AVALANCHE!!!

AVALANCHE!!!

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing

AVALANCHES Overview



It was December 28th, 1980 when we decide, in five, to go for the winter at Mount Emilius, or the Punta Rossa. How to Emilius or to Punta Rossa? Here or there, it does not matter. At first we were already in January 5th, 1975 starting by Gimillan Hamlet, the second ever; rather it is uphill in the winter once in 1939 by Dr. "Ansel" Falcoz, which then fell to Cogne by ski. For us it does not matter: one or the other, just to break the monotony of winter that is pressing upon us. But there is a problem. To enter the Valley of Arbolle must overcome the Chamolé in the presence of snow high enough, as with the "Forks Caudine"; otherwise rise from Comboé for the bottleneck, doing so without having to climb over the Col Chamolé, which is even worse. Okay, the first solution. The start, as usual, takes place directly from the parking of Pila (about 1800 metres), as it would be too late to wait for the opening of the Chairlift that takes place at around 9.00. We expect a tough and strenuous ascent, via the "Ski Run of the Wood or Renato Rosa", which brings us with over 500 metres of difference in level always in the snow, first to the Upper Station (2311m) and then with a crossing to the East to Lake Chamolé (2325m).



On Chamolé Coastline (2508m), by Gianni Junod


This is an easy walk in summer tourism, but now is a struggle every step sinking in the soft snow. When we arrive we understand that the direct ascent to the above Chamolé Pass is quite dangerous, because the "swollen" of snow that exist. We must make an alternative choice, or we will be forced to return. This is always an awkward moment because you have to know to assess the risk and decide. Possibly for the better. From the lake to avoid the loaded slopes we carry to the left on the divide of the Costa Chamolé (2508m) and from this, after bypassing the following altitude (2580m), always to the South we cross to the pass (2641m). This stretch is already treacherous in the summer due to the presence of "grass Hills Page", imagine now with layers of snow bonded through the spit over the same; also blows a cold wind, while it does breathe a sigh of relief, hoping that the temperature continues to hold well glued the snowpack, by another makes the climb exceedingly annoying. Because we are in the West and the sun is well away from the rising. Arrived on the watershed above the Walloon of the Comboé cross towards South circumventing or bypassing some asperity rocky, already "annoying" in the summer. Somehow, however, will dock to the hill, where the descent into the Walloon below Arbolle through the usual diagonal slopes of the Eastern Testa Nera (Black Head). Over there we see the snow-covered roof of ancient hut where the Shepherd Ceteùn brought to graze his cattle until 1973, the year of his death. There are no more signs of life and the walloon stretches, white snow, up the slopes of Emilius (3559m), Punte Rossa (3401m) and Pic Garin (3451m) and the relevant Passes of the Three Capuchin, Arbolle, Valaisan and "Low Garin", in a breathtaking scenery that we will have to go through mandatory. Everything has remained intact and untouched as in past millennia and can be felt everywhere an air of old, as if the world had stopped there (the shelter will be built eighteen years later just above the old shelter or, rather, dilapidated shack).



Where is the avalanche occurred? In the middle of the picture the Chamolé's Hill below the Testa Nera, by Antonio


Here, however, the joint survey with the ax gives us the first response: 3cm. crust, 50 cm. of powdery and under ice "verglass". What to do? We did not even ski and snowshoes. We need to cross floor plan under the Testa Nera (Black Head), hoping not to cut the avalanche and get it started. We know that it is quite possible. I decide that I only start and Roby (also Camillo), leaving the rest of the hill. If it happens pull us out. It happens. While navigating high against the rocks (in the summer here the trail descends to the shelter, feasible even by children), the boundary between the swollen and steep snow slope and the same, the danger is quite high. A "Crack" sudden me confirmation. The crust is broken and the layer of flour envelops us like a billow sea impetuously. Then the total darkness, as if we do not exist. Swim, float, as indicated by the manual . All lies! Down there do not exist any more. How long I can not say , but certainly for 100 metres when the avalanche it "spits" out in parallel as two dolphins head forward. Position 45°. I look at Camillo 's eyes out and the teeth to Dracula. My brain, I laugh. At least mentally. "Beautiful you were", I reply in the future. Maybe, maybe I was even worse. Always plasticity of the brain. But it is a moment for us rewinds bringing down another 100. Spits out there , with his feet stuck between the rocks and snow, in which we are engaged and locked up behind him. I have been "sighted" because the others arrive and we extract. Loud and incredibly no semblance of snow in the respiratory tract. For the rest, despite the clothing by divers we are everywhere, just everywhere. After the reorganization, invitation to continue receiving in return only rude gestures and profanity. We go down to Comboé through the rocky narrowing; that this summer has a small and steep path between high cliffs, is now a slide continuously over 200 metres which leads with a crossing to the left, again through wet snow to the Torrent de Comboé to 2250 metres and then down to the ancient Alpage Grand Plan (2158m). A descent that requires maximum attention, because stretches of frozen snow alternate with others with powdery snow and occasionally also appears "verglass phenomena", because of the wind that swept away the snow. And to think that here in the summer rise steers coming from Comboé. Here we arrive we completely ice cream and looking for a ray of sunshine. Pale. The "bathroom" in the snow has not been very healthy and we take shelter on the roof of Alp; the thermometer registers -17° and wine on the roof of the hut, ice inside the bottle. Luckily they said that avalanches come down because of the heat ...



