Bottle and Ptarmigan Peaks via Fraser Experiemental Forest

Bottle and Ptarmigan Peaks via Fraser Experiemental Forest

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.86440°N / 105.9467°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Bottle and Ptarmigan Peaks-Introduction

For people living in the Fraser River Valley or along the Front Range, this route offers the shortest drive. It’s a pretty route, but not quite as scenic as the Keyser Creek route. Most of the trail is good, but fades away near Bottle Peak (which is climbed over along the route). From the Bottle Peak area to the summit, the trail is faded or non-existent, but you can see your objective in front of you and cross country travel is easy.

The round trip distance to climb Bottle and Ptarmigan Peaks from the Fraser Experimental Forest Route is 6.0 miles round trip with 2300 feet total elevation gain.

Bottle PeakBottle Peak as seen from the summit of Ptarmigan Peak.

Approach

There are a few routes to get to the trailhead, but this one may be best. From Highway 40 at the shopping center near the canter of Fraser, turn south on County Road 72 for 0.2 miles. Turn right on Fraser Parkway for 0.8 miles. Turn left on County Road 73 and follow it for 7.0 miles. There are a few side tracks, but stay on the main road. Make a right and follow the road 3.0 miles to the gate and trailhead. The road has a few potholes, but is suitable for two-wheel-drive vehicles.

Route Description

Note: The beginning of this trail is not shown on the topo map.

From the gate, follow the closed road up for 0.7 miles to the actual beginning of the trail. From the beginning of the trail, follow the trail marked for Bottle Pass up the hillside. This part of the trail is newly constructed as the trail switchbacks up to the ridge through the forest. Once the ridge is reached, there is a trail sign/junction.

Turn right (north), and follow the sometimes faded trail north, staying right along the ridge to Bottle Peak. The route to Ptarmigan Peak is clearly visible. Follow the slope down to Bottle Pass (no trail is visible).

From Bottle Pass, climb the NE slopes of Ptarmigan Peak to the summit. Return the same route, but if you wish you can bypass the very summit of Bottle Peak on the return trip.

The round trip distance to climb Bottle and Ptarmigan Peaks from the Fraser Experimental Forest Route is 6.0 miles round trip with 2300 feet total elevation gain.

Approaching the summitApproaching the summit of Ptarmigan Peak on June 27 2009.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.