But who was the Abbé Joseph Marie Henry (1870-1947)?

But who was the Abbé Joseph Marie Henry (1870-1947)?

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing

Historic & Religious Overview

The Abbot Joseph-Marie Henry. He made the first ascent of all the ridges of Mont Emilius (East and West 1902 North-Northeast Corner 1906) except that the "Three Capuchins" which took place on the first of Mountain (1832), and even with Grégoire Comé the first ascent on Southwest Crest Peak Garin (1902). Joseph Marie Henry was born in Courmayeur, March 10th, 1870, the son of a Mountain Guide of Mont Blanc, was a Priest, Botanist and Mountaineer in the Aosta Valley, known as "the Abbé Henry".



First assistant Pastor in Cogne Valley, collaborated with the Abbot Pierre Chanoux to the creation of the "Alpine Garden Chanousia" at the Hill of the Little St. Bernard. In his native Courmayeur wanted to establish another botanical garden. The garden is still in existence and is the "Park Abbé Henry", in Plan Gorret. He became particularly known and famous when August 5th, 1893 for the first time celebrated the Holy Mass on the Summit Mont Blanc. Became Pastor of Valpelline studied in depth the valley climbed almost all the peaks of the surroundings giving several names to the different Summits. He contributed actively to the "Société de la Flore Valdôtaine", and was President since 1901 until 1941. In July 1931, Henry accomplished an ascent very special driving a donkey, "Cagliostro", up to the terminal crevasse nearby the Top of Gran Paradiso bringing with him a donkey up to the Summit. This climb provoked clamor and curiosity in the world of mountaineering calling the masses to Valsavarenche that mistakenly had become a climb without any danger that much had been accomplished as well by a donkey ... A great boost for Tourism, but certainly not a good image for the "Granpa" or Gran Paradiso. Joseph-Marie Henry died Valpelline suddenly January 1th, 1947, at the age of 77 years, took care of his garden while in the company of his loved bees.
Important Writer for the History of Aosta Valley, but even more so for that of the same Mountaineering, especially in its intrinsic links with the Clergy Mountain enthusiast.
* He contributed to various magazines, not least that of the C.A.I., in which he published articles in the basic study of the mountains with a particular fondness for the Group of Mont Emilius. This is the list of his most important works, bearing in mind that the one on "his" Valpelline is then fundamental to the preparation of Mountain Guides Facebooks, including those of the Series C.A.I./T.C.I. with the Pennine Alps Volumes I° and II° (1971 and 1970). In chronological order of publication: "L'alpinisme et le Clergé Valdotain", Edit. by the Imprimerie Catholique in Aosta 1905, " Valpelline et sa vallée" Aosta 1913, "Guide du Valpelline", printed by Impr. Cath. Aosta 1921 and 1925, "Histoire populaire, civil et religieuse de la Vallée d'Aoste Tome I° and II°" Aosta 1929, "Cagliostro: l'asino che scalò il Gran Paradiso" 1931, "Reconnaissances et inféodations dans la Valpelline (Seigneurie de Quart) en 1500" 1938. These works are important for the study and reconstruction of the events succeeded in the whole Valley, not only for the Mountaineering.
* * In order to pass, and rightly so, his memory of Mountaineer and Scholar of "his" Valpelline the Mountaineer-Writer Gino Buscaini in "Pennine Alps Volume II°" 1970, in page 571, has dedicated to him a little mountain between the Comba Dèche and to Verdzignola Vallon (to Southeast of Valpelline) and the watershed St. Barthelemy/Valpelline, between Becca Conge and the Eastern Top of Tsaat à l'Etsena. Paradoxically, in his crossing of the September 02th, 1912 through Saint Barthélemy Hill the Abbot made ​​the first ascent of the Becca Conge (2954m) to reach the same still a "virgin" East Point of Tsaat (about 2974/5 metres), while avoiding under ridge to East what would become "his Top" (2918m). The same was reached, without finding any signal on the Summit, by Osvaldo Cardellina and Giuseppe Lamazzi August 20th, 1978 using the same route then extended also to the Pass and the Beaks of Fana. Even the latter (2951m) were achieved for the first time by the Abbé, with away from the South in August 12th, 1912, during an attempt towards the Western Summit of Tsaat à l'Etsena, considered erroneously higher (about 2967 metres) was climb for the first time by the same July 13th, 1923, in this neglected sector of the mountains of which he was certainly the first and only Explorer. Moreover, in addition to these small mountains lesser-known Explorations of Valpelline, he was also a skilled mountaineer climbing almost all the most famous peaks of the Valley of Aosta: the Mont Blanc, where he celebrated Mass at the Summit, Dente del Gigante (Giant's Tooth), Mont Velan, Grand Combin, Matterhorn, Gran Paradiso, the "Grivola bella" and the hard and "surly" Grand Nomenon, the two latter in the Winter.

