Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Mar 8, 2006 5:54 pm - Voted 10/10

from technical to

more philosophical comments:

- inline image captions may be worthwhile
- several good books to list
- there is an as-of-yet unlisted range in the Uintas, the Grandaddy Mtns, it deserves a mention
- most individual peaks are included as children both at the overall Uinta page and at sub-area pages, and I wonder if that's appropriate given that the list of summits no longer even fits on a page. But it is the same issue with many range/subrange hierarchies in SP v2...

Scott

Scott - Mar 8, 2006 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: from technical to

several good books to list

Good idea. I may need help with this one, though I listed some. I actually haven't purchased or read any of the newer guidebooks since moving from Utah in 2001, though I do have some older ones, now out of print (except for Utah Mountaineering Guide III). Let me know if you have any comments on the books I posted, or if you know of any more that should.


there is an as-of-yet unlisted range in the Uintas, the Grandaddy Mtns, it deserves a mention

Hmmm, I thought it would fall under the High Uintas Wilderness Area, except for the southern most slopes. If not, what should I mention? I've climbed Grandaddy East and West from the pass, but not the hills to the south. If you know more, maybe I could get some info.

most individual peaks are included as children both at the overall Uinta page and at sub-area pages, and I wonder if that's appropriate given that the list of summits no longer even fits on a page. But it is the same issue with many range/subrange hierarchies in SP v2...

Yeah, I thought of that, but I don't see a way around it. When someone does a search on the Uinta Mountains under Area & Range, I would like all the Uinta Mountains to be listed. On the other hand, having them divided into these three sub-groups makes a lot of sense since the mountain character, time required, seasonal access, and difficulty and elevations of most peaks, is so vastly different between the three subgroups. Makes sense to keep them separated there as well.

I wouldn’t know how well this parent/children thing will work the best way, but for now, I guess I’ll keep it the way it is.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Mar 8, 2006 8:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: it would fall under the High Uintas Wilderness

Oh. I guess I've never seen the Wilderness Bdry on the topos there, but it probably still lies within its borders. BTW have you got any link or map image to show where the boundaries of the Wilderness Area are located? I just looked one up on wilderness.net but it's got too low resolution to be really useful.

Scott

Scott - Mar 8, 2006 8:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: it would fall under the High Uintas Wilderness

BTW have you got any link or map image to show where the boundaries of the Wilderness Area are located?

No. I thought of it, but the topo maps all seem to be outdated. If you find one let me know!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Uinta Mountains' main page