"The Becca": Who and what caused the landslide of 2000? /B

"The Becca": Who and what caused the landslide of 2000? /B

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Mixed

Great Landslide 2000 OVERVIEW




In the Year 2000 since Thursday 13th until Moonday 16th, cause the great flood that struck the whole Valley of Aosta, occurred an enormous landslide that, departing from a great fault to form of hole from letters, at the Western base of wall near the "clog", wide also 4 meters and long over 250 (in July of 1966 she was ascertained by the rope I. A. Garzotto-D. F. Cardellina-W. Ferronato, that had looked for at first to climb along the right sector of the wall, abdicating then you cause the precariousness of the rock, the presence of such wide earthy crevasse, then from the 20 to the 30 centimeters and along less than about twenty metres); the same descents in the bed of the ancient basal, of Northwest, couloir for over 700 meters with such a blow of double-bladed razor to devastate him completely, widening him than at least ten times and deepening him of almost the same.




"Bottom left the fall line of the landslide of 800 metres under the Northern Face of Becca",

by sarme

***

The GREAT LANDSLIDE of the FLOOD in October of 2000.


The same, reached the bed of the Comboé's Torrent inside the Walloon of the Dard, it upset the course of it and (formed a knapsack of water with material sundry near the Bridge of Rongachet 1100m about) exploding in the forenoon of the Sunday of October 15 th, 2000, it got depressed on the Fractions of Saint Bénin, Chenaux and Chèniere, just overlooking the Commune of Pollein, causing the downfall and the death of seven people of it, among which a child; widening himself to fan also struck the Fraction of Pian Felina for then to relieve himself in the River Dora Baltea.

GREAT LANDSLIDE at the WESTERNER BASE "of" NORTH FACE "of" BECCA "of" NONA (3142m), by emilius.

***



"Great LANDSLIDE of the FLOOD October 2000",

by Emilio Bertona.


Nell'Anno 2000 dal giovedì 13 al lunedì 16 Ottobre, causa la grande alluvione che colpì l'intera Valle d'Aosta, si verificò un'enorme frana che, partendo da una grande faglia a forma di buca da lettere, alla base occidentale della parete nelle vicinanze dello zoccolo, larga anche 4 metri e lunga oltre 250 (nel Luglio del 1966 fu constatato dalla cordata I. A. Garzotto-D. F. Cardellina-W. Ferronato, che dapprima aveva cercato di salire lungo il settore destro della parete, rinunciandovi poi causa la precarietà della roccia, la presenza di tale crepaccio terroso allora largo dai 20 ai 30 cm. e lungo meno di una ventina di metri); la stessa scese nel letto dell'antico canale per oltre 750 metri con una doppia rasoiata tale da devastarlo completamente, allargandolo di almeno dieci volte ed approfondendolo di quasi altrettanto. La stessa, raggiunto il letto del Torrente Comboé dentro il Vallone del Dard, ne sconvolse il corso ed (formata una sacca d'acqua con materiali varii presso il Ponte di Rongachet 1100 m circa) esplodendo nella mattinata della Domenica del 15 Ottobre 2000, si abbatté sulle Frazioni di Saint Bénin, Chenaux e Chèniere, soprastanti il Comune di Pollein, causandone la rovina e la morte di sette persone, tra le quali un bambino; allargandosi a ventaglio colpì anche la Frazione di Pian Felina per poi scaricarsi nel Fiume Dora Baltea.

***


"Th'enormous LANDSLIDE of 2000 FLOOD & Other"

***




"Great Central Couloir just before the landslide 1999",

by Osw


So we were told with My Fact Sheets in "Folklore & ... Funny Histories & ... Curtain III°" May 24th, 2013, speaking with a small hint of this great misfortune that , along with all the others in the Valley of Aosta, had also characterized the area of ​​the Becca di Nona and the underlying Municipalities of Pollein and Charvensod, placed at the end of the long Dard Gorge. But it had been a little hint that instead deserves more extensive discussion and analysis of the most thorough happened. If nothing else, out of respect for the many victims tral as a child of only two years. An event that seems to have been put, more or less deliberately, into oblivion, perhaps thinking that the same can no longer take place. It is true that the works have been carried out, with the construction of some "bridle" in reinforced concrete immediately behind the three villages and the banks of the Comboé Torrent have been rebuilt and upgraded, but this can be considered sufficient to safeguard a "red zone" today really expanded, where up to about fifty years ago there were only a small number of homes. Moreover untouched by previous events calamitos, still existed? Once just what us guys, habitual visitors to this gorge first to explore and then climb to fifty years ago, jokingly called "The House of the Fool" was built on the edge of the torrent and the floods came when we watched the rushing waters rise gradually until it reaches its walls. The other few buildings, including the Church of Santa Barbara in the highest Village of Saint Bénin at the entrance of the walloon, had been built on the same side and never had been touched by the fury of the waters. This time instead of the branches were swept as bringing themselves behind their load of "Death". Because?