By Carducci Poet until Henry Abbot-Mountaineer 2015
Prince of Courmayeur Guides before J. M. Henry 2015
Jos. M. Henry Nearby <i> Duca degli Abruzzi Museum </i> 2015
Joseph M. Henry Dolonne Hamlet mystical statue 2015
J. Mar. Henry Dolonne Village near Courmayeur 2015


The Municipality of Courmayeur and surroundings, the World, under the Mont Blanc, from which he was arrived


* * * A nice firm realized it down in August 1892 alone, after a short stretch on the West Ridge, the still "virgin" and steep North Face of the Grand Golliaz (3237m) through the Right Rib or Western on the Glacier des Angroniettes. Also notable is the exploration activities in the small Range of the Arolletta above Dzovenno and Ru(z) tiny Villages:
July 17th, 1905 first ascent of the South Ridge Highest Point North of Arolletta (about 3060m) and the first crossing from East to West of the Col des Chamois (3015 metres approx), with the Abbot Pantaléon Bovet and the friend Valérien Jaccod. September 27th, 1906, into Luseney Group, first ascent on Southwest Face and first descent South-southwest Crest of Mont Redessau, Southeastern Summit (3237m), to Praterier Carving. On August 4th, 1913 with the Guide Théodule Forclaz first ascent on Aiguille of Arolletta (2700 metres approx), with first crossing East to West Duc Pass (about 2635m). Also on the same day the first ascent of the Punta Bishop Joseph-Auguste Duc (2810m) via the Southeast Ridge. In Luseney Group, July 13th, 1914, lone, first ascent of Brèche Bovard (about 2860m), between Gendarmes des Rayes Planes/Becca Bovard, through Southwestern Slope, with Mountain Guide Théodule Forclaz, arriving from Pointe de l'Artse, first ascent absolute of Becca Bovard (2983m). The same, then still unnamed, was dedicated to his friend and fellow climbs Alexis Bovard, Curate of Rhêmes, who died a few days later in a tragic way near the Chamonin Pass into Gran Paradiso Massif, August 06th, 1914. Moreover, August 31th, 1914, first ascent, lone, South Face Mont Redessau Northwest Top (3253m) and aerial traverse to Southeast Summit.
Ascension to the Pas du Chamois repeated August 20th, 1918, Guide Théodule Forclaz, and first on Bec Noir de l'Arolletta (about 3030 metres) via the small Eastern Wall.
Before crossing the Col du Grand Barmé (about 2720m), from August 01th, 1919, only. First ascent absolute of Vierge de l' Arolletta (about 2960m), September 5th, 1919 with the Abbot Victor Anselmet, via the North Ridge. First of the Tour du Freyty (about 2317 metres), with Pierre Nicolet September 28th, 1921, by the Northern Crest.
* * * * A statue in the little but main square of Courmayeur Commune dedicated to him, close to the "Museum of Mountain Guides Duca degli Abruzzi", reminiscent of his work in his native country, at the foot of Mount Blanc Chain, from which he started to do his "Travel Abbot's and Popularizer of the Mountain". All generations climbing, in addition to the "Friend of the British" (that made ​​the visit) the post-war period to the First World War have consulted with him, considering their "Guardian Numen".



