Blowing away Blowdown and Crater Lake Peak

Blowing away Blowdown and Crater Lake Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 5, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

The Stats

Blowdown Mountain and Crater Lake Peak
13.5 miles
4400 elevation gain
9 hours


The Trip


Si from Blowdown


Wow, if only I knew about these two peaks sooner. While on Dixie Peak Redwic and I were looking at both Crater Lake Peak and Blowdown Mountain wondering if the two peaks had names or views and were worth summiting. Redwic then later that week decided to climb them just after a snowstorm to find out more about the peaks. Well after he posted the page my immediate interest perked up about these two mountains. After all these two peaks sit right between both Teneriffe and Si, the latter probably one of the top three summits hiked to in Washington State. Well after hearing avalanche danger was very high on April 5th, 2009 we abandon another trip we were planning and change to the much safer summits of Blowdown and Crater Lake Peak. Our participants were Josh, Aaron, Leslie from NWHikers, Redwic and me EastKing.

From the south side of Blowdown


We decided to take the Teneriffe Fire Road Route up. Since Redwic summited these two mountains from the Si route he wanted to try something different. The Fire Road was a good alternative. We started at a fairly brisk pace on the way up but once about 2000 feet we were in the snow. Though the trail was broken until the Si turnoff, it was still slower going up the fire road. Once past the Si turnoff we had to break the trail the rest of the way to the summit of Blowdown. Views started just a little ways past the Si turnoff and dramatically improved as we continued up Blowdown Mountain. In fact despite hearing account that Blowdown did not offer much in the way of views, the views on the old road as well as the open area just before the summit were quiet impressive. Just show you that sometime you have to climb the mountain to find out the true facts about the mountain.

Rainier from the Fire Road

Rainier from Blowdown


We continued up Blowdown until we reached the summit of Blowdown which was supposed to be a disappointment. Maybe in summer this is the case but on a clear late winter day there a good framed view of neighboring Dixie Peak with Bessemer and Moolock in the background. We stopped only briefly for some picture taking before moving on to Crater Lake Peak. It should be noted that just before the summit of Blowdown there is a very good and interesting view of Mount Si from this peak. Also the summit area of Blowdown holds three volcano views though you have to move off the summit are to find stellar views of Rainier.

Dixie Peak from Blowdown Mountain


Now it was off to Crater Lake Peak. This peak is significantly smaller that Blowdown but is definite a worthy destination. We headed down a steeper but heavily forested ridge to Crater Lake Peak. The on this section was more packed making for an easier traverse of the two peaks. When we made to the summit of Crater Lake Peak we greeted with good views of Dixie Peak as well as an interesting prospective of Mount Si from this summit. Teneriffe was well framed off to the east and other mountains were clear visible from this summit. Though not a perfect panorama definitely a worthy destination and a great lunch stopping point.

SI from Crater Lake Peak

Teneriffe from Crater Lake Peak


After eating a good lunch it was time to head on back. We had to head back up to the summit of Blowdown. After all the hiking we had already done this was a little tiring but we maintained a good clip and were back up to the summit area of Blowdown. From here we took a little more direct path down Blowdown but staying rather close to our tracks. It was here that many us really got to see the great views on the south side of this mountain. The views maybe not as legendary as many in the North Cascades but they are worthy of a visit especially in winter.

We picked up the pace on the way down and though we were all tired we made decent time getting down. Some of the reason why we were a little tired was because this was one of the first weekends in a while that we were exposed to the sun. It was also a rare warm day here after a winter that had seen Seattle get up to triple the amount of its yearly snowfall and snow well into April. We did though make it down though a little tired very both shocked in the views and happy to tackle two more peaks.

Heading down Blowdown Mountain

Crew heading down


Some notes about this trip. First Blowdown and Crater Lake Peak make a great trip when avalanche danger is high and it is sunny or partly cloudy in this area. Second go up these peaks in winter to avoid the thick underbrush that hits these peaks. Third don’t expect to see people on these peaks because even people who religiously hike in this area have not heard of these two peaks. This is a benefit on many fronts but can be a deterrent in that you will have to break trail for quiet some distance.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Redwic

Redwic - Apr 5, 2009 11:30 pm - Voted 10/10

A lot of fun!!!

I first summited both peaks on a foggy/stormy day. I am so happy to have now gone on a good-weather day... especially with snow covering all of the peaks traveled and seen. I spoke with a couple who were ascending the Fire Road, during our descent. They thought we must have summited Si or Teneriffe, but when I said "Blowdown Mountain and Crater Lake Mountain", the man said, "Crater Lake Mountain? I have hiked here multiple times and never realized that peak was even there!" It's fun to spread the word about such great destinations. The two peaks seemed to be similar to those found deeper in the Cascade Mountains, and that really impressed us. Everyone did very well, with each of us switching positions during the hike so no one person did all the trail-breaking. Again, highly recommended summit climbs!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Blowdown MountainTrip Reports