"From Dard Top at the base of Becca in Spring 1966",

by Osw


But what has been the "mechanics" of events? Let's try to find out something.
The large crack at the base of the North Face of Becca was monitored for some time. When the climbers of 1966 had climbed the wall, starting directly from the Fraction Pian Felina (559m), at first he had made ​​a "taste" on the right, or West; the rock march had made them desist, and so had turned to the opposite side. But at that moment they noticed a strange crevasse in the ground between the rocks and the underlying basis of steep moraine: a gap of about twenty feet wide and scarce a span, like a letterboxed. "As a small manhole sewer", I had told my brother Dario, then fourteen. But speaking later in time with my friend Franco Lucianaz, the Hunter of Crystals, had informed me that his father Vénérand was already aware of the fact, as he went to feed the cattles in the ancient Morion Alpage, above the promontory of the same name basis of Becca, of which only the remains of the wretched walls. They called her "La Raye du Morion", or split or ledge, if you want better, above the pasture. These were the years before the First World War and recently had suffered the great flood that had flooded the Plain of Feline or Felenna (ie the feyes or sheep) in those days absolutely free housing, passing by the shores of the small Hamlet of Valpettaz little higher, about twenty yards, and where he still lives nowadays in ancestral home. It was an abandoned field, for grazing sheep and goats, for it was dangerously floodplain expansion of Dora Baltea. They wore no there not even the cows, where we all live today ... But over time it became aware of the regional authorities and, as I said at the beginning, he had carried out a monitoring with sensors placed nearby the "crevasse". In late May of the same year 2000 they came to my School to do an exhibition on "The crack of the Becca di Nona. I listened carefully and observed the projected slides for the kids: talking about 250-300 metres long with an opening that was between the two and a half meters and four in the greater point. I was somewhat perplexed. In the range of lesson I had told him in the hallway of the sighting made ​​in July 1966 and, although not I, nor a graduate in Natural Sciences or a Geologist, I had made the personal considerations, stating that "it was moving very quickly" and perhaps had to wait for a sudden collapse. Incidentally what are in the life of a mountain forty years? A crumb of its existence. They looked at me engrossed and dismissed me with a laconic reply: "It may be". I was used to this type of feedback. In 1985, when, after a week of listening, on Saturday I had gone in the Presidency to report that the wall to the Gym, where I worked for more than ten years, the West side, was moving; or at least respond to the stresses of 40-45 guys with rumblings deaf and claims. Creaking and responding with dark noises. The Dean looked at me weird, "Osvaldo you happen to have drunk a drink too?". But for the sake signaled throughout the City. It was a team of "scientists" who, after careful analysis they say, he asked me if I was an architect or an engineer. I replied that I was not even a surveyor. They discharged me going away laughing. Exactly one month after the wall, forty feet high, collapsed compact coming down as a board. Where shortly after teachers and 450 children were down there doing the interval. They arrived at full speed. "Scientists", apostrophizing them, "scientists" ... They began to give explanations on the climb poles had damaged the wall. No ... the vibrations on the floor of the jumps made ​​by guys who are on the same reflected . They called him "Effect Battalion", like an army that destroys a bridge marching on the same. I listened with a grin and said, "Now I feel that it also moves the wall to the East". Turned pale as a sheet. "Professor, by chance hear other noises?". "Uh, sure, over here, over there ...". A little was true and a little no. They put bolts around the whole school and there are still today. Incidentally in this world if you have one yet instinct and you are able to see beyond the rational, mathematical and scientific become a "Cassandra". Ask the Trojans. A crow, an owl or a gloom merchant. They say that pets are Rational and Instinctive, but we are Spiritual. That's why we make war. By now we have lost the ability to distinguish between small things, maybe only sniffing the wind and listening to the noise, tasting flavors and the scents or odors interpreting. Only what is seen also what is touched can be believed, but Nature does not grant similar benefits. If you are not able to predict (which means to see farther in Time/Space) can not even be prevented; means that always arrives late compared to the unfolding of events, which often are upon thee. N° 2, perpetually late, you will be hit by surprise and when you react you will always be late, too late.
Again I not worried too much. Just over four months after the crash occurred. Collapse is exploded when less believable when by now the Autumn was about to give way to Winter with its frost that everything would be blocked until Spring. Instead rose up a late Summer and it was not that of San Martino, but his heat propagated over due and predictable. But it does not end there, because we are only at the beginning of this unexpected, grim and gloomy History ...




"The North Face of Becca di Nona above Morion 2011",

by Antonio


Così avevamo raccontato con My Fact Sheets in in "Folklore & ... Funny Histories & ... Curtain III°"
del 24 Maggio 2013, parlando con un piccolo accenno di questa grande disgrazia che, insieme a tutte le altre in Valle di Aosta, avevano caratterizzato anche l'area della Becca di Nona ed i sottostanti Comuni di Pollein e Charvensod, posti al termine della lunga Gorgia del Dard. Ma si era trattato d'un piccolo accenno che invece merita ben più estesa trattazione ed un'analisi dell'accaduto più approfondita. Se non altro per rispetto nei confronti delle numerose vittime, tra le quali un bambino di appena due anni. Un evento che pare sia stato messo, più o meno volutamente, nel dimenticatoio, forse pensando che il medesimo non possa più avvenire. Si é vero che sono stati effettuati dei lavori, con la costruzione di alcune "briglie" in cemento armato subito alle spalle dei tre villaggi e gli argini del Torrente Comboé sono stati ricostruiti e potenziati, ma questo può essere considerato sufficiente per salvaguardare una "zona rossa" oggi veramente espansa, laddove fino a circa cinquanta anni orsono esistevano soltanto uno sparuto numero di case? Peraltro mai toccate dai precedenti eventi calamitosi, pur da sempre esistiti. Una volta sol quella che noi ragazzi, abitudinari frequentatori di questa gorgia dapprima a scopo esplorativo e poi per arrampicare, cinquanta anni fa scherzosamente chiamavam "La Casa del Matto" era costruita sul ciglio del torrente e quando arrivavano l'inondazioni osservavamo le acque impetuose salir gradualmente fino a lambirne pericolosamente le mura. Gli altri pochi edifici, compresa la Chiesa di Santa Barbara nel più alto Villaggio di Saint Bénin all'imbocco del vallone, erano stati costruiti lateralmente rispetto al medesimo e mai eran stati toccati dalla furia dell'acque. Questa volta invece son stati spazzati siccome fuscelli portandosi dietro lor carico di "Morte". Per qual specifico motivo?




