Arroyo de Huenes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.07819°N / 3.48157°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike and Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

BadlandsBadlands to the south-west of Trevenque

The route through Arroyo de Huenes is much longer than the route across the Cuerda del Trevenque but it offers many varying views of the mountain, which it circles by 270°. Both route can be combined for a long daytour. Almost all of the Arroyo Route runs on forest roads which are frequented by the park rangers of the Parque Nacional de la Sierra Nevada. Also it is popular with mountain bikers who like to do a full circle around Trevenque, following the road further on from Collado de Martin.

At this saddle the final ascent of Trevenque turns off and leads over sandy terrain across the south-east ridge of the mountain. The lower parts are still easy but on the upper 200m the path is very worn and brittle as it winds through the towers which accompany the summit. In addition the topmost part is exposed and rather difficult.

Getting There

Arroyo de HuenesArroyo de Huenes

The climb starts at the small parking lot at Mirador de los Alayos, which can be reached via a mountain road from La Zubia. See the main page for the access information.

Route Description

Dune SaddleDune saddle where the final ascent starts

  • General:
      - Start altitude: 1370m
      - Summit altitude: 2087m
      - Prevailing exposure: SE
      - Type: Hike and steep sand scramble
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 800m elevation gain
  • Power: 2 - Moderate
  • Psyche: 2 - Easy up to the Collade de Martin, exposed and brittle on the ridge
  • Orientation: 1 - Easy

    From Mirador de los Alayos take the forest road into Arroyo de Huenes (sign to the Jardin Botanico). The road traverses the northern slopes of the Cuerda del Trevenque keeping level at first but then heads down in the valley proper. It crosses the creek on Puente de los Siete Ojos (the seven pillared bridge) where a number of watchtower-like gendarmes guard the road.

    From the Puente the road remains on the northern side of the Arroyo winding its way beneath the slopes of Cerro Gordo and Cerro del Sol. After some two hours you reach the Casa Forestal de la Cortijuela, where a botanical garden has been established displaying the flora of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to visit it if its gates are open.
    Cerro del TrevenqueTrevenque from trailhead
    Cerro del TrevenqueTrevenque from Arroyo
    WatchtowerWatchtower
    The final part of the Southwestern SpurOn the SW spur

    At the Casa Forestal the road turns south circling Trevenques western side summit El Trevenquillo and heading for the saddle Collado del Martin. Just before the saddle is reached an unmarked path turns off to the left. Immediately you step onto the sand of the dunes which surround Trevenque. The path leads down into a saddle between the dunes from where the final ascent starts. Generally, simply head for the summit. If there is a path, follow it even though it might be very eroded.

    The route climbs the south-eastern ridge of Trevenque in steep switchbacks, finally reaching the towers and gendarmes which surround the top. Among them the path winds and heads for a saddle, where it is joined by the west and north-west ridge routes. Pass over to the north-east into a small gully from which several routes lead to the summit. All are rather serious scrambles, mainly because of the sandy underground. The easiest one turns across the south ridge and heads summit-wise from the south.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.