Altos de Uteza Traverse

Altos de Uteza Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.12831°N / 17.15519°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike and UIAA I Scramble
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Summit block Altos de UtezaSummit block Altos de Uteza

The traverse of the Altos de Uteza is one of the most beautiful and panoramic hikes in the north of La Gomera. You have the island of Tenerife with Spein's highest mountain, Teide, always in view and if you turn around you will see the Roques, former volcanic plugs in the centre of La Gomera. Additionally the scrambles to the tops of the half dozen summits offer a little adventure, especially as you have to negotiate brittle rock overgrown by thorny bushes.

There are two access routes, one along a forest road, the other along a marked trail and you can combine them to a loop, which traverses the whole ridge of the Altos de Uteza.

Getting There

Altos de UtezaAltos de Uteza

See the main page for the information. There is a small parking lot on TF711, the Carretera del Norte, from which the forest road starts. The hiking path starts from the forest road after some 100m.

Route Description

On the path from La GerodeOn the path from La Gerode

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 400m
      - Summit altitude: 738m
      - Prevailing exposure: S
      - Type: 2h one way
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 600m elevation gain across the whole ridge
  • Power: 1 - Long but not difficult
  • Psyche: 2-3 - Easy without the summit scrambles, otherwise loose and exposed
  • Orientation: 1 - Easy during access, some problems near the La Ggerode pass in the east

    From the parking lot at the Carretera del Norte head out northward along the forest road. After some 100m a narrow path heads up the mountain to the left, zigzagging its way to the Uteza ridge. The forest road itself climbs to a saddle and crosses over to the other side to head for the settlement of Enchereda. At the saddle you can find a second entry to the ridge traverse.

    My recommendation is to follow the forest road - mainly because from there you can follow the whole Uteza ridge without having to turn around. the hiking path reaches the ridge in its middle and thus you have to decide for the eastern or western branch. Both access routes are equally easy to hike.

    From the La Gerode Pass a marked path heads up very steepy for some metres to attain the Uteza Ridge. For the most part it heads along the south side of the ridge, always steadily climbing towards the summits. Near La Gerode the marks are somewhat sparse and ambiguous so that here orientation is most difficult. After a while the path becomes evident, though at times it still climbs through dense and thorny bushes. As you get close to the top the single summits can be distiguished. Be sure to climb at least one of them - the views of Tenerife are gorgeous.

    After a while you reach the intersection with the hiking path. Either head down to the trailhead or head onwards to the higher Altos de Uteca. Make sure that you don't switch to the northern side. There is a path there which descends to the Enchereda settlement. It is very overgrown and leads away from the main objective. Instead scramble towards the next two summits, whithout a trail or mark to guide you. It's a bit of an adventure due to the bushes but certainly worthwhile thanks to the views. Return to the intersection the way you came.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking Gear is sufficient. In the summer bring lots of water.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.