"Central Couloir over Morion Alp",

by emilius


Ma qual'é stata la "meccanica" degli eventi? Proviamo a cercare di scoprirne qualcosa.
La grande crepa alla base della Parete Nord della Becca era monitorata già da un pò di tempo. Quando la cordata del Luglio 1966 aveva scalato la parete, partendo direttamente dalla Frazione di Piano Felina (559 m), dapprima aveva effettuato un "assaggio" sulla destra, ovvero Ovest; la roccia marcia li aveva fatti desistere per cui s'erano rivolti al lato opposto. Ma in quel frangente avevano notato una strana "crepaccia" in terriccio tra le rocce di base e la sottostante ripida morena: una fessura di circa una ventina di metri scarsi e larga una spanna, a guisa di grande buca da lettere. "Come un piccolo tombino della fognatura", m'aveva raccontato mio fratello Dario, allora quattordicenne. Ma parlando più avanti nel tempo col mio amico Franco Lucianaz, il Cacciatore di Cristalli, m'aveva informato che già suo padre Venerand era a conoscenza del fatto, poiché andava a pascolare i manzi nell'antica Alpe del Morion, soprastante l'omonimo promontorio alla base della Becca, della quale oggi rimangono soltanto le misere mura perimetrali. La chiamavano "La Raye du Morion", ovvero la spaccatura o cengia, se meglio si vuole, soprastante l'alpeggio. Eran gli anni precedenti la Prima Guerra Mondiale e da poco tempo avevano subito la grande alluvione tal da allagare la Piana di Feline o Felenna (cioé delle feyes o pecore) a quei tempi assolutamente priva d'abitazioni, lambendo le sponde del Villaggetto di Valpettaz di poco più in alto a monte, d'una ventina di metri e dove ancor oggidì lui abita nell'atavica casa. Era un campo abbandonato, da pascolo per pecore e capre, poiché costituiva pericolosamente la golena d'espansione della Dora Baltea. Non portavano lì neppure le vacche, dove noi tutti oggi abitiamo ... Ma nel tempo la cosa era venuta a conoscenza delle autorità regionali e, come detto all'inizio, s'era provveduto ad effettuarne monitoraggio con dei sensori collocati nelle vicinanze della fessura. Nel fine Maggio dello stesso anno 2000 erano venuti nella mia Scuola a far una esposizione concernente "La fessura della Becca di Nona. Avevo ascoltato con attenzione ed osservato le diapositive proiettate per i ragazzi: parlavano di 250/300 metri di lunghezza con un'apertura oscillante tra i due metri e mezzo e quattro nel punto maggiore. Rimasi alquanto perplesso. All'intervallo nel corridoio avevo raccontato dell'avvistamento effettuato nel Luglio 1966 e, pur non essendo io né un Laureato in Scienze Naturali né Geologo, avevo effettuato delle personali considerazioni affermando che "si stava muovendo molto rapidamente" e forse dovevano aspettarsi un cedimento improvviso. Daltronde cosa son nella vita d'una montagna una quarantina d'anni? Una briciola della sua esistenza. Mi guardarono assorti e mi liquidarono con una risposta laconica: "Può essere". Ero abituato a sto tipo di risposte. Nel 1985, quando, dopo una settimana d'ascolto, il sabato m'ero recato in Presidenza per segnalare che il muro alle Palestra, dove lavoravo da più di dieci anni, lato Ovest, si muoveva; od almeno rispondeva alle sollecitazioni di 40/45 ragazzi con brontolii sordi e sinistri. Scricchiolando e rispondendo con cupi rimbombi. Il Preside mi guardò strano: "Osvaldo, per caso, te gà bevù un bicèrìn de tropo?". Però per scrupolo segnalò tutto al Comune. Venne un'équipe di "scienziati", che, dopo attenta analisi a lor dir, mi chiese s'ero Architetto oppure Ingegnere. Risposi che neppur Geometra ero. Mi congedarono andando via ridacchiando. Esattamente un mese dopo il muro, alto d'una dozzina di metri, crollò venendo giù compatto come na tavola. Dove poco tempo dopo Insegnanti e 450 ragazzi lì sotto avrebbero dovuto far l'intervallo. Arrivarono di gran corsa. "Scienziati", li apostrofai, "scienziati" ... Incominciarono a dar scientifiche spiegazioni: la salita sulle pertiche aveva danneggiato il muro. No ... le vibrazioni dei salti effettuati sul pavimento da parte dei ragazzi riflettentisi sullo stesso. Lo chiamaron "Effetto Battaglione", come n'esercito che fa crollar un ponte marciandovi sopra. Li ascoltai sogghignando poi dissi: "adesso sento che si muove anche il muro ad Est". Impallidirono come un lenzuolo. "Professore, per caso, non é che senta altri rumori?". "Uh, certo, di qua, di là ...". Un pò era vero ed un pò no. Misero bulloni intorno a tutta la Scuola e vi son ancor oggigiorno. Daltronde a questo mondo se possiedi ancora uno istinto animalesco e sei capace a veder oltre il razionale, il matematico e lo scientifico diventi na "Cassandra". Chiederne ai Troiani. Oppure un corvo, na cornacchia od un gufo. Dicono che gli Animali siano Istintivi e Razionali, noi invece siam Spirituali. Ecco perché facciam guerre e lor no. Ormai abbiamo perso la capacità di distinguere tra piccole cose, magari solo fiutando il vento ed ascoltando rumori, gustando sapori od interpretando i profumi e gli odori. Sol ciò che si vede o si tocca é creduto, ma la Natura non concede simili vantaggi. Se non sei capace a prevedere (che significa vedere più in là nel Tempo e nello Spazio) non puoi neppure prevenire; significa che arrivi sempre in ritardo rispetto allo svolgersi degli eventi, che spesso ti sovrastano. Numero due, perennemente in ritardo e colpito a sorpresa.
Anche stavolta mi strinsi nelle spalle. Poco più di quattro mesi dopo arrivò il tracollo. Il collasso avvenne nel momento meno pensabile, quando ormai l'Autunno stava per cedere il passo all'Inverno che col suo gelo tutto avrebbe bloccato fino a Primavera. Invece insorse un'Estate ritardata e non era quella di San Martino, bensì propagava la sua calura oltre il dovuto ed il prevedibile. Ma tutto non finisce qui, perché siam soltanto all'inizio di questa inopinata, macabra e lugubre Storia ...




