Bergeries de Cappellaccia

Bergeries de Cappellaccia

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.27585°N / 9.07329°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike and Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking down the couloirLooking down the final couloir from the top

The Plateau d'Alzo between Gorges de la Restonica and Gorges de Tavignano has been used for cattle and sheep grazing for ages. There are several shepherd's huts together with corrals, which hug the granite rocks which are the foundation of the plateau. En route to the summit of Le Forcelle you come across one of the largest ones, Bergeries de Cappellaccia. The shepherds have maintained a wonderful route to get to bergeries and plateau, which nowadays is used as a hiking trail to reach the summit of Le Forcelle.

Up to the plateau the trail is well kept, almost paved and switches back and forth the south slopes of the plateau. But once you passed the Bergeries de Cappellaccia it turns into a steep scramble through a broad couloir, which heads up between the dome-like summits which make up Le Forcelle. The final section is overgrown and steep while the last steps require some easy climbing moves.

Getting There

Gorges de la RestomicaGorges de la Restonica

The trailhead is at Pont de Frasseta in Gorges de la Restonica. You reach it from Corte by RD623 and it is located some 10km from the town. There are parking spaces to both sides of the road and the trail is marked by a big signboard.

Route Description

Le ForcelleLe Forcelle

  • General:
    • Start altitude: 960m
    • Summit altitude: 1765m
    • Prevailing exposure: South, south-west
    • Type: Hike and scramble
    • Protection: None

  • Effort: 1 - Elevation gain: 900m
  • Power: 2 - Steep in the final sections
  • Psyche: 2 - The couloir is a bit tricky
  • Difficulty: 2 - Easy
  • Orientation: 2 - Marked paths up to the Bergeries, later only cairns


From the parking space at Pont de Frasseta a well kept trailheads out in westerly direction, following the direction of the road. It gains elevation by multiple switchbacks until it reaches an intersection. The left hand trail follows Gorges de la Restonica to Bergeries de Grotelle at the end. We, however, follow the right hand trail, which now quickly gains elevation.
Starting out
Monte Leonardo
Looking towards Le Forcelle

There is a first good view of the northern tower of Monte Leonardo in the south-east but soon the path drops into a forest of Larico Pines. After a long traverse the pines are left behind and views to Pic Lombarduccio and Monte Rotondo gradually develop. After crossing a creek the path turns right, now heading directly for the granite domes of Le Forcelle.
Larico Pine
Slope traverse towards Le Forcelle
Benath the saddle towards Plateau d Alzo

The slope traverse is long and ends some 100m beneath the saddle which leads to Plateau d'Alzo. Now the path zig-zags towards the saddle in many switchbacks. Here on the plateau you see two bergeries, Bergerie d'Alzo and Bergerie de Colletta at both of which you might be able to get some of the famous Corsican cheese. Instead turn east and pass the many huts of Bergeries de Cappellaccia on their northern side, also passing the granite tower to the right, underneath which most of the huts have been constructed.
Monte Rotondo
On Plateau d Alzo
Le Forcelle

After the tower, cross over to the southern side of the ridge, where you find yourself right between the many summit domes of Le Forcelle. Turn left and hike up the steep couloir between the ridge and the most massive domes. It leads to a saddle, where a bit of a bushwhack awaits you. Turn left through the bushes, then head up a steep, scree covered slope between the two main summits of Le Forcelle. Again, a saddle is reached, this time directly to the south of the main summit. Scramble across the granite blocks to the top (several possible options, all easy climbing).
Granite Domes
Looking across the granite domes
Descending from Le Forcelle
Le Forcelle Summit

Essential Gear

Hiking gear is sufficient.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.