is another great choice. Good luck!

Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Return to 'Snowmass: A Long Year Waiting' main page