Barranco de Masca

Barranco de Masca

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Scenery, Canyoneering

Overview

At the entrance of Baranco de MascaJust outside town
Barranco de MascaEntering the gorge

Barranco de Masca is a beautiful deep canyon on the west coast of Tenerife.

From the little town of Masca, you can hike to the coast easily in three to five hours. Longer is better, not so much because you need the time to cover the distance, but to enjoy the scenery!

It's a hike of medium difficulty. There is a path, mostly. You won't be alone, many people hike it every day.

There is the occasional trickle of water and some still water. However, while the area is generally quite dry, if there is rainfall, this being a canyon, the situation could change dramatically.
Little PondLittle Pond

Getting there (and back)

If you've got a car, you can drive to Masca. It's on the TF-436. Alternatively, you can get to Masca by bus from Santiago del Teide, which in turn is on the bus route between Puerto de Santiago and Puerto de Santa Cruz. Either way, it's quite a scenic drive.

Once you reach the coast at the end of the canyon, you can either walk back, or take a boat ride that will bring you to the town of Los Gigantes, which lies right next to Puerto de Santiago.
You better make arrangements beforehand to reserve a place on one of the boats. If you try to get one on the spot and fail, you might have to walk all the way back to Masca, and take the long bus ride back!
Los GigantesLooking back

Apart from being a fast way back to civilization, the boat trip has the added bonus of offering great views of the 600 m high cliffs of Los Gigantes, and you can wonder in amazement how this gorge ever managed to cut its way through there. I would have been happy to pay the fare for these views alone!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

TenerifeAlbums