Black marks

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.22494°N / 20.01435°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Rocky walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Koscielec Peak is one of the classic hiking/climbing targets in the area of Gasienicowa Dolina Valley (more common name - Hala Gasienicowa).

It is very easy to get to Hala Gasienicowa by numerous marked routes going from Kuznice near Zakopane town ( 2 hour easy hike ) .

There is a famous Murowaniec Mountain Chalet situated beatifully in the center of Hala Gasienicowa at the height of 1500 meters .
Great base when planning longer stay in the area ( often overcrowded in the high summer season) .


Route Description


We start our trip to well seen impressive tower of Koscielec Peak(2155) at Murowaniec Chalet(1500) .

Our trip consists of 2 stages - first we have to get to Karb Pass(1853) dividing Koscielec massif into 2 ridges : main with Koscielec(2155)
and the northern ,much lower one culminating in rather modest peak of Maly Koscielec(1863) .

There are 2 possibilites of getting there :

Murowaniec - Czarny Staw Gasienicowy(Black Lake)(1622) - Maly Koscielec ridge - Karb Pass(1853)

Black marks ,3 km ,1 h

Murowaniec - Zielony Staw Gasienicowy(Green Lake) - Karb Pass(1853)

Green and then blue marks ,3.5 km ,1 1/4 h

The second route is especially recomended for winter season being less endangered of avalanches than the first one .

Both routes meet themsleves at narrow saddle of Karb Pass from which there is only one black marked tourist path leading to the summit of Koscielec .

Tooltip for IE: Koscielec
Koscielec summit route

It goes quite steeply close to the left edge of the granite ,northern slope of the mountain passing several thresholds ,little walls and well carved chimneys
( a few places where You have to use hands to climb ) to the summit of Koscielec pyramid(2155) .

There is not too much space on the summit which rises 530 meters above the miror of Black Lake ,great views .

Karb Pass(1853) - Koscielec summit(2155)

Black marks , 3/4 h

The whole area is usually a bit crowded in high summer season (July-August) during sunny days .

Watch out for rock icing during autumn months ,the summit route can be very dangerous in such conditions ,going near the edge undercut from north-east
by huge cliffs .

Essential Gear


In the summer conditions : good high mountain tourist equipment ( solid boots ,waterproofs etc.)

In winter when there is no avalanche danger on the walk-up sections : at least ice axe and crampons

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KoscielecRoutes