Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Additional Information County: Custer
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6500 ft / 1981 m

Getting There

Tanner Trailhead
Tanner Trailhead
From US Hwy 50 in Canon City, travel south on 9th Street 1.2 miles to Elm Street; right on Elm Street .2 miles to Oak Creek Grade Road; left on Oak Creek Grade Road 4 miles to Tanner Trailhead. 

Parking for Tanner Trail is clearly marked.  There is an information board at the trailhead with hiking and camping information, as well as local regulations.  There are no fees to use the area and there are no facilities in the area.  Wildlife is abundant including elk, deer and turkey.  Due to the mild winters in the Arkansas Valley, Tanner Trail is usable nearly all year round.

The Trail

Sangre De Cristo Mountains
Sangre De Cristo Mountains
Tanner Trail begins at 6500 ft. and ends at 9,340 ft., the summit of Tanner Peak.  Because of the elevation change, the trail moves through several life zones.  The trail is long, difficult and worn by ATVs.  But it is well worth it.  Tanner Peak provides some of the most spectacular views you'll find.  With the Wet Mountain Range to the south, the Sangre De Cristo Range to the West, the South Park Hills and Pikes Peak to the north, and Bighorn Sheep Canyon, the Royal Gorge Hills and the Grand Canyon Hills nearly at the base of the Mountain, the views are breathtaking.  Plan a full day for this hike.  Temperatures in summer months can be quite extreme, so take plenty of water.  And definitely take a camera!

Photos

Unsafe Mine Shaft Warning
Unsafe Mine Shaft Warning
Curley Peak
Curley Peak from Tanner Peak
Sangre De Cristo Mountains
Sangre De Cristo Mountains