A Blessed hidden under the Aosta Mountains & above Villair's Castle

A Blessed hidden under the Aosta Mountains & above Villair's Castle

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Holy & Blessed tiny Overview

Photos of this article are by Emilio Bertona aka emilius 2002, Antonio Giani 2010, om 2007 & Osw 2015.
Where now to go up running the Skyrunners, once were the Saints and the Blesseds that they went to pray. So different but basically the same, since at the least always directed to the Mountains and Heaven. I do not know if it is better or worse than the image, or simply distorted of the Reality. Perhaps it rotated 45 ° and in any case essentially different such as to photographing two unequal Ages. A revolt to the physical and material well, the other inclined to the development and cultivation of Spirituality. So different but basically the same, since at the least always directed to the Mountains and to the Heaven. Years pass and even Centuries, the castles, a sign of human power, slowly deteriorate and degrade almost to shatter and disappear. Even the protagonists and their voices fade away into the nearby forest, while it remains the rustle of the torrent's waters flowing into the wild gorge under the arched roof of a medieval bridge. A rocky gorge, almost horrid and dreadful, that descends tortuous and hidden below the overhanging Comba Senevé or Cénevé for accompanying in its design very wild adjacent Val Sainte or Valseinte. But always they remain the trails with their track towards a Search for what are in High ...
Low North Valley / C 1 - Under 1185 Villair Castle 2015
Aosta & Surr ...  XI° Century Quart Savoy Castle 2015
Aosta Town / B-bis Quart Chateau North Side 2015
Dove adesso salgono correndo gli Ski-Runners, una volta andavano i Santi ed i Beati a pregare. Non sò se sia un'immagine migliore o peggiore, oppure semplicemente distorta della Realtà. Forse ruotata di 45° e comunque essenzialmente diversa e tale da fotografare due Ere diseguali. Una rivolta al benessere fisico e materiale, l'altra incline allo sviluppo ed alla coltivazione della Spiritualità. Così differenziate ma in fondo uguali, poiché da ultimo sempre rivolte alle Montagne ed in direzione del Cielo. Passano gli anni ed anche Secoli, i castelli, segno del potere umano, lentamente deteriorano e si degradano quasi a frantumarsi ed a scomparire. Anche i protagonisti e le loro voci si dileguano dentro la vicina foresta, mentre rimane il fruscio delle acque del torrente che scorrono nella gola selvaggia sotto la volta arcuata di un ponte medioevale. Un orrido roccioso che scende tortuoso e nascosto dalla soprastante Comba di Senevé accompagnando nel suo disegno la Val Sainte o Valseinte. Rimangono però sempre i sentieri con la loro traccia verso una Ricerca di ciò che stà in Alto ...

Here moves Blessed Emeric ...

Above the Commons of Aosta, St. Christophe Quart, under the watchful eye of Becca di Nona. On the other side. While here dominates the dual Tsaat a l'Etsena. Here he lived, moves and prayed Blessed Emeric. Above the castle built in 1185 by Lords of Quart, where he was born before he became Bishop Aosta and of the whole Valley. In add to Saint Anselm, Saint Grat, Saint Orso, Saint Giocondo the ancient Diocese of Aosta Town also includes Saint Emeric or Emerik, even Americo by Quart. One Holy born in the above Castle of Villair in mid XIII° Century was often mistaken for a Hermit or Saint. Instead is a Blessed who was going to do penance and to pray in a hermitage above the castle just that as a result of these events became the Val Sainte or Valseinte, under the "his" Tsaat a l'Etsena, this last over the hills with various pastures and alps of his native country. Now his figure wavers between History & Legend and even his name Emeric, Emerico and, most likely, Americo oscillates between the three local versions. However, apart from some forward-looking Map, we find in the Quart's Hill the Village Amerique, while the locality on the bottom of the valley is called Région Amerique or America. That has nothing to do with the Continent of America but, rather, recalls an old popular name in honor and memory of the Hermit, and also the Holy Blessed...
Aosta
Becca di Nona...
around four ... Jeanceyaz down to Villair Castle 2015
Sopra Città di Aosta ed i Comuni di St. Christophe e Quart, sotto sguardo vigile di Becca di Nona. Dall'altra parte, mentre qui domina la duplice Tsaat a l'Etsena.
Qui viveva, si muoveva e pregava il Beato Emerico. Sopra il Castello costruito nel 1185 dai Signori di Quart, dov'era nato prima di diventarne Vescovo di Aosta e dell'intera Valle. Oltre ad Anselmo, Grato, Orso e Giocondo l'antica Diocesi di Aosta annovera pur Sant' Emerico o Americo di Quart. Nato nel Castello del Villair a metà del XIII° Secolo é spesso scambiato per Eremita o Santo. Invece é un Beato che andava a far penitenza pregando in un Eremo sopra il castello, di quella che a seguito di queste vicende divenne la Val Sainte o Valseinte, sotto la "sua Tsaat a l'Etsena. Ormai la sua figura vacilla tra Storia e Leggenda ed anche il nome di Emeric, Emerico e, più probabile, Americo oscilla tra le tre versioni. Però, a parte qualche Carta lungimirante, troviamo nella Collina di Quart il Villaggio di Amerique, mentre la località sul fondo valle é detta Région Amerique od America. Che non centra nulla con l'America ma che, piuttosto, ricorda una vecchia denominazione popolare in omaggio e memoria dell'Eremita ed anche del Santo Beato ...