"The round & great rocky Morion promontory at the base of North Wall Becca di Nona 2006",

by Emilio Bertona



But what has really happened to ...

Monday, October 16th, luckily because the country was about to be flooded, the rain stopped in the afternoon. The next day was a day shy of the autumn sun that still more timidly "fighting" with the remaining vapor week of rain. When I got home in time for lunch and not seeing my son Alessandro, I was told by my wife that he had gone to film over Chenaux I almost had a stroke. It was very dangerous and bulldozers and trucks had just started to take away the materials of the landslide. The film portrays him while he made ​​with salt frenetic pace behind this heading towards the entrance of the Gorgia of Dard. In the audio you can hear people cursing and ordered him to go back. Everywhere was desolation and the rocks, trees and mud were against the ghostly remains of houses that still smelled of death. When time after the street, while I accompanied the boys in the gym, a policeman of the Prosecutor asked me the movie had to respond in a negative way. First it was my second and Ale had made ​​exclusively for scientific purposes (he was a student of Natural Sciences at the University of Turin). I was sorry, but was this the situation. In the meantime he had unleashed Hell: dozens of trucks carrying away the material, raising a dust that enveloped the village completely, while the asphalt of the road had become a skating rink of mud. Not distinguish between day and night almost exactly as you see in the movies today in Beijing, due to the pollution. Even worse. Furthermore, alarms sounded repeatedly to warn the population in view of other upcoming and subsequent collapse. With my old mother of 81 years old and sick we always had two cars ready at the gate of the house in order to prepare for a flight. Even at night, and this for fifteen days. But it was the same for everyone, everyone had his problem and terror is spreading more and more with the passage of days. Wrapped in the dust sovereign, as with the Ghibli in the Sahara Desert.




"Down there, where the rocky Promontory of Morion splits with a large Y with two separate canals 2006",

by Antonio Giani


Poor Mama! (he died later in the Fall); had already seen the great flood of 14th June 1957 was fled with her two children clinging to her skirt and suitcases in hand to find refuge with relatives in the city. But on this occasion everything was done in a shorter time: a few days of suspense, then when the men had come running from the river, shouting that he was going to overflow were skipped over, women, elderly and children, in that long line of buses dark green color of the Firm Salvitti. Just in time to see a wave fierce, two meters high, which was addressed to us licking the windows on the first floor of our house. Large tanks, up to fifty meters deep, dug between the stream and the country to recover the material suitable for the construction of the same had delayed the arrival of the wave, and this had saved us. I was almost eight years old and my brother Dario five. I remember the indelible image, when less than a mile later the bus had passed the bridge over the Dora at the Pont Suaz saw from the high country completely flooded in a gray frame, that the advance of the afternoon was to become even more murky. Then the city and salvation. After we have forgotten almost everything for about twenty days. They were long but they were gone quickly, and when we returned the games of youth eclipsed the marks left by the water. But not now, here the film never ended, forcing you to live it minute by minute. Personally I'm tired of this stupid situation, in which, starting with the forces of order to continue with all the experts, each expressing its opinion, often contradictory against the other, and also, with the passage of time, compared to its. A total Chaos in which we prepared an immediate escape and then hastily back from that decision, due to false alarms and continuous. One evening, one of the many who fell before the dark, at midnight I went to hear the checkpoint, placed in the middle of the country. Two young men of the "Guardia di Finanza" guarded by hurdles, placed to prevent the passage for those who wanted or had to return to their homes to the East on Regional Road towards Pollein. I have witnessed tragic scenes and sometimes even comical. Wondering if it was better to go away, heard the umpteenth alarm, I answered in the affirmative. As usual. To which I told them that in that position even they were completely safe, but ... The I stated categorically, definitely as a person competent and knowledgeable of the facts to come. They looked at one another with astonishment and doubtful anxiety. When I returned a quarter of an hour later there were no more neither they nor the hurdles. I had been taken seriously. But all of this was really tired; it seemed that a new bag of water would explode at any moment to another. Only one person, I do not know if the Municipality or Civil Defence, had convinced me. His ideas coincided with mine, however, for the avoidance of doubt, I wanted to go for testing. Two days later, in November or the first day of All Saints, with my son Alessandro and my Dean Gianfranco Vicentini we were going to see. Climbing up the entire canyon of the landslide. The father, as to recklessness, he was overcome by his son, loudly and clearly in spite of the remarks made against him on October 17th ...




