Viewing: 1-4 of 4
BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 22, 2010 11:25 am - Voted 10/10

Yow!

You guys packed a lot of NC into a short trip! The thing about the Crest Trail is that more often than not it's socked in up there. That's just the way it is. You have to get lucky for the views. I have a few times, but more often than not you're socked in, often in heavy rain.

I am almost ashamed to admit that I have never been to the top peaks of Grandfather Mountain. I've never bagged them. I think it's the road and all of the development on the mountain. It just turns me off.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jun 22, 2010 10:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yow!

Bob,
I keep thinking I should slow down and smell the flowers on these trips, but I never seem to. It would have been nice to see the views in the Blacks, but that's the way it goes sometimes. As for Grandfather Mountain, I have always felt the same way about it as you have, but hiking up from the Parkway eliminates a lot of that development. I would think you could get all the way to MacRae without having to deal with it. Give it a whirl sometime and let me know what you think (go up the Cragway though).

Thank you for all of your thorough responses to all of my PMs leading up to this trip. Your input definitely helped.

Have fun in Yellowstone.
Mark

crussellbowden

crussellbowden - Apr 30, 2015 12:15 am - Hasn't voted

Crummy

Pretty bummed that you didn't get to knock out the B.C. either day...it sounds like a real beast, but it sounds extremely rewarding as well!

I haven't been to the area yet (four months new to NC) but I'm planning a trip for the near future...your TR has me pretty bummed about the weather. I'm hoping (against odds, it seems), that my first go in May or June will be successful. Do you think the trail will be clear at all this early, or do you think it'll be especially overgrown?

Thanks for the info.
- Curtis

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Apr 30, 2015 8:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Crummy

Welcome to NC. Like many places, the weather can be a crap shoot. I've had a number of cloudy/rainy days, but more often than not I've had some beautiful days in the southern Appalachians.

If I was only going to pick one end, I would start at Bowlens Creek. Supposedly the views are better (and more numerous) from that end compared to the Mt. Craig end. As for the trail being overgrown, we went in early June and you can see how thick it was. Early May might be a bit clearer, but the trees may not be green yet so not so beautiful - and don't underestimate the difference between the brown of April/early May vs. the green of late May/June.

Shoot me a PM if you want some opinions on areas to go to in NC. Unlike out west, you can easily spend an entire day walking in the woods for one open view of the mountains. So choose your hikes wisely!

Western NC is one of my favorite areas, so enjoy.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'The Black Crest Trail: Disappointments and Discoveries' main page