Angour West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 31.17499°N / 7.82561°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: PD+
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.4 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A beautiful mountaineering route on a prominent peak with amazing views of Toubkal national Park. The West Ridge naturally draws the eye when you drive into Oukaimden. The climbing is straightforward and gratifying but the committment level once on the ridge is high with no easy places to bail until you reach the Tissi Plateau. Given clear skies you will have fantastic views of Toubkal National Park for hours from Tizi n Gruden all the way to the summit. Easy access makes this a solid option if you are looking for great mountaineering close to Marrakech but away from the bustle of Toubkal.

036_Aksoual_and_Toubkal_in_background_Angour
036_Aksoual_and_Toubkal_in_background_Angour
031_avoiding_difficulties_climbers_left_west_ridge_Angour
031_avoiding_difficulties_climbers_left_west_ridge_Angour

Getting There

From Marrakech self-drive or take a Grand Taxi to Oukaimden - 65 KM (1.5 hours).

In winter park by the Oukaimden Ski Lifts and hike about 4.5km up the pist (unpaved road) toward Tizi n' Eddi (spelled Tizi n' Ou Addi on Google Maps).

In other seasons you can usually drive past the ski lifts for 3 or 4 kilometers and park on the side of the pist.

Route Description

Follow the pist (unpaved road) past the Oukaimden ski slopes toward Tizi n' Eddi (spelled Tizi n' Ou Addi on Google Maps). - P2030 on Google Maps.

Cut across small valley below the pist and keeping steep rocks climbers left move up a feeder valley to Tizi n Gruden. 

Ascend third class terrain (some kairns) to gain the West Ridge.

Circle around small dome climbers right getting to the top the dome on easier terrain behind.

Follow the West Ridge. There are two rock steps to climb directly (fifth class) and some knife edge sections that protecting with slings as necessary. There is one clearly difficult section that should be avoided climbers left.

The ridge eventually opens up to the Tissi Plateau. Here head climbers left with easy scrambling to the summit dome.

Descend by the same route or reverse the the North Face Route / North Ledge Route.

West Ridge Angour Route Markings
West Ridge Angour Route Markings

Essential Gear

Crampons, Ice Axe, Rope, Slings and possibly a small rock rack.

External Links

https://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Moroccan-Atlas-Cicerone-Guides/dp/1852846119/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=mountaineering+high+atlas&qid=1601495830&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/High-Atlas-Moroccos-biggest-mountains/dp/1852846712/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mountaineering+high+atlas&qid=1601495900&sr=8-1

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

AngourRoutes