"Coming Winter on the North Face and the dangerous canyons 2004",

by Antonio


Lunedì 16 Ottobre, per fortuna poiché il paese stava per esser allagato, nel pomeriggio smise di piovere. Il giorno appresso era una giornata di timido sole autunnale che ancor più timidamente "combatteva" coi residui vapori della settimana di piogge. Quando, arrivando a casa per l'ora di pranzo e non vedendo mio figlio Alessandro, mi sentii dir da mia moglie che s'era recato a filmare sopra Chenaux quasi mi venne un colpo. Era molto pericoloso e ruspe e camions avevano appena iniziato a portare via i materiali della frana. Il film da lui realizzato lo ritrae mentre con ritmo forsennato sale alle spalle del paese dirigendosi verso l'ingresso della Gorgia del Dard. Nell'audio si senton persone imprecare intimandogli di tornar indietro. Ovunque era desolazione e le rocce, alberi e melma erano contro i resti di case spettrali che odoravan ancor di morte. Quando tempo dopo per strada, mentre accompagnavo i ragazzi in palestra, un carabiniere della Procura mi chiese il filmato dovetti rispondere in modo negativo. Primo non era mio e secondo Ale lo aveva realizzato esclusivamente a scopo scientifico (era studente di Scienze Naturali all'Università di Torino). Mi dispiacque, ma era così. Nel frattempo s'era scatenato l'Inferno: decine di autocarri trasportavano via il materiale sollevando una polvere che avvolgeva completamente il villaggio, mentre l'asfalto della strada era diventato una "patinoire" in fanghiglia. Non si distingueva quasi più tra giorno e notte, esattamente come vedi nei film odierni a Pechino, causa l'inquinamento. Anche peggio. Inoltre suonavan ripetutamente gli allarmi per avvisar la popolazione in vista d'altri imminenti e successivi crolli. Con la mia vecchia madre di 81 anni ed ammalata tenevamo sempre due auto pronte davanti al cancello di casa onde prepararsi ad una fuga. Anche notturna e ciò per quindici giorni. Ma era così per tutti, ognun avea il suo problema ed il terrore si diffondeva sempre di più col trascorrere dei giorni. Avvolti nella polvere sovrana, come con il Ghibli nel Deserto del Sahara. Povera Mamma! (morirà nell'Autunno successivo); già aveva visto la grande alluvione del 14 Giugno 1957. Era scappata coi suoi due bambini aggrappati alla gonna e le valige in mano per trovar rifugio da parenti in città. Ma in quell'occasione tutto s'era svolto in un tempo più breve: qualche giorno di suspense, poi quando gli uomini eran arrivati di corsa dal fiume gridando che stava per straripare eravamo saltati sopra, donne, anziani e bambini, a quella lunga fila di pulman color verde marcio della Ditta Salvitti. Giusto in tempo per vedere un'onda feroce, alta due metri, che si indirizzava a noi lambendo le finestre al primo piano delle nostre case. Delle grandi vasche, profonde fino a cinquanta metri, scavate tra fiume e paese per recuperare il materiale atto alla costruzione delle medesime aveva ritardato l'arrivo dell'onda e questo ci aveva salvati. Avevo quasi otto anni e mio fratello Dario cinque. Ricordo un'immagine incancellabile, quando meno d'un Kilometro più avanti gli autobus erano transitati sul ponte sulla Dora presso il Pont Suaz vedevamo dall'alto il paese completamente allagato in una cornice grigia, che l'avanzare del pomeriggio faceva diventare ancora di più tenebrosa. Poi la città e la salvezza. Lì abbiamo dimenticato quasi tutto per una ventina di giorni. Eran stati lunghi ma eran passati rapidamente e quando rientrammo i giochi della giovinezza eclissavano i segni lasciati dalle acque. Ma adesso no, qui il film non finiva mai, costringendo a viverlo minuto per minuto. Personalmente ero stufo di sta balorda situazione, nella quale iniziando dalle forze dello ordine per proseguire con tutti gli addetti ai lavori, ognuno esprimeva la propria opininione, molto spesso contradditoria nei confronti delle altre ed anche, col passar del tempo, rispetto alla sua. Un Caos totale nel quale preparavamo una immediata fuga per poi precipitosamente rientrare da quella decisione, causa falsi e continui allarmi. Una sera, una delle tante prima che calasse il buio, a mezzanotte ero andato a sentire al posto di blocco, piazzato nel mezzo del paese. Due giovani della Guardia di Finanza vigilavano presso le transenne, poste ad impedir passaggio per coloro che volevano o dovevano rientrare alle proprie case verso Est sulla Strada Regionale verso Pollein. Ho assistito a scene tragiche ed a volte anche comiche. Chiedendo se fosse meglio andar via, sentito l'ennesimo allarme, mi risposero in modo affermativo. Come al solito. Al che dissi loro che in quella posizione neppur lor eran poi tanto al sicuro, anzi ... L'affermai in modo categorico, come persona decisamente competente ed informata dei fatti a venire. Si guardaron l'un l'altro con stupore e dubbiosa ansia. Quando ritornai un quarto d'ora appresso non c'eran più né loro né le transenne. M'avevan preso sul serio. Ma di tutto questo ero realmente stanco; pareva che una nuova sacca d'acqua dovesse esplodere da un momento all'altro. Sol una persona, non sò se del Comune o della Protezione Civile, m'aveva convinto. Le idee collimavano colle mie, però, a scanso d'equivoci, volevo andar a controllare personalmente. Due giorni dopo, il Primo Novembre o Giorno di Tutti i Santi, con mio figlio Alessandro ed il mio Preside Gianfranco Vicentini saremmo andati a dar n'occhiata. Scalando l'intero canalone della frana. Il padre, in quanto ad imprudenza, stava per superar alla grande il figlio...




