The Pros and Cons of Day Hiking with a Guided Group or: My Plain of the Six Glaciers Hike Trip Report

The Pros and Cons of Day Hiking with a Guided Group or: My Plain of the Six Glaciers Hike Trip Report

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Why a guided day hike?

I know that most of you will never choose to day hike with a guided group, at least in your home country or current situation so I thought I would write about how I ended up doing this last summer and my evaluation of the overall experience. Some of you may recall my fall on the Skyline Trail, Mt. Rainier in 2009, which although the hiking was definitely the highlight of my Washington state experience; broken ankle and all, it scared the dickens out of my husband. So, not wanting me to hike alone on unfamiliar turf at higher altitude he insisted that I look into hiking with a guide when we ventured to Banff and Lake Louise.

Before leaving home, I researched the options available online and pre-selected the # 2 or smaller operator in size and offerings rather than the huge, one-size-fits all group which is so well known in the Banff area with its name plastered on every placard, bus and hotel brochure rack it seemed. But I actually waited until I arrived in the Banff area to walk-in to their main booking office to talk with someone about the tour I wanted. Since it was mid-September and my days within the week were flexible, not the height of the tourist season, this worked out fine. I would not advise this approach for booking in many situations though! And if my first choice had been fully booked, I could have discussed other possible hikes and booked one right there as well.

+++ Positives of Guided Day Hiking

So, for a 6+ hour guided hike to the Plain of Six Glaciers Tea House what did I get for my $75?

Guided hiking tours like this in Banff have a central meeting place or will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel in the immediate area, provide a “huge” packed lunch of your choosing from a menu, water bottles, spare poncho, trained guide who also takes photos (no Splattski’s necessary!), entertains, jokes and teaches as you ask questions, prods gently and never moves the group ahead JUST as you catch up! He also probably drives your bus from the central location to the trailhead and learns your name, where you are from and judges if you are adequately dressed for the hike. He can point out and identify all the wildlife you might miss as you’re hiking. There’s a first aid kit and extra snacks, maps, guidebooks and planning already done. And about the lunch, I chose the prime rib sandwich which was humongous and it came with fruit, cookies, cheese and a juice box. We weren’t eating lunches this nice at our condo!

I learned about the “Deathtrap” and the Abbot Hut and geology of the area and when we heard the rumblings of avalanches we were reassured and thrilled as our guide pointed out a recent massive one! And let’s not forget, my husband wasn’t worrying about me while I was hiking this year! Another positive sign for me was the fact that this tour group had us complete an evaluation of the hike, guide and experience as a whole, on the ride back to the drop-off location. We could also comment online as well.

Mt. Victoria Avalanche - A Big One!We heard several rumblings as we ascended the trail that day but were lucky enough to actually photograph the remnants of this avalanche.

--- Negatives of Guided Day Hiking

And, what are the downsides for day hiking with a guided group besides the cost?

I’ve hiked with small and large groups for most of my life and anytime you put more than a couple people together on a trail for more than few minutes you can run into problems. Groups can start to stretch out, people get way behind, someone really can’t keep up or becomes frustrated because they really want to ‘run’ ahead and wait for the group and so on. Any leader or guide who can appease everyone and set a pace that works well for the group and gets everyone to the goal on time is successful!

Well for me, I knew that as someone who is not a typical hiker in the situation I was in (over 60, female and slightly out-of-shape), I was going to have to work to keep up with the group and I did. The make-up of my group ranged from about age 22 to 63 with mostly young females and 2 males. Our guide did a great job of waiting for everyone to catch up at each stopping point on the way up the trail to the Tea House and not just zooming on before I had a chance to catch my breath.

Our hiking group to the Tea HouseMost of my group is shown here.


But a downside to this is that I was usually last and I hate to be last and I couldn’t really set my own pace! I also like to carry on a conversation with people as I hike, especially with interesting new ones such as the French, Swiss and English hikers in our group and it wasn’t really possible for me to do this except on the flat stretches and the descent.

Another negative for traveling like this is not being able to stop just anywhere I wanted, especially to take photos on the hike up. I really hated spending only one hour at the top and not venturing beyond the Tea House although some people said that the trail was closed from that point on. If I had been hiking on my own I would have spent at least one more hour after lunch at the top wandering around taking pictures.

As for route-finding, the trail to the Tea House is a no-brainer and not at a high enough altitude to cause me worry but I could see where if I hadn’t already spent 4 days in the Banff area and if I had any major health issues this could have been a problem. There were only a couple short, steep drop-offs but the uphill gradient is demanding and this trail did challenge me!