Traversing on Chamolé Pass below the Testa Nera, this is the place just a moment before, by Ivo Ferronato


AFTER AVALANCHE

December 28th, 1980, between 9/9.30' hours.

AVALANCHE
from East Face Testa Nera (2820m), 20 metres in SE below of the Chamolé Pass (2641m). Buried in the slip along 200 metres by Camillo Roberto Ferronato & Osvaldo Cardellina to Arbolle Tableland ad Torrent (around 2496 metres).

The excursion mates after the "Exhumation".

CONCLUSION:
Camill with head from the snow out; Oswald ("more" lucky!) with head and foots behind the shoulders (body in arch "dietrofront" 360° and one broken finger by ice-axe). Never to complain!!!

From left: Osvaldo Cardellina, Camillo Roberto Ferronato, "revived", after the "extraction" and "Peppino" Lamazzi, ... impotent observer, together Ivo Ferronato and Sandrino "Lupetto" Casalegno (Mock also Small Wolf; like this baptized for "great yelps" observing from high the dynamic of the avalanche, in return to Pila Village).



Immediately after the extraction by avalanche, by Ivo Ferronato


Era il 28 Dicembre 1980 quando decidiamo, in cinque, di andare a fare l'invernale al Monte Emilius (3559 m), oppure alla Punta Rossa (3401 m). Come all'Emilius od alla Punta Rossa? Di qua o di là, non ha importanza. Al primo siam già stati il 5 Gennaio 1975 partendo da Gimillan, alla seconda mai; anzi risulta salita in inverno una sola volta nel 1939 dal Dottor "Ansel" Falcoz, con discesa a Cogne tramite sci. Per noi non ha importanza: l'uno o l'altra, pur di romper la monotonia dell'inverno incalzante alle porte. Però esiste un problemino. Per entrar nel Vallone dell'Arbolle bisogna superare il Colle di Chamolé in presenza di neve abbastanza alta, come con le "Forche Caudine"; altrimenti salir dal Comboé raggiungendo l'Arbolle per la strettoia, senza così facendo dover scavalcare il Colle di Chamolé. Il che tutto sommato a prima analisi par ancor peggio. Va bene la prima soluzione. Si và per il colle. La partenza, come al solito, avviene direttamente dal piazzale di Pila (1800 metri circa), poiché sarebbe troppo tardi attendere l'apertura della Seggiovia, che avviene intorno alle ore 9,00. Ci aspetta una dura e faticosa salita, tramite la "Pista del Bosco o Renato Rosa", che ci porta con oltre 500 metri di dislivello sempre in mezzo alla neve dapprima alla Stazione Superiore (2311 m) e poi con una traversata a serpentina ad Est al Lago di Chamolé (2325 m) sotto la Testa Nera ed al "nostro benedetto" colle.



