Abbé Aimé Gorret or "L'Ours de la Montagne" a good Mountaineer a Priest Rebel (1836-1907)

Abbé Aimé Gorret or "L'Ours de la Montagne" a good Mountaineer a Priest Rebel (1836-1907)

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Scrambling

Mountain Bear Overview

The Abbot Amé or Aimé Gorret. He made almost completely the first ascent on Matterhorn with Jean Antoine Carrel, Jean Baptiste Bich, Jean-Augustin Meynet.
Amé or Aimé Gorret was born in Valtournanche, October 25th, 1836, and was the son of Jean-Antoine Gorret and Marie-Véronique Carrel, of the famous family of Mountain Guides Valtournanche. The conditions of the same, even though his father also pursued the profession of Mountain Guide, were rather modest and for the young Amé the ecclesiastical studies, performed at the Seminary of Aosta, where in 1861 he was ordained Priest, constituted the chance to meet his spirit vivacious, rebellious and eager to learn. In his life he wasthe son of , was a Priest, Botanist, Writter and Mountaineer in Aosta Valley, known as famous "L'Ours de la Montagne or The Bear of the Mountain".




First assistant Pastor in Valtournanche Valley
, collaborated with the local Mountain Guides Valtournanche to the first ascent on Italian Route of the "Gran Becca or Cervino by Lion Crest", where already in 1857 had with Jean-Antoine Carrel, called the "Bersagliere", and with his uncle Jean-Jacques Carrel, climbed the Testa del Leone (Lion's Head; 3715m), large shoulder placed on the Southwest Crest of the "Gran Becca" when yet the Matterhorn was not again "born" and the enterprise was regarded as "cette idée d'ascension, qui faisait sourire tout le monde de pitié, que l'on regardait comme une folie". When even Cervinia does not existed and you are starting by Breuil to Lo Riondé not Oriondé in what was known as the Valtournanche not Valtournenche, as they state the epitaphs placed on marble plaques, composed by learned illustrious men of epoch. Age when you learn immediately to obey and so "our" Amé, also he Frenchified in Aimé was sent to carry out his assignment in Champorcher, in a valley beyond the Dora Baltea where he could only admire from afar "his" Gran Becca, while others amused themselves by changing her name in Cervino, or still or at the most in Tserveùn.




There, in the 1st of August of 1861 he climbed in Champorcher, site of his first parish, where met the King Vittorio Emanuele II° of Savoy, known as "King Toio", recently risen to the first King of Italy, and with which, over time, it was created a friendship mainly due to the shared passion for the mountains and contempt towards the formalism of political life and even priestly, sacerdotal and hieratic of that era. But the Abbé Gorret was often moved suddenly from parish to parish, and already in 1864 it passed from the Champorcher to that of St. Pierre until 1865 where he was sent upwards towards the Cogne Valley. In the Parish already famous for the passion of the Priests ostentatious toward the mountain with the conquest of Punta Tersiva (3512m) by the Curate Pierre Balthazar Chamonin in August of 1842 and by the same with the Abbot Pierre Chanoux in the summer of 1856 on Lavina's Tower (3308m). Illustrious predecessors that in the same last year had also won the Pic Garin (3451m), but starting from Aosta, and on the footsteps of those the Gorret had gone to explore the Southeast Slope above the Chaz-Fleurie with Jean Paul Carrel and four students 23th August 1866 before falling on the Glacier Lussert, always in the Valley of Grauson. Ascent repeated by the first two September 14th complete with a barometer and altimeter of the time to make the necessary scientific measurements, but it assumes even greater importance as indicated in "Guide de la Vallée d'Aoste" of 1876 by the Abbé with Jean Baptiste Bich that along with "Victor Emanuel sur les Alpes" in 1879, both published by Casanova in Turin, marking the vein of Amé Gorret as Writer with fundamental works for the historical reconstruction of primigenial mountaineering. In 1866 he was transferred to the parish of Valgrisenche, while between 1869 and 1880 changed often home, split between the management of small mountain parishes, teaching in the seminary, intellectual work and because his passion for the mountains know many personalities of 'mountaineering belonging to the Italian Alpine Club. From 1881 he was transferred to the Dauphiné, until 1884, when the French government did decide the repatriation of all foreign priests. In the following years he was Rector of Saint-Jacques-des-Allemands Val d'Ayas. Unfortunately, since 1902 began to have serious vision problems and operated on surgically in Turin in 1903, he saw in two years aggravated his health condition. Transfer again back to the Priory Saint-Jacquême St. Pierre died here on November 4th, 1907. Amé Gorret, best known as Aimé Gorret but also as Amato Gorret, is also referred to and remembered as l'Ours de la Montagne, the Ermite de Saint-Jacques and Le Grand Gorret.




