Bald Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.69900°N / 110.902°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

To reach the Bald Mountain Trailhead, either drive east and north of Kamas along Highway 150 for 29 miles from Kamas; or south on Highway 150 49 miles south of Evanston. There is a sign that marks the trailhead.

Black = Bald Mountain Trail...Black = Bald Mountain Trail.


Route Description

At the trailhead, there is a sign that points out the trail to the summit of Bald Mountain. The trail switchbacks up the slope and climbs 1250 feet in about 1.3 miles (the sign at the beginning of the trail states 2 miles-but this is in error). The trail is all up hill, but pretty easy, but it can be dangerous for the unprepared hiker before mid-July in most years due to snowbanks. Excellent views of countless lakes, basins, and peaks are your reward for reaching the summit.

Experienced scramblers can combine the trip to Bald Mountain with Reids Peak. See the page on Reids Peak for details of the route.

Bald Mountain from Moosehorn...Bald Mountain from Moosehorn Lake.











Essential Gear

All the normal hiking gear. Bring an ice axe before mid-July.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.