Bald Mtn.-Artist Bluff Loop Hike

Bald Mtn.-Artist Bluff Loop Hike

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18300°N / 71.7038°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Shot of Bald Mountain from...


VIA ROLAND PEABODY MEMORIAL SLOPE PARKING AREA: From I-93 (Franconia Notch Parkway) get off on Exit 35 toward the Cannon Mountain Ski Resort and head west on NH 18. Go up roughly a half mile where you see a large parking area on your right. There will be sign for both the Bald Mtn. trail and the Artist Bluff Trail.

Route Description

Shot from Artist Bluff...


Bald Mtn.-Artist Bluff Loop Hike
1.5 mile
Elevation Gain: 350 feet


Information goes by ascending Bald Mountain first.



From the parking head up a clearly marked and well overuse old carriage road a moderate grade trail toward the col between Bald Mountain and Artist Bluff. Stay up this moderate grade 0.3 miles until coming to an intersection with Bald Mtn. spur on the left and the loop to Artist on the right. Take the Bald Mtn. Trail. Trail ascend Bald Mtn. for the next 0.1 mile with a number of scramble which become more intense and more steep heading towards the top. Use caution on this trail when icy because it is Class 2 and there are a number of dropoffs.

Head back to the intersect the way you came and then ascend the trail on the right. It will quickly ascend for the next 0.2 mile to the hieght of land where a number of small overlooks on the summit containing Artist Bluff. Once over the summit walk down a moderate to steeper section that has good footing for about 0.2 mile when you come up to the highly popular overlook of Artist Bluff on your left. Continue walking down the towards the road and you notice some good Class 5 rockclimbing granite on your left. At about 0.2 mile from Artist Bluff you hit enough intersection with one trail heading directly towards the street and another heading towards where you parked. Take the trail on the right and stay on it 0.4 mile back to the parking area.

Essential Gear

In summer just basic hiking shoes and water. In winter crampons are in order to do the loop hike. Use caution on the scrambling section of Bald Mountain. The rocks can be very icy.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.