Bocchetta di Forcola

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.54446°N / 10.39672°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Punta di RimsPunta di Rims

The normal route to Punta di Rims runs through the saddle Bocchetta di Forcola, a point which was of strategic importance during WW I. Here the Italians had massive artillery positions, which were able to reach the (then) Austrian villages on the other side of Stilfser Joch / Passo di Stelvio. Even today, 90 years after the end of the war, there are still the remains of these positions visible all over the southern side of the mountain.

The route is a marked hiking route, without any major difficulties. The Bocchetta is plainly visible for much of the way and the final ascent of Punta di Rims follows an old military road to the summit. The mountain itself becomes visible only in the last stage of the ascent, as a rocky ridge bars most of it from view.

The first part of the route - until you reach Bocchetta de Forcola - is also a popular mountain bike route. Bikers, however, usually descend on the other side of the pass in direction of Bormio.

Getting There

Corne de Radisca (2934m), Monte Radisca (2970m), Monte Braulio (2980m)Valle del Braulio

See the main page for the information how to get to the trailhead at Umbrailpass / Giogo di Santa Maria / Wormser Joch. It is located right next to Europe's highest road pass, Stilfser Joch / Passo del Stelvio.

Route Description

Punta da RimsPunta di Rims with the ascent route through the west face

  - Start altitude: 2500m
  - Summit altitude: 2948m
  - Prevailing exposure: S
  - Type: Hike
  - Protection: None
  • Effort: 500m elevation gain
  • Power: 1 - Easy
  • Psyche: 1 - Easy
  • Orientation: 1 - Easy
    Piz UmbrrailPiz UUmbrail from the route

    From the Italian customs building on Umbrailpass head south on the road for a couple of hundred metres. Leave the road (signs Sentiero Life) in westward direction and head along underneath the jumbled south face of Piz Umbrail. The path gradually rises but mainly follows the terrain in long sweeps. Part of the meadows have been set aside as a nature preserve and you can observe quite a variety of alpine birds and animals here.

    The path climbs a small hillock from which the destination of the first stage can be seen: Bocchetta di Forcola. It is a notch in the line of a rocky ridge, which for most part of the way hides Punta di Rims from view. The path makes directly for it, in the last section getting steep and heading to the notch in several switchbacks. Take your time in the bocchetta. There are many signs of WW I fighting left and you will find a couple of signs giving explanations. In the bowl on the far side of the bocchetta you'll find the ruins of two buildings - an old WW I barracks and an Italian customs building towering above it.
    Corne de Radisca (2934m), Monte Radisca (2970m), Monte Braulio (2980m)Monte Braulio
    Valle del Braulio and Cima de Piazzi (3438m)Cima de Piazzi
    Ortler Group ViewOrtler Group

    From the bocchetta follow the roof covered trench to the east. Right behind it a military road starts which leads you up the mountain. First follow eastward but then the road heads out into the broad west slope of the mountain. It almost touches the mountain's main ridge befor heading back and directly onto the broad summit.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.