Battell Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12040°N / 72.9363°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Inspirational View from the summit

Approach

VIA THE BATTELL TRAIL: From Lincoln head up Quaker St. a half mile north before making a right onto Elder Hill Road. The trailhead will be on your left



Route Description

Battell Trail
Total Roundtrip Hike 5.8 miles
Elevation Gain 2500 ft.



The Battell Trail is a steeper and more challenging climb up to the summit of Mt. Abraham. The trail start of at a moderate pace up through sugarbush until reaching two roads that intersection the trail about a mile up from the trailhead. The trail after the intersection becomes steeper and steadier until reaching the Long Trail.

From this point to the summit the Longs trail steepens from moderate pace to a similiar pace on the Battell Trail, only with a number of smaller scrambles and one class 2 scramble near the summit.

Essential Gear

In summer only essential hiking gear is needed.

In winter though this trail is the perferred winter route to Abramham summit. There is only a 0.2 mile roundtrip distance between winter and summer which is quiet a contrst with Lincoln Gap. Like all peaks over 4000; feet in Vermont and New Hampshire crampons, yal traks and snowshoes are required. Though there is one small class 2 section I don't really see a reason for an ice axe.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.