As we go there?

As you reach the Oratory? There are different ways of reaching the oratory of Blessed Emeric. Among the various we try to analyze some of them:
With departure from valley floor or by the Villair of Quart
1)-
From the Château de Quart Northern side, left in the bottom right a detour with steep farm dirt road that comes from the junction 725 metres after the Village of Verney, apart from a small path marked but not numbered rising towards the Northeast. A first series of steep switchbacks, protected by a wooden fence, beyond the rocky promontory above until you reach first the hill 1018 metres and then flexing further North, closer to a small stream dried; a successive series of hairpin bends into the forest leads to the Torrent du Château. Crossed twice the same, with a short diagonal towards the Northeast in the thick Bois (forest) of Emeric or Americo, you reach the Oratory with small altar topped by a cross (1130/40m; T/E; 1h'00/1h'15), at the farm road that descends from the Pasture of Valseinte (1399/40m), in West by Avisod (Trois Villes).
Low Northern ... Villair de Quart Castle of 1185 2015
Aosta Town / B-bis Etollin Church with Bell Tower 2015
Aosta Town / B-bis XI° Century Quart-Villair Castle 2015
Come si raggiunge l'Hermitage? Diverse sono le possibilità per raggiungere l'oratorio del Beato Emerico. Tra le varie, proviamo ad analizzarne qualcuna:
Partendo dal fondovalle ovvero presso il Villair de Quart
1)-
Dal Château de Quart lato Settentrionale, lasciata in basso a destra una deviazione con ripida strada poderale che arriva dal bivio 725 metri dopo il Villaggio di Verney, parte un sentierino segnalato ma non numerato, che sale verso Nordest. Una prima serie di ripidi tornanti, protetti da staccionate in legno, supera il soprastante promontorio roccioso fino a raggiungere dapprima il promontorio 1018 metri e poi, flettendo più a Nord, avvicinarsi ad un torrentello essiccato; una serie successiva di stretti tornantini dentro la foresta conduce al Torrent du Château. Attraversato due volte il medesimo, con un breve diagonale verso Nordest dentro il fitto Bois (foresta) d'Emeric o Americo, si raggiunge l'Oratorio con piccolo Altare sormontato da Croce (1130/40 m; T/E; 1h'00/1h'15), presso la strada poderale che scende dal soprastante Alpeggio di Valseinte (1399/40 m).
From Regional Road to the small Trois Villes Villages with traverse by Davisod towards Valseinte Alps
2)- From the Village of Avisod (Trois Villes) (1398m). From the Village of Vignil (946m, near the Necropolis Neolithic Vollein) continue through the Regional Road first Eastward and slightly to the North, reaching the Village Fornail (1082m; Chapel of Sainte Barbe); bending over in the Northeast region will then approach the Villages of Ville-sur-Nus (1113m; beautiful Parish Church with Bell Tower lined with copper, preceded by a stone votive Chapel dedicated to Our Lady), Buignod (1135m; "Rascard" square and wooden), Porsan (1299m) and Avisod (1398m, beautiful small Church dedicated to St. Margaret, Rocco and Anselme; just above beautiful fountain at the remains of the ancient Belfry of Trois Villes). Left to right continuing for the "Monument to the Partisan" (1364m) and, above, that for the last Fonteil Village (1423m), you cross