Trip Report – Hiking the Trail of Six Glaciers and to the Tea House

This hike had been on my ‘life list’ for many years and was worth every grinding step upward! In fact, I had a poster made of this shot showing me on the trail with Lake Louise and the hotel in the background and it sits on the wall in my office at work reminding me of this beautiful place every day. I was very lucky and got see mountain goats, pica, ground squirrels and an avalanche. And I was happy to be there, happy to be hiking! I totally agree with Bob Sihler who says on his Plain of Six Glacier’s Route page:


“This outing is also nice for those whose serious mountaineering days are behind them but who aren't quite ready to let go of that rarefied world of rock and ice, or for hikers who want to get into these spectacular mountains a bit but whose interests tend toward half-day trips and the safety of the trail.”


Yes, there were crowds in the parking lot but arriving and leaving on a bus helped with that. And once you walk past the end of the lake you do leave the crowds behind. Our guide quoted the stats but it’s something like less than 5% of all Lake Louise visitors step off the paved trail around the lake. My husband and I drove up to Lake Louise the prior Saturday just to walk around and found it crowded yet we still easily snagged a small table in the hotel deli and gazed out the large picture window watching tourists, a wedding, hikers and blooming flowers in the gardens. Do not pass up this most photographed lake area in the world (some say) just because it is popular and a bit hard to find parking. You will not regret your decision.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-10 of 10
lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 20, 2012 9:35 am - Voted 10/10

Planning ahead ..

Actually, it's common sense to plan ahead on any vacation,
especially if you're experiencing an area for the first time.

When I attempted Mount Rainier, I opted for a guide service
because I knew it'd be safer than having to put my entire trust
into another person (persons) who may not know the difference
between an ice axe and a canoe paddle.

River rafting is the same way. I'd rather go with somebody who
has experience under their belt, and patience under their hat.

Of course, that's just ME. Suppose there's individuals with an
entire different attitude on Life, who are comfortable moving
completely out of their comfort zone and loving every minute ...

outstanding article, Kathy!

silversummit

silversummit - Feb 20, 2012 11:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Planning ahead ..

I agree Larry about using a guide service in general for unfamiliar areas especially for overnight trips. It's just that part of me really hated to give in to a guided service for a day hike on a well-marked trail. I fought that battle with myself for months before the trip but ended up deciding to go for the greater good so to speak.

I appreciate your thoughts Larry!
Kathy

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 20, 2012 7:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Planning ahead ..

Okay, I have a better understanding of where you're coming from ..
Suppose there's a BIG difference between a day hike and an
over-niter on glaciers ..

But, I think you made the RIGHT decision ... Sometimes, you gotta COMPROMISE and stay within your comfort zone, even though a part of you is screaming ..

"Oh Life, There Must Be More ..."

Besides, the lunch you got sounded like the Cat's Meow.

forgues9999

forgues9999 - Feb 24, 2012 7:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Beuatiful place

I have to agree that hikin in the Lake Louise area and this hike in particular rates among the best in the world. And I'm not just saying that as a Canadian :) If you hit this area in beuatiful weather then all hikes are stunning...

silversummit

silversummit - Feb 27, 2012 1:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beuatiful place

Absolutely true! We had a week of perfect weather and every hike and drive was great. If only I were 20 years younger.....without a herniated disk etc.!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 27, 2012 8:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Beuatiful place

"We can't return ... we can only look, behind
From where we came ...
And go round and round and round,
In the CIRCLE game ..."

lisae

lisae - Sep 4, 2013 5:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Guided Trips

I was interested in this because of the pros and cons. While I prefer hiking alone, or with my husband, I have gone a few guided trips. The major reason for these trips is to gain some familiarity with a new area, which I find useful when I plan future trips. For example, I recently took a trip to the Four Corners Area with a group. I did it because I wanted to spend more time in the area, but I felt like looking at maps alone didn't give me enough information to plan a trip. Now I have a better feel for the area and what I want to do.

silversummit

silversummit - Sep 6, 2013 8:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Guided Trips

Good rationale Lisae. Using a guided group trip is a great way to become familiar with an area. I could easily return and do the same or another hike on my own there in the future.

How did you like the Four Corners area? We were through there in 2000 but didn't stop to tour really since it was so hot that August. So hot, I got sunburned through my car window!

Thanks for reading my TR!

Kathy

lisae

lisae - Sep 6, 2013 9:36 am - Hasn't voted

Four Corners

Kathy, I really liked the Four Corners area. I am planning a trip for next spring right now, in fact. I am hoping I can spend up to two weeks there, but will see what my work pressures will be. I am planning a long and short version of the trip.

silversummit

silversummit - Sep 6, 2013 12:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Four Corners

Then definitely write a TR with lots of pictures! Looking forward to seeing more about your trip!

Viewing: 1-10 of 10

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.