"From Felina exploring Becca North Face 1966",

by Ilario Antonio Garzotto


All Saints Day we went up to the Alpe di Les Pousses (1601m) from which descend towards the Torrent de Comboé in the valley below Ponteilles, where the gully ended his mad rush after almost 800 meters from the detachment at the base of the North Face. Already there were Lugon Damiano, World Champion of luge, with his son Matteo and a band of Pollein, who explored the final part of that to try to understand the course of the incident. The landslide, spreading up to compress the torrent was expanding with a great heap of stones soup of water and ready to fall over the middle part of the walloon and the fateful Rongachet Bridge (1100m), what he had done at the moment by large cap then explode. We went to look around ourselves, wandering for a good half hour. Then we began to climb steeply through the canyon pointing the same rights to Becca. The die was cast: we walked into the bowels of the landslide. Defying the same. At the start of the climb was easy but then the couloir became increasingly steep and the climb up those big boulders, often in the balance, tiring; the water flowed just below the same, re-emerged for short distance and then, more and more dirty soil, plunged again apparently disappearing. But where did all this really dirty water that constantly changes color, from yellow to ocher-grenade and even to brown?
Soon we would have known, but first things first. As they went up the channel best delineated as large elongated shell, or rather, the section of a funnel perfectly cut into two pieces that went progressively narrows increasingly raising its edges. Everything was slimy and wet and the side walls were beginning to take on the appearance of a real trap. If something was coming down and you not had offered no escape, smooth and composed of loam "virgin" and yellowish, no chance of escape. Could not the same climb, moreover well wetted by the water remaining in the landslide. It was felt to be out of a Spitfire or a Hurricane of the RAF or, if you prefer, a Messerschmitt 109 or 110 of the Luftwaffe engaged in aerial duel. You might have to tip much as you wanted, as they do, but the feeling was always the same. And here it was better not to go "dive", at the most you could console yourself thinking that the attack did not happen in the queue but right straight in the face. Do not wait to get out of being a little funny situation. By God, had we gone mad? We could go out to the right (West) on the path that connects the Comboé with the Morion Alp (now restored); It was not easy, but possible. But now we were well over the top and should be continued to mount along upwards. Necessarily, maybe hoping to find something else to deal with them. Not "nab" nothing that could better inspire. Our Guardian Angel did not even get off a stone. Everything was absolutely motionless, even those boulders glued with spit, passing in the vicinity of which holding your breath for fear of sol move them with his breath. Only the water flowed, giving the idea of a poisonous snake. Then, suddenly, everything opened, as revealing an arcane Mystery. In front of us the gully opened like a big leaf tripled. In the midst of a big rock, like a ship, serpentine greenish bluish divided the same into three major branching, which had occurred three detachments. Probably without this large wedge of rock which served as yet, everything would collapse simultaneously. Instead, the same injury he had shared in three parts. The right one was short and very steep with a material that seemed to "wobble" and come down from one moment to another; the middle one was passing on the right of this great sailing ship going up vertically against the base of the basal wall. The last widened the left and, impressively, by the same out came a jet of water with a diameter of about a meter and a half. It looked like the discharge of a sewer that threw out at full volume. Here is the explanation of the water down the couloir. The large central rock had kept avoiding the worst. It looked like the Ghost Ship of Dutch Flying and a few sparse larch and fir accounted the sails. A scene that left wandering the mists most exalting. A great and ipressive scenario not reassure that little invited to stay there and that the dark and gloomy wall above made ​​it even more uncertain, better insecure.
Higher up, clinging and scattered above the rocks, peeping, like crows perched on electric wires, the famous sensors that had not sounded the alarm. Because?




"Natural brakes on Comboé Torrent into wild Dard Gorge above Chenaux Village 1985",

