Whitecap Lakes

Whitecap Lakes

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Upper whitecap Lake

My neighbor Alan and I went on a trek to Whitecap Lakes, near the MT/ID border in July 08. We started at the Boulder creek Trailhead, went over Boulder pass into Idaho. We followed that trail for another two miles then cut across and side hilled it to another ridge and setted in for the night. The next day more side hilling and then we dropped down into White cap lake. Even though it was down hill now, it was still tough hiking down to the middle lake. We camp there, plenty of fish in both lakes. The next day we hiked up the South side of Tin Cup Ridge and then droped down into the cirque above Tin Cup Lake, I was excited to get back to a trail. There were some excellent camp site just below the cirque, although we choose to camp down by the lake. From the Lake its about 8 miles down to the trailhead.
There are alternative routes to Whitecap Lakes, It is my understanding that the old trail to Whitecap lake has not been maitained for many years.
Whitecap LakeNice place to camp at the North end of the lake
Upper Whitecap Lake
Upper Whitecap LakeLooking Down on Upper and middle Whitecap Lake
Mountain Fountain 1I was able to find a few places to water up along the way
Shooting Starswe encounterd lots of wildflowers including these Shooting Stars
Indian PaintbrushIndian Paintbrush
Tin Cup CreekTin Cup Creek
Fire WeedFireweed
[img:478269:aligncenter:medium:Hiking up the South side of Tin Cup Ridge] [img:471553:alignright:medium:Tin Cup Creek ][img:478268:alignleft:medium:Fireweed] [img:456578 :alignleft:small:Tin Cup Creek ]

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 19, 2009 2:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Hey Patrick ?

I love how this album page of Whitecap Lakes is "constructed" to
tell a story. I've never visited the MT/ID border, but I'm sure
there's many impressive peaks and mountain lakes in that direction.

I'm not familiar with the Bitteroots, but I've studied them on the map. Is there a special peak that you like, or do you prefer them all? Do you tend to get "snowed in" during the winter ???

You mentioned there being some fish in the lakes. What kind of
fish all you referring to - Rainbows? Do they have land-locked
salmon in Montana, or does it get too cold for them ???

Nice pictures! I have to take my wife up there to visit it sometime. Take care...

Larry of AZ

Pack Addict

Pack Addict - Mar 19, 2009 9:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hey Patrick ?

Thanks for the compliment.
The Bitterroots run about 90 miles long forming part of the montana/Idaho Border. I tend to go hiking where there is water accessible along the trails so I can take my dog, Chaffin Creek area is really nice, Three Lakes and if you go beyond the Lakes there are several peaks over 9000ft. The valley floor does not get much snow, but you can easily run into snow in the higher elevations well into July and some of the peaks will hold snow year round. You can catch cutthroat, brookies,rainbow and golden trout. I have not seen any salmon around here. Fall is a great time to visit, cooler temps and the changing colors are a great time to get in a few hikes.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2