ATV Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.99870°N / 71.4864°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Walk Up)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From I-293 NORTH: Get off of Amoskeag Bridge exit 6. Stay left and make a left. Go past Dunkin Donuts on you right. Make a right on Bremer Street, IMMEDIATELY past the small used auto dealer. Go up the turning hill and straight through Coolidge Street. Make a right on Rimmon Street just before Beaulieu's Mini Market. Take Rimmon Street to Mason Street. Make a left on Mason Street and continue down Mason Street where Rock Rimmon will stand right before you. At the elementary school make a right. Roughly 500 feet up make a left into the little league stadium area. The ATV trail will be ahead of you in the woods.

FROM 1-293 SOUTH: Get off on Exit 6. Once off the ramp get into the very left lane heading away from the Amoskeag Bridge (over the river). Stay left at the stoplight. Once you cross over the I-293 Bridge Street make another left at the light and immediately get into the right lane (Don't go on the ramp towards Nashua or Boston or go back around the circle. From there you on the route which you would have been on had you made a left from I-293 North. From there follow the North directions.




Route Description

Picture from near the top of...
Picture from near the top of...


Roundtrip Distance 0.7 miles
Elevation Gain 200 ft.

The route described here is the longest and the easiest appraoch to the summit. This is one approach that requires little and gives back so much in breathtaking views of the city of Manchester, NH.

From the ballfield, head up the unmarked yet very obvious ATV trail that goes left. This trail will rise at a moderate pace at roughly 0.2 miles. It will continue until hitting a field where the trail will become near level. (there is a side trail which leads to an overlook of Rock Rimmon on your left. Head across the field merging left until you see an opening through a number of trees. In winter the trail will be easy to follow due to snowmobiles. Once in the woods stay on trail where the summit of Rock Rimmon will be visible. Continue up the trail until you will notice an obviously ledge to your left. Head up the ledge to the very top to summit where commanding views of both Manchester and the Uncanoonacs greet you.

Essential Gear

The western section of the...
The western section of the...

In the winter plan according to the weather. After blizzards snowshoes are recommended and Yaltrax or in-step crampons make things easier in winter when the trail is icy. However due to the fact that this is an easy walk up 0.7 miles roundtrip, none of these are really required.

In summer you really don't even need much except for water and tennis shoes, unless you are going to boulder or rock climb around the summit.

When to Climb


You can do this route at anytime. However I would advise doing this hike in winter. Snow just brings out the beauty of the forest here. Manchester as a city looks it's best after a fresh snowstorm.

Also this hike makes a good evening hike, where the sunsets over the Uncanoonacs can be fantasic.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.