Chamolé Lake below Testa Nera, by Gianni Junod


Questa in estate risulta una facile passeggiata turistica, mentre adesso é una lotta ad ogni passo sprofondando nella neve molle. Quando arriviamo si capisce che la salita diretta al soprastante Colle di Chamolé é alquanto pericolosa, causa le "gonfie" di neve esistenti. Dobbiamo effettuare una scelta alternativa, oppure saremo costretti a rientrare. Questo risulta essere sempre un momento imbarazzante perché bisogna sapere valutare il pericolo e decidere. Possibilmente per il meglio. Dal lago per evitare i pendii carichi di neve ci portiamo a sinistra sul divisorio della Costa di Chamolé (2508 m) e da questa attraversiamo sempre con direzione Sud, scavalcando la successiva quota (2580 m) al colle (2641 m). Questo tratto risulta infido già in estate per la presenza di "erba ollina", immaginiamoci adesso con gli strati di neve incollati tramite lo sputo sopra i medesimi; inoltre soffia un vento gelido che, se da un lato fa tirar un sospiro di sollievo sperando che la temperatura tenga ben incollato il manto nevoso, dall'altro rende la salita oltremodo fastidiosa. Perché noi siamo ad Ovest ed il sole é ben lontano dal sorgere. Arrivati sullo spartiacque sopra il Vallone di Comboé attraversiamo verso Sud aggirando o scavalcando alcune asperità rocciose, già "fastidiose" in estate. In qualche modo, comunque, approdiamo al colle, dove inizia la discesa verso il Vallone di Arbolle tramite il solito diagonale alle pendici Orientali della Testa Nera. Laggiù vediamo il tetto ricoperto di neve dell'antica baita dove il Pastore Ceteùn portava a pascolare i suoi manzi fino al 1973, anno della sua morte. Non ci sono altri segni di vita ed il vallone si allunga, candido di neve, fino alle pendici di Emilius, Punte Rossa e Pic Garin (3451 m) ed ai relativi Passi dei Tre Cappuccini, Arbolle, Valaisan e "Bassa di Garin", in uno scenario mozzafiato che noi dovremo attraversare obbligatoriamente. Tutto é rimasto intatto ed incontaminato come nei millenni passati e si respira ovunque un'aria di antico, come se il mondo si fosse lì fermato (il rifugio sarà costruito ben diciotto anni dopo appena sopra l'antica baita o, meglio, "scassata" baracca).



Other times we have gone here ..., by Ilario Antonio Garzotto


Quivi giunti però il sondaggio con la piccozza ci dà il primo responso: 3 cm. di crosta, 50 cm. di farinosa ed al di sotto ghiaccio vivo. Che fare? Non abbiamo sci e neppure racchette da neve. Dobbiamo attraversare pian piano sotto la Testa Nera, sperando di non tagliare la valanga e farla partire. Sappiamo che risulta alquanto possibile. Decido che iniziamo solo io ed il Roby (Camillo), lasciando gli altri al colle. Se succede ci tiran fuori. Succede. Pur traversando in alto contro le rocce (in estate qui scende la mulattiera per il rifugio, fattibile anche dai bambini), al limite tra il gonfio e ripido pendio di neve e le medesime, il pericolo risulta alquanto elevato. Un "Crack" improvviso me lo conferma. La crosta si spezza e lo strato di farina ci avvolge impetuosamente come cavallone marino. Poi il buio totale, come se non esistessimo. Nuotare, galleggiare, come indicano i manuali. Tutte balle! Là sotto non esisti più. Per quanto tempo non lo posso dire, ma sicuramente per 100 metri quando la valanga ci "sputa" fuori in parallelo come due delfini a testa in avanti. Posizione 45° circa. Guardo Camillo: ha gli occhi fuori ed i denti alla Dracula. Risorse del cervello, mi vien da ridere. Almeno mentalmente. "Bello tu eri", mi replicherà in futuro. Può darsi, magari ero anche peggio. Plasticità sempre del cervello. Ma si tratta d'un attimo perché ci riavvolge portandoci giù per altri 100. Ci sputa fuori, incastrati con i piedi tra i massi e la neve, nella quale siamo immersi e bloccati fino alle spalle. Sono stato "previdente", perché arrivano gli altri e ci estraggono. Vivi ed incredibilmente senza parvenza di neve nelle vie respiratorie. Per il resto, nonostante il vestiario da palombari, ce l'abbiamo dovunque, ma proprio dappertutto. Dopo il riassetto, invito a proseguire ricevendo in cambio solo gestacci e parolacce. Scendiamo al Comboé per la strettoia rocciosa; questa che in estate presenta un ripido sentierino tra alte pareti rocciose, adesso é uno scivolo continuo di oltre 200 metri che conduce con una traversata a sinistra, nuovamente attraverso neve fradicia fino al Torrent de Comboé a 2250 metri e poi giù all'antico Alpeggio del Grand Plan (2158 m). Una discesa richiedente la massima attenzione, perché tratti di neve gelata s'alternano ad altri con neve farinosa ed ogni tanto appare anche il "verglass", a causa del vento che ha spazzato via la neve. E pensar che in estate vi salgono i manzi arrivando dal Comboé. Qui arriviamo anche noi, completamente gelati ed in cerca d'un raggio di sole. Pallido. Il "bagno" nella neve non é stato molto salubre e ci ripariamo sopra il tetto dell'alpe; il termometro registra -17° ed il vino, sul tetto della baita, ghiaccia dentro la borraccia. Meno male che dicevan che le valanghe scendono a causa del caldo ...