The "Spirit" of the Abbot always in Valtournenche


L'Abate Amé o Aimé Gorret ha partecipato alla prima salita sul versante italiano al Cervino con Jean Antoine Carrel, Jean Baptiste Bich ed Jean-Augustin Meynet
.
Aimé Gorret è nato a Valtournanche, il 25 di Ottobre 1836 ed era figlio di Jean-Antoine Gorret e di Marie-Véronique Carrel, della famosa stirpe di guide alpine. Le condizioni della famiglia, nonostante che il padre esercitasse anche il mestiere guida alpina, erano piuttostp modeste e per il giovane Amé gli studi ecclesiastici, compiuti presso il Seminario di Aosta, dove nel 1861 fu ordinato Sacerdote, costituivano la possibilità per soddisfare il suo spirito vivace, ribelle e desideroso di sapere. Nella sua vita é stato un Sacerdote, un esperto Botanico ed anche un valente Alpinista nonché Scrittore della Valle d'Aosta, popolarmente noto come "L'Ours de la Montagne". Dapprima in qualità di assistente Pastore nella Valtournanche, ha collaborato con le locali Guide Alpine nella scalata del Versante italiano della "Gran Becca per la Cresta del Leone", dove già nel 1857 aveva con Jean-Antoine Carrel, detto il "Bersagliere", e con lo zio Jean-Jacques Carrel, salito la Testa del Leone (3715 m), grande spalla posta sulla Cresta Sudovest della "Gran Becca" quando ancora il Cervino non era "nato e l'impresa veniva considerata come "cette idée d'ascension, qui faisait sourire tout le monde de pitié, que l'on regardait comme une folie". Quando anche Cervinia non esisteva e si partiva dal Breuil per Lo Riondé e non l'Oriondé in quella che era conosciuta siccome la Valtournanche e non Valtournenche, come recitano gli epitaffi posti sulle targhe marmoree e composti da uomini colti ed illustri dell'epoca. Un'era nella quale si imparava ben presto ad obbedire e così il "nostro" Amé, anche lui sempre francesizzato in Aimé, veniva tosto spedito per svolgere il suo incarico in quel di Champorcher, in quella valle al di là della Dora Baltea dove poteva ammirare soltanto da lontano la "sua" Gran Becca, mentre gli altri si divertivano a cambiarle il nome in un bell'italiano Cervino, od ancora ed al massimo Tserveùn.




Lì nel 1º agosto del 1861 mentre saliva a Champorcher, sede della sua prima parrocchia, incontrò il Re Vittorio Emanuele II° di Savoia conosciuto come "re Toio", da poco assurto a primo Re d'Italia e con il quale nel tempo si venne a creare un'amicizia principalmente dovuta alla passione comune per la montagna ed al disprezzo verso i formalismi della vita politica ed anche sacerdotali di quell'epoca. Ma l'Abbé Gorret fu spesso trasferito repentinamente di parrocchia in parrocchia e già nel 1864 passò da quella di Champorcher a quella di St. Pierre fino a quando nel 1865 fù spedito sù a Cogne. In quella Parrocchia già famosa per la passione dei Preti ostentata verso la montagna con la conquista della Punta Tersiva (3512 m) da parte del Curato Pierre Balthazar Chamonin nell'Agosto del 1842 e dello stesso con l'Abate Pierre Chanoux nell'estate del 1856 alla Torre di Lavina (3308 m). Predecessori illustri che in quest'ultimo anno avevano anche conquistato il Pic Garin (3451 m), ma partendo da Aosta, e sulle orme dei quali il Gorret era andato ad esplorare il Versante Sudest sopra la Chaz-Fleurie con Jean Paul Carrel e quattro studenti il 23 Agosto 1866 per poi discenderne sul Ghiacciaio di Lussert, sempre nel Vallone del Grauson. Un'ascensione ripetuta dai primi due il 14 di Settembre con tanto di barometro ed altimetro dell'epoca per effettuare le necessarie misurazioni scientifiche, ma che assume ancor maggiore importanza poiché riportata in "Guide de la Vallèe d'Aoste" del 1876 dell'Abbé con Jean Baptiste Bich che insieme a "Victor Emanuel sur les Alpes" del 1879, entrambi editi da Casanova in Torino, segna la vena di Scrittore di Amé Gorret con opere fondamentali per la ricostruzione storica dell'alpinismo primigenio. Nel 1866 fu trasferito alla Parrocchia di Valgrisenche, mentre tra il 1869 ed il 1880 cambiò spesso sede, diviso tra la gestione di piccole parrocchie di montagna, l'insegnamento in seminario, il lavoro intellettuale e la sua passione per la montagna conoscendo molte personalità dell'alpinismo appartenenti al C.A.I. o Club Alpino Italiano. Dal 1881 venne trasferito in Delfinato, insino al 1884, momento in cui il governo francese decise il rimpatrio di tutti i preti stranieri. In quelli che seguirono fu Rettore a Saint-Jacques-des-Allemands in Val d'Ayas. Purtroppo dal 1902 iniziò ad avere seri problemi di vista e, operato chirurgicamente in Torino nel 1903, vide in due anni aggravarsi le sue condizioni di salute. Trasferito nuovamente al priorato Saint-Jacquême di Saint-Pierre, quivi purtroppo morì il 4 di Novembre 1907. Amé Gorret, conosciuto soprattutto come Abbé Aimé Gorret ma anche come Amato, viene indicato e simpaticamente ricordato anche come l'Ours de la Montagne, l'Ermite de Saint-Jacques e Le Grand Gorret.




Pointe Aimé Gorret (3191m) into the rocky Mountain Chain Fiorio-Clapier-Morions-Gelé




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.