Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 22, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Ashokan High Point in Winter

After a few days of snow fall in the Catskill Mountains, I wanted to try out some new gear and headed out for the Ashokan High Point.

The trail head is reached by leaving I-84 at Kingston, then taking R-28, R-28A to R-42 and following it for about 4 miles. The trail head parking at around 1100ft was plowed (better than a lot of roads that day).

The usual tour seems to be a lolly pop loop. First on an old wood road along the Kanape Brook to the col between Mombaccus Mountain and Ashokan High Point. That part is a very moderate route with a slow rise on an old wood road. The trail is well marked. After about 2.5 miles the loop starts up to the 3080ft High Point with nice views of the Catskill Mountain Range and the Hudson Valley.

On Monday, the fresh powder snow covered well over the features of the path. Since I did not bring my skins I ended up walking most of the way up. Several bridges in good condition allow for crossing the brook and other little streams. I was happy to be the first after the snow, walking through a untouched surface, although breaking trail was tough. Some birds were following me, not sure if they were White-breasted Nuthatchs or Dark-eyed Juncos. After a little rest on top I clipped into the skis and made the retour down. Due to the powder and the moderate decline, gliding was very slow and had to be supported with upper body exercise. Back close to the trail register I met a local man who also was on skies for a little outing after work.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Catskill RangeTrip Reports