During an avalanche, by mountaindog

But what is the purpose of this Article?



We were swept down here, by Ilario Antonio Garzotto


But what is the purpose of this article?But what is the objective of this article? Remember a bad episode of your life then going to end well? No, it makes no sense, since it concerns a personal moment fortunately already put in the things of the Past. As if it no longer exists. Prove to be kissed by Lady Luck, or so-called Fortuna? Even so, since it is not said that to die in age overwhelmed by the unavoidable diseases of Old Age is the best thing about this World. As my Friend Ejnar Fjerdingstad. Indeed that is the old classic saying: "Dear Gods who dies young". But this last is the total rejection of the same and has been exploited for a thousand speculations. Even and especially during the wars. But we have to send a message to Youth of the Hope, invariably binds to the same. Supreme good. I write because quest item instead of doing Google searches, that concerned my Friend Guide Cogne Aldo Cambiolo, I found two images shocking. The first concerns two young while laughing hang a small dog. Terrible! Declared by the Police and make an immediate search of these two idiots. The second, even worse, involved a young man dead, lying in the snow and with his skull smashed. I did not sleep during the whole night, thinking of these "cruel" images. Long have I meditated on the meaning of Life, even though I had done for a long time. The news that appear on the Media, the last a few days ago with the death of two young avalanche, at Corno Piccolo on Gran Sasso, led me to return to this old episode. To make a warning to the only reader who reads me. Think of those Families and their Christmas. That of the Mountain is a sport aimed at Selfish. People who can not see beyond themselves and do not even try to imagine the After. For those who remain. Dear Friend Einar, not you're right. You have to know how to accept all the Excursus of Life, even with the terrible pagini of Old Age, I'm starting to try, now already for a little while. But tomorrow we celebrate the Christmas season with our infirmities, but also with the warmth of Our Family. I wish it was like that for All. Merry Christmas 2014!



From here we started and here we are back .../Da qui siam partiti e qui siam tornati ..., by Ilario Antonio Garzotto


Ma qual'é l'biettivo di questo articolo? Ricordare un brutto episodio della propria Vita poi andato a finire bene? No, non ha senso, poiché riguarda un momento personale fortunatamente già messo nelle cose del Passato. Come se non esistesse più. Dimostrare d'essere baciati dalla Dea Bendata o cosiddetta Fortuna? Neppur ciò, poiché non é detto che morire in età sopraffatti dalle inevitabili malattie della Tarda Età é la cosa migliore di questo Mondo. Come dice il mio Amico Ejnar Fjerdingstad. Anzi vale l'antico detto classico: "Caro agli Dei chi muore Giovane". Ma questo ultimo é il rifiuto totale della stessa ed é stato sfruttato per mille speculazioni. Anche e soprattutto durante le guerre. Noi invece dobbiamo inviar ai Giovani un Messaggio di Speranza che, immancabilmente si lega alla medesima. Bene supremo. Scrivo quest'articolo invece perché facendo delle ricerche su Google, che riguardavano il mio amico Guida di Cogne Aldo Cambiolo, ho trovato due immagini choccanti. La prima riguarda due giovani mentre, ridendo, impiccano un cagnolino. Terribile! Da denuciare alla Polizia ed effettuare una immediata ricerca di questi due imbecilli. La seconda, ancora peggiore, riguardava un giovane morto, disteso sulla neve e con il cranio fracassato. Non ho dormito durante la notte intera, pensando a queste "crudeli" immagini. A lungo ho meditato sul significato della Vita, benché l'avessi fatto già da lungo tempo. Le notizie che appaiono sui Mass Media, l'ultima di pochi giorni orsono con la morte per valanga di due giovani al Corno Piccolo sul Gran Sasso, m'hanno spinto a ritornare su questo vecchio episodio. Per fare un monito verso quell'unico lettore che mi legge. Pensate a quelle Famiglie ed al loro Natale. Quello della Montagna é uno sport rivolto ad Egoisti. Gente che non vede oltre a se stessi e non prova neppure ad immaginar il Dopo. Per quelli che rimangono. Caro Amico Einar non hai ragione. Bisogna sapere accettare tutto l'Excursus della Vita, anche con le pagini terribili della Vecchiaia, che io stò iniziando a provare, ormai già da un pò di tempo. Noi però domani festeggiamo il Santo Natale con i nostri acciacchi, ma anche con il calore dei Nostri Familiari. Vorrei che fosse così per Tutti. Buon Natale 2014!



Crossing the turbulent Sea of Life .../Attraversando il turbolento Mare della Vita ..., by Osw



Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.