by Osw


Il giorno d'Ognissanti salimmo all'Alpe di Les Pousses (1601 m) donde scendere al Torrent de Comboé nel vallone al di sotto di Ponteilles, ove il canalone arrestava la sua folle corsa dopo quasi 800 metri dal distacco alla base della Parete Nord. Già lì erano Damiano Lugon, Campione del Mondo di slittino, col figlio Matteo ed una combriccola di Pollein, impegnati ad esplorar la parte finale del medesimo per cercar di capire lo svolgimento dell'accaduto. La frana, allargandosi fino a comprimere il torrente, s'espandeva con una grande pietraia zuppa d'acqua e pronta a precipitare sopra la parte media del vallone ed il fatidico Ponte di Rongachet (1100 m), quello che aveva fatto momentaneamente da gran tappo per poi esplodere. Andammo a curiosare pur noi, girovagando per na buona mezzoretta. Poi prendemmo a salire decisamente il canalone puntando tramite il medesimo dritti verso la Becca. Il dado era tratto: entravam nelle viscere della frana, sfidandola. All'inizio era facile, poi il couloir diventava sempre più ripido e la salita su quei grandi massi, spesso in bilico, faticosa; l'acqua scorreva appen sotto ai medesimi, riemergeva per breve tratto indi, sporca sempre più di terriccio, s'immergeva nuovamente apparentemente scomparendo del tutto. Ma donde veniva fuori tutta sta'acqua continuamente cangiante colore, dal granata al giallo ocra ed anche al marron?
Presto l'avremmo saputo, ma andiam con ordine. Man mano che si saliva il canale meglio si delineava, come grande conchiglia allungata o, meglio, la sezione d'un imbuto perfettamente tagliata in due parti che progressivamente andava restringendosi alzandone sempre più i bordi. Tutt'era viscido e bagnato e le pareti laterali incominciavano a prender sembianze d'una vera e propria trappola. Se veniva giù qualcosa e si doveva scappare non offrivano, lisce e composte da terriccio "vergine" e giallastro, nessuna possibilità di fuga. Impossibile scalar le medesime, oltrettutto ben bagnate dall'acqua residua alla frana. L'impressione era d'esser su d'uno Spitfire od un Hurricane della R.A.F. o, se preferite, un Messerschmitt 109 o 110 della Luftwaffe impegnati in duello aereo. Potevi capovolgerti quanto volevi, come fan loro, ma l'impressione era sempre la medesima. E qui era meglio non scendere "in picchiata", al massimo potevi consolarti pensando che l'attacco non sarebbe arrivato in coda bensì diritto, dritto in fronte. Non si vedeva l'ora di venir fuori da sta poco simpatica "situation". Per Dio, eravam diventati matti? Potevamo uscire a destra (Ovest) sul sentiero che collega il Comboé all'Alpe del Morion (ora ristrutturato); non era facile, ma possibile. Ma adesso eravamo ben più in alto e si doveva continuare a montar sù. Obbligatoriamente, magari sperando di trovar qualcosa d'altro per venirne a capo. Non "beccammo" niente che potesse meglio ispirar. Il nostro Angelo Custode non fece scendere neppur na pietra. Tutto era assolutamente immomile, anche quei massi incollati con lo sputo, passando nei pressi dei quali trattenevi il respiro per paura di smuoverli col sol fiato. Soltanto l'acqua scorreva, dando l'idea d'un serpente velenoso. Poi, d'improvviso, tutto s'aprì, come svelando un arcano Mistero. Davanti a noi il canalone si apriva a guisa di gran foglia triplicandosi. In mezzo una grande roccia, come un bastimento, di serpentinite verdastra bluastra divideva il medesimo in tre grandi ramificazione, dov'erano avvenuti i tre distacchi. Probabilmente senza questo grande cuneo roccioso, facente da àncora, tutto sarebbe collassato simultaneamente. Invece il medesimo aveva diviso il danno in tre parti. Quello di destra era breve e molto ripido con un materiale che sembrava "barcollare" e venir giù da un momento all'altro; quello centrale passava sulla destra (Ovest) di questo grande veliero salendo in verticale contro lo zoccolo basale della parete. L'ultimo s'allargava molto sulla sinistra e, impressionantemente, dallo stesso fuorusciva una getto d'acqua dal diametro di circa un metro e mezzo. Sembrava lo scarico d'una fogna che buttava fuor a tutto volume. Ecco la spiegazione dell'acqua giù pel couloir. La grande roccia centrale aveva tenuto scongiurando il peggio. Sembrava il Vascello Fantasma dell'Olandese Volante e qualche rado larice ed abete ne contraffacevano le vele. Una scena sinistra che le nebbie vaganti maggiormente esaltavan.
Più in alto, abbarbicati e sparsi sopra le rocce, facevan capolino, come corvi appollaiati sui fili della corrente, i famosi sensori che non avean suonato l'allarme. Perché?




"The Northern Face of Becca with its couloirs and its landslides (in bottom right) from Aosta Town 2005",

by livioz


Let's try to draw some conclusions




"A great landslide at base above the Morion 2005",

by emilius


The Flying Dutchman had frightened the Dean & me; we stopped against the keel of his silent ship. Ale went on to reach the great yellow "crack" at the base.
To no avail our calls shouting at him that he was very, very dangerous. It does not stop the Youth threatening Risk and still less by the Verbal Warnings. The large crack was up there with her ​​mouth wide open ocher. He climbed over boulders stacked steeply reaching the same. Above the wall was even more gloomy than usual. I was really angry, mostly with myself. We went down to where we had arrived, and arrived at the junction with the trail to the Morion, clinging to the nail managed to escape from this damn gut. To traverse through the easy path through the forest towards the Comboé was comfortable, but not relaxing. At each step the path rumbled with dark and sinister noises under our boots, as if we were walking over the void. They first talked about a gap of 100.000 cubic meters of material, then 150.000, and finally, they said the newspapers and television stations, 200.000. Ale pontificated that under our feet in the future there were in anticipation for 2.000.000/2.500.000, the entire forest. Miserably we were silent, you said "a Scientist". At the fork went down to Ponteilles (1706m) with its beautiful waterfall, where, a little farther away and into the woods, my acquaintance Bethaz, Mountain Guide, part of the Forestry Corps, having observed everything through binoculars told us that we were. And he had a point, but there were clarified ideas. Like the one that the landslide was not dropped as claimed, wanting to believe that, from the left branch of the large Y, or to the East Morion; this was intact and clean. Everything was down unequivocally on the opposite or right branch, the one where the sensors were placed, who had not sounded the alarm. It seems that at that time were "off", disappears as if disappears the black box of a plane. I wonder why? There must have been of employees? It ended with five indictments, four acquittals and a prescription. But then it was exclusively the fault of Becca? So it seems. But it seems everything is in order to the top, so it's about the bottom? Where once the course of the Torrent Comboé was curbed after the small waterfall above Chenaux, from a series of large boulders that had the function of big brake has been done, just behind the village, a large clearing a hundred metres long and fifty large, waves build the outlet for the water.




