Strahlhorn

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.45057°N / 8.09761°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9928 ft / 3026 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Map

STRAHLHORN FROM TELLIGRAT

In Switzerland we can find many peaks under the same name. Strahlhorn is example (better known above 4000 m peak in Pennine Alps).
Strahlhorn in Bernese Alps is situated in ridge leading to almost 4000 Wannenhorn.

Peak is just above longest glacier in Alps - Aletsch.
From summit you have stunning view of whole glacier from icefield to end of tongue.

Panorama contains many known alpine peaks, just like: Aletschhorn, Monch, Jungfrau, Eiger - in Bernese Alps, Matterhorn, Mischebel, Fletschhorn - in Pennine Alps, Monte Leone and many other peaks in Lepontine Alps. Because there is no marked trails leading to the summit, you can often be here the one (alone), even in high season.

Ridge leading from Strahlhorn to Wannenghorn

cable car Eggishorn

Getting There

If you want go to Strahlhorn, you must reach village Fiesch, in the district of Goms in the canton of Valais in Switzerland.
Fiesch website
From Fiesch is big height difference, so I suggest to use Eggishorn cable car to first station - Fiescheralp.

Gletscherstube

Red Tape

No limitations.

Camping

Nearest camping is in Fiesch, Also down in the Rhone valley there are many hotels and camping places, I choose nice camping in Brig.
campings in Switzerland
If you want to sleep in heart of the mountains, the best place is mountain hut Gletscherstube, just under Strahlhorn.

Gletscherstube
Strahlhorn with Gletscherstube
Dangerous gully


External Links

My website relation
hikr.org

Route to the top

From Cable Car station Fiescheralp you should follow the signs to Gletscherstube, Marjlela, Talligrat. There are two possibilities - to tunnel - shorter, or through Telligrat - longer, but with interesting view to Fiescher Gletscher. From Gletscherstube there`s no marked path leading to the summit. Sometimes you can meet the stone mounds, but should stick to the southern slope and to seek your own path. Summit is available for non climber without gear (like me), but be careful on the slippery grass and sliding stones. Partly light climbing for the experienced hikers. The middle part is a small fault, where you must find the best pass. I think the best way is a ridge above the glacier, especially in the final part.
Tunnel under Telligrat
Paths
[img:587583:alignleft:small:]