to Avisod until the start of the private dirt road towards the Basin Sénevé. The same goes up with modest elevation West-northwest by cutting the base around the South Slope of the Croix de Fana (2212m) to reach a crossroads approximately in 1420/30 metres. Left to right, the branch continues to Chacotte, Champchamoussin, Latta Pastures into the Comba Cénevé also Senevé, instead you drive down to the Southwest reaching first a stable for sheep and horses and immediately then the Valseinte Alpage (1399m; fountain). Now the private road descends steeply to the South-southwest in a small valley (the real and true Valsainte) dark and threatening with steep cliffs below the Bois d'Emeric; the same is directed towards these but not reached, but falls vertically to the South over the Oratory (EE/F; 1h'00/1h'15 from Village of Avisod; remember well and scrupulously that the return is uphill for which it almost doubled travel time). Or, organizing logistically, down through the first of the itineraries to Fraction of Villair de Quart (E/T; 0h'30/0h'40).
Dalla Strada regionale verso i Villaggetti di Trois Villes e traversata da Davisod all'Alpe Valseinte
2)- Dal Villaggio Avisod di Trois Villes (1398 m). Dal Villaggio di Vignil (946 m; nelle vicinanze della Necropoli Neolitica di Vollein) si prosegue tramite la Strada Regionale dapprima verso Oriente e poi a Settentrione raggiungendo il Villaggio di Fornail (1082 m; Cappella di Sainte Barbe); piegando più a Nordest la Regionale raggiunge in successione i Villaggi di Ville-sur-Nus (1113 m; bella Chiesa Parrocchiale con Campanile foderato in rame, preceduta da Cappella votiva in pietra dedicata alla Madonna), Buignod (1135 m; "Rascard" quadrato ed in legno), Porsan (1299 m) ed Avisod (1398 m; bella Chiesetta dedicata ai Santi Margherita, Rocco ed Anselmo; appena sopra bel fontanile presso i resti dell'antico Campanile di Trois Villes). Lasciata a destra la continuazione per il "Monumento al Partigiano" (1364 m) e, sopra, quella per l'ultimo Villaggio di Fonteil (1423 m), si attraversa quello di Avisod fino all'inizio della poderale verso la Conca di Senevé. La stessa sale con modesto dislivello verso Ovest-nordovest tagliando alla base tutto il Versante Meridionale della Croix de Fana (2212 m) sino a raggiungere un bivio a circa 1420/30 metri. Abbandonato a destra il ramo che prosegue verso gli Alpeggi di Chacotte, Champchamoussin, Latta nella Comba di Senevé oppure Cénevé, si scende invece a Sudovest raggiungendo dapprima una stalla per pecore e cavalli e poi l'Alpe di Valseinte (1399 m; fontana). Ora la poderale scende decisamente verso Sud-sudovest dentro un valloncello tetro e minaccioso con ripide pareti rocciose sottostanti il Bois d'Emeric; la stessa s'indirizza a queste ma non le raggiunge, bensì scende in verticale a Sud sopra l'Oratorio (EE/F; 1h'00/1h'15 dal Villaggio di Avisod; ricordare con scrupolo che il ritorno avviene in salita per cui quasi raddoppiare il tempo di percorrenza). Oppure, organizzandosi logisticamente, scendere col primo degli itinerari alla Frazione del Villair de Quart (E/T; 0h'30/0h'40).
Start of descent to the horrid Gorgias of Valseinte 2015
The real  Keepers  of Higher Val Sainte Alpage 2015
In the mid part of Val Sainte above Aosta Town 2015