"Climbing in Gym over the natural Gorge 1966",

by Ilario Antonio Garzotto


When the landslide is falling down, after missing the small waterfall, instead of meeting this natural barrier has found an ideal springboard. For this reason, in my opinion, is planing with a leap above the houses by exploding them. A case? It may be, also I respond in this manner. But first, over the millennia, beyond any consideration, nothing had happened. A case? May be. Beyond these considerations to remember to record the danger of this wall, once again, if ever there was a need, as evidenced by a significant landslide occurred in the right channel in the Western sector of Wall in August 2005, the sound of which was heard as far as Aosta: the collapse of a rocky rib engraved in white on the moraine and then precipitating the gully immediately East of the landslide of 2000 I went to look in October 16th 2007 was the sixth time that I climbed through this "precarious" wall, plus another joint between the wall and "Crestone", and I think it's the last. With that out of my brother Dario in July 24th, 1966 are sects and half.
Enough, I think we have given enough in Family ...




"Becca di Nona a dangerous Face. But why? 2007",

by om


L'Olandese Volante aveva spaventato il Preside e me; ci arrestammo contro la chiglia della sua silenziosa Nave. Ma Ale continuò per raggiungere la "fessura".
A nulla servirono i nostri richiami gridandogli che era molto, molto pericoloso. Non si ferma la Gioventù con il Pericolo ed ancora di meno tramite i Richiami. La grande fessura stava lì sopra con la sua enorme bocca spalancata color ocra. S'arrampicò su massi ripidamente accatastati raggiungendo la stessa. Sopra la parete era ancora più tetra del solito. Ero veramente arrabbiato, maggiormente con me stesso. Scendemmo per dove eravamo arrivati e, giunti all'incrocio con il sentiero per il Morion, aggrappandoci con le unghia riuscimmo ad evadere da questo stramaledetto budello. La traversata tramite il comodo sentiero attraverso la foresta verso il Comboé fu comoda, ma non rilassante. Ad ogni passo il sentiero rimbombava con cupi e sinistri rumori sotto i nostri scarponi, come se noi camminassimo sopra il vuoto. Avevan dapprima parlato di un distacco di 100.000 metri cubi di materiale, quindi 150.000 ed infine, dichiaravano i giornali e le emittenti televisive, 200.000. Ale pontificò che sotto i nostri piedi nel futuro ce n'erano in previsione per 2.000.000/2.500.000, l'intera foresta. Miserevolmente tacemmo, l'affermava "uno Scienziato". Al bivio scendemmo verso Ponteilles (1706 m) con la sua bella cascata, dove, poco più in là ed al riparo nel bosco, il mio conoscente Bethaz, Guida Alpina e facente parte del Corpo Forestale, avendo osservato il tutto tramite il binocolo ci diede dei matti. E non aveva tutti i torti, però c'eravamo chiarite le idee. Come quella che la frana non era scesa come affermavano, volendo ciò far credere, dal ramo di sinistra della grande Y, ovvero ad Oriente del Morion; quest'era intatta e completamente pulita ed integra. Tutto era sceso inequivocabilmente sull'opposto di destra, quello dov'erano piazzati i sensori, che non avevano suonato l'allarme. Chissà perché? Ci saranno stati degli addetti? Tutto si concluse con cinque rinvii a giudizio: quattro assoluzioni ed una prescrizione ... Ma allora era esclusiva colpa della Becca? Così sembra. Però se pare tutto in regola verso l'alto, così é riguardo alla parte in basso? Dove una volta il corso del Torrent Comboé era frenato, dopo la piccola cascata sopra Chenaux, da una serie di grandi massi che avevano la funzione di grande freno é stata effettuata, proprio a ridosso del villaggio, una grande spianata lunga un centinaio di metri e larga cinquanta, onde costruire la presa per l'acqua. Quando la frana é caduta in basso, dopo aver saltato la piccola cascata, invece di incontrare questo sbarramento naturale ha trovato un trampolino di lancio ideale volando sopra le abitazioni. Perciò, a mio avviso, é planata con un balzo facendo esplodere le stesse per compressione. Un caso? Può essere, anche io rispondo in questa maniera. Però prima, nei millenni, al di là di ogni considerazione, nulla era successo. Un caso? Può essere. Al di là di queste doverose analisii v'é da registrare la pericolosità di questa parete, ancora una volta, se mai ce ne fosse bisogno, evidenziata da un'ulteriore notevole frana nel canale di destra avvenuta nel settore Occidentale della parete all'inizio dell'Agosto del 2005, il rumore della quale é stato udito fin giù ad Aosta: il cedimento d'una costola rocciosa ha inciso di colore bianco il canalone precipitando poi sulla sottostante morena subito ad Est della frana del 2000. Son andato a curiosare il 16 Ottobre 2007. Era la sesta volta che salivo per questa "scassata" parete, più un'altra "mista" tra parete e "Crestone", e penso che sia proprio veramente l'ultima. Con quella di mio fratello Dario, 24 Luglio 1966, fan 7 e mezzo.
Basta, ritengo che abbiam dato più che abbastanza in Famiglia ...





"A new white landslide at base over the Morion 2005",

by emilius





Comments

No comments posted yet.