Barranco de Guarañe

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.15181°N / 17.33528°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Punta de TejelechePunta de Tejeleche above Barranco de Guarañe

The regular route into the Tejeleche Range starts at Ermita de San Salvador in the village of Taguluche and follows Barranco de Guarañe to the main crest of the range. It is a steep scramble across loose rock and can be incredibly hot for most of the day, especially during the summer months. Starting out before nine in the morning ensures to get out of the oven (the barranco floor) before the sun rises above Roque de Mona.

In its second part the route climbs the east face of Punta de Tejeleche before reaching the plateau on top of the range. This climb also is steep and exposed where it gets near the top of the Punta. The plateau traverse is easy, however rather featureless so that orientation can become problematic.

Be careful on windy days and don't go in fog.

Getting There

Ermita de San SalvadorErmita de San Salvador, the trailhead for the climb

Follow the instructions on the main page which will lead you directly to the trailhead at the Ermita de San Salvador.

Route Description

Punta de TejelechePunta de Tejeleche

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 239m
      - Summit altitude: 600m
      - Prevailing exposure: S, later E
      - Type: 2-3h
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 500m elevation gain
  • Power: 2 - Steep and loose
  • Psyche: 2 - Exposed near Punta de Tejeleche
  • Orientation: 3 - Easy up to the crest, harder during the climb to Punta de Tejeleche, tough on the plateau

    From Ermita de San Salvador follow the road to taguluche for about 50m. Where the road turns left a narrow path turns off to the left, heading upwards beneath the Roque del Viento west face. After a short climbing passage the path heads down slowly towards the bottom of Barranco de Guarañe at the same time performing a circle around Roque de Mona. It reaches the bottom of the barranco almost directly to the west of Roque de Mona.

    In this place there is a section, in which the path has broken away in a landslide. The few marking cairns become a bit ambiguous (old marks vs. new marks)and descending into the barranco is not without dangers. Once inside the trail quickly heads out of it on the other (northern) side. Here you follow a large lava wall which already indicates the direction to the Tejeleche main crest. As you head out of the shadows of Roque de Mona the heat quickly increases. The steepness gradually decreases and you come to a juction on the Tejeleche eastern ridge.

    Here the paths from Arure and Ajolera join and all three routes turn westward, directly heading for Punta de Tejeleche. While the normal route turns north underneath the broad summit, a narrow, sparsely marked path heads up the wall. It turns left to gain a shallow, overgrown gully through which you have to scramble to the plateau on top. Punta de Tejeleche is located to the south of where the path joins the plateau and can be reached via a short scramble from the west and south.

    Now follow the marks to a notch between the north face summit structures where the normal route joins from the north. Negotiating several spurs the path slowly winds its way along the plateau and reaches another gully which heads up to a saddle. Be sure to climb to this saddle for breathtaking views to the wild coast underneath. Return for some 100m, then turn south and you circle the main summits of Tejeleche reaching another plateau to the south of the main summit. There's a lookout summit from which you have a great overview across the whole range.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear and water. On windy days you should consider bringing a windstopper.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    TejelecheRoutes