But who was this Emeric Blessed or Holy?

Saint or Blessed Emerik's Historiographical Remarks
St. Emeric(k) or, perhaps better, Americo was born around 1255 in the then newly constructed (1185) Quart Castle, in the small Hamlet Villair of that Common, with, at that time, all inhabitants gathered at the foot of the same. Son of Noble Wilhelm II° attended the University in Turin, where he received his PhD in Theology. By nature shy, humble and shy, he returned to his homeland where he retired in penance and prayer in the wild narrow and little valley above the castle which became the Valseinte or Val Sainte and which now features, in around the midst and in one hour about of steep walk with small path, an oratory with a Chapel and Altar outdoor topped by a cross. Probably after this stage contemplative became part of the Canons of Sant'Orso or as a Deacon at the Cathedral of Aosta, but the fact is that his "career" ecclesiastical became radiant as a result of merit acquired and universally recognized in the rescue of souls, so that in the death of the Bishop of Aosta Nicholas I° Bersatori (1301) became its successor (with consecration by Aimone of Challant, Bishop of Vercelli Town), in Biella Bourg occurred towards the end of that year. His fù a work of supreme penalty is against clerics that priests giving such an example of life frugal and modest life and lavishing much alms, while reserving to himself only the minimum necessary to live. Overcoming the uncertainties of early youth he became a man, while remaining always humble and meek, wise and of strong character with considerable and firm decision-making skills. Forcing the priests were selecting the residence, handed out alms, helping the Diocesan Churches and sided in defense of the rights and duties of the People measures to take account, nevertheless an inflexible behavior, he was loved by all. He built a large number of churches, she came to the fore as a Spiritual Writer and Historian with an important work on the costumes of 1305 and two years later summoned the Diocesan Synod, and in 1311 established a "Feast of the Conception of the Virgin Mary". He held the post of Bishop since 1302 until 1313, died on September 1th of that year and buried in the Cathedral of Aosta. Considered the author of numerous Miracles, was beatified by the people and by the Bishops of Aosta and is popularly believed whether as Hermit that a Holy. A combination of merits and awards such as to transform her figure in a Legend that found recognition, however, only 14th July 1881 by Pope Leo XIII° that recognized in the canonical process with the title of Blessed. Meanwhile the People from the time to pay homage and respects as such and in 1551 his remains were exhumed in a reliquary, visited by more and more people like the Oratory, where he seems to have remained the signs in the rock of his knees for constant prayer and penance, still object pilgrimage tours or of the simple curiosity. In Quart, native soil, it is celebrated on September 1th, while for the Feast of the Martyrs in the Vatican Calendar, instituted in 1586 by the Pope Gregory XIII°, this date is set just a month before. In the end we must conclude that Emerico or Americo he was for the populace a Eremite, for the Church a Blessed and for People a great Saint ...
A Blessed Medieval bridge just after the Castle 2015
Trail towards Tsaat a l Etsena from Villair Castle 2015
A Blessed ... popular substrate around the Castle 2015
Sant'Emerico o il Beato Note Storiografiche
San Emerico o, forse e meglio, Americo nacque intorno al 1255 nell'allora appena costruito (1185) Castello di Quart, nella Frazioncina del Villair di sto Comune,
a quei tempi tutta riunita ai piedi del medesimo. Figlio del Nobile Guglielmo II° frequentò l'Università degli Studi in Torino, dove conseguì il Dottorato in Teologia. Di carattere schivo, umile e timido, ritornò alla sua terra natia dove si ritirò in penitenza e preghiera nel selvaggio vallone sopra il castello che diventò la Valseinte o Val Sainte e che oggi presenta, a circa la metà e ad un'ora di ripido cammino con sentierino, un Oratorio con Altare all'aperto sormontato da una Croce. Probabilmente dopo questa fase contemplativa entrò a fare parte dei Canonici di Sant'Orso oppure come Diacono alla Cattedrale di Aosta, ma stà di fatto che la sua "carriera" ecclesiastica diventò fulgida a seguito dei meriti acquisiti e universalmente riconosciuti nel soccorso dell'anime, tanto che alla morte del Vescovo di Aosta Nicola I° Bersatori (1301) ne divenne il successore con consacrazione da parte di Aimone di Challant, Vescovo di Vercelli, avvenuta a Biella verso la fine dello stesso anno. Il suo fù un operato di sommo rigore sia nei confronti dei chierici che dei sacerdoti dando esempio con una vita parca e morigerata ed elargendo molte elemosine, mentre a se stesso riservava esclusivamente il minimo necessario per vivere. Superate l'incertezze della prima giovinezza diventò un uomo, pur restando sempre umile e docile, saggio e di forte carattere con notevoli e ferme capacità decisionali. Selezionava i preti obbligandoli alla residenza, elargiva elemosine, aiutava le Chiese Diocesane e si schierò in difesa dei diritti e relativi doveri del Popolo. Ciononostante, per quanto inflessibile nel comportamento, era da tutti amato. Fece costruire un notevole numero di Chiese, si mise in luce quale Scrittore Spirituale e Storico con un importante opera del 1305 sui costumi dell'epoca e due anni appresso convocò il sinodo Diocesano, mentre nel 1311 istituì una "Festa del Concepimento di Maria Vergine". Mantenne l'incarico di Vescovo dal 1302 al 1313, morendo il primo di Settembre dello stesso anno e riposa nella Cattedrale di Aosta. Ritenuto autore di numerosi Miracoli, venne beatificato dalla gente e dai Vescovi di Aosta e popolarmente ritenuto sia Eremita che Santo. Un connubio di riconoscimenti meritevoli e tali da tramutare la sua figura in una Leggenda che trovò riconoscimento però solo il 14 Luglio 1881 da parte di Papa Leone XIII° che con processo canonico gli riconobbe il titolo di Beato. Nel frattempo il popolo da tempo l'ossequiava come tale e nel 1551 le sue reliquie vennero esumate in un reliquiario, sempre più visitato dalla Gente come l'Oratorio, dove par sian rimasti i segni nella roccia delle sue ginocchia per la costante preghiera e penitenza, ancor oggi oggetto di pellegrinaggio o semplici visite di curiosità. A Quart, suolo natale, lo si festeggia il primo di Settembre, mentre per la Festa dei Martiri nel Calendario Vaticano, istituito nel 1586 da Papa Gregorio XIII°, questa data é fissata giusto un mese prima. Alla fin fine dobbiam concludere che l'Emeric od Americo fù pel popolino un Eremita, per la Chiesa Beato e per la gente gran Santo ...


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.