"The Spirits of the Abbots on North-northeast Edge Emilius", by Osw


L'Abate Joseph-Marie Henry. Ha realizzato la prima salita di tutte le creste del Monte Emilius (Est ed Ovest nel 1902 e Spigolo Nord-Nordest nel 1906), tranne quella dei "Tre Cappuccini", che era già stata percorsa durante la prima ascensione assoluta della Montagna (1832), ed inoltre nello stesso periodo d'inizio Secolo ha effettuato con la Guida di Charvensod Grégoire Comé la prima salita della Cresta Sudovest del Pic Garin (1902). Joseph-Marie Henry è nato a Courmayeur, il 10 di Marzo 1870 ed era figlio d'una Guida Alpina del Monte Bianco; nella sua vita é stato un Sacerdote, un esperto Botanico ed anche un valente Alpinista della Valle d'Aosta, popolarmente noto come "l'Abbé Henry".
Dapprima in qualità di assistente Pastore in Valle di Cogne, ha collaborato con il "mitico" Abate Pierre Chanoux nella creazione del "Giardino Alpino Chanousia" al Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo. Nella sua nativa Courmayeur ha voluto impiantare un altro similare giardino botanico. Questo, che è ancor oggi esistente, porta il suo nome ed é riconosciuto quale "Parco Abbé Henry", al Plan Gorret. Divenne particolarmente noto e famoso quando il 5 agosto 1893 per la prima volta celebrò la Santa Messa sulla Vetta del Monte Bianco. Diventò Parroco del Villaggio di Valpelline, partendo dalla quale ha studiato a fondo quella valle scalandone quasi tutte le vette dei dintorni e spesso attribuendo il giusto toponimo alle medesime con dei nomi che le stesse ancor oggi mantengono. Ha contribuito attivamente alla fondazione della "Société de la Flore Valdôtaine", della quale ne fù Presidente dal 1901 insino al 1941. Nel mese di Luglio 1931, l'Henry compì un'ascensione tanto speciale quanto bizzarra alla guida d'un asino, chiamato "Cagliostro", facendolo salire fino alla crepaccia terminale appena prima della Vetta del Gran Paradiso. Questa apparve siccome cattiva immagine provocando grande clamore e curiosità nel mondo dell'Alpinismo, rischiando il fatto di richiamare le masse a Valsavarenche con l'idea erronea che questa fosse diventata salita senza pericolo alcuno, suffragata dal fatto che fosse stata realizzata pur da un asino ... Un grande impulso per il turismo, ma non certamente per il "Granpa". Joseph-Marie Henry è mancato improvvisamente nella "sua" Valpelline il primo di Gennaio del 1947, all'età di 77 anni, mentre, come al solito, si prendeva cura del suo bel giardino, sempre in compagnia delle sue amatissime api.
Importante Scrittore nella Storia della Valle d'Aosta, ma ancor più in quella dell'Alpinismo Valdostano, soprattutto nei legami intrinseci col Clero appassionato di montagna.
* Collabora con varie riviste scientifiche ed alpinistiche, non ultima quella della Rivista mensile del C.A.I., in cui ha pubblicato articoli nello studio di base delle montagne, con una particolare predilezione per il Gruppo del Monte Emilius. Questa è la lista delle sue opere più importanti, tenendo presente che quella concernente la "sua" Valpelline risulta quindi fondamentale nell'attuale preparazione di guide di montagna, compresi quelli della Serie C.A.I./T.C.I. come in Alpi Pennine Vol I° e II° (1971, 1970). In ordine cronologico di pubblicazione riscontriamo: "L'alpinisme et le Clergé Valdotain", Editato dall'Imprimerie Catholique in Aosta 1905, "Valpelline et sa vallée" Aosta 1913, "Guide du Valpelline", Editato dall'Imprimerie Catholique in Aosta 1921 e 1925, "Histoire populaire, civile et religieuse de la Valle d'Aoste Tome I° e II°" Aosta 1929, "Cagliostro: l'asino che scalò il Gran Paradiso" 1931, "Récognitions et Inféodation dans la Valpelline (Seigneurie de Quart) en 1500" 1938. Queste, tutte opere fondamentali per poter ricostruire od ampliare quella che é stata la storia popolare, civile, religiosa e quindi non soltanto alpinistica nell'intera Valle di Aosta, comprensiva anche dei tanto spesso bistrattati studi toponomastici.
* * Per ricordare, e giustamente, la sua memoria d'Alpinista nonché studioso di botanica e di storia popolare e religiosa in quella che lui sentiva come "sua Valpelline" l'Alpinista-Scrittore Gino Buscaini nella Collana "Guida dei Monti d'Italia" e precisamente in "Alpi Pennine Volume II°", in pagina 571, gli ha dedicato una montagna tra la Comba Dèche ed il Vallone di Verdzignola (a Sudest di Valpelline) e sullo spartiacque Saint Barthélemy/Valpelline, tra Becca Conge e la Cima Orientale della Tsaat à l'Etsena. Paradossalmente, nella sua traversata del 2 Settembre del 1912, attraverso il Colle di Saint Barthélemy, l'Abate ha realizzato la prima salita della Becca Conge (2954m) col fine di raggiungere l'ugual allora "vergine" Punta Est della Tsaat (circa 2974/5m), evitando sotto cresta ad Est quella che sarebbe diventato "la sua Cima" (2918m). La stessa è stata raggiunta, senza trovare alcun segnale sul Vertice, da Osvaldo Cardellina e Giuseppe Lamazzi il 20 d'Agosto 1978 con lo stesso itinerario dell'Abbé, poi esteso anche al Passo ed ai Becchi di Fana.

 Aug 01, 1976: along the Monte Emilius s west<br> ridge; in the foreground  Piccolo Emilius <i>3342m</i>
Grand Golliaz <i>(3238m)</i> from the neighbourhood of lacs de Fenêtre
New and Integral Route S-SW Buttress First Ascent and view to Garin S Wall
Il Trident de l Aroletta, la Vierge de l Aroletta
Winter to Point Henry, Becca Conge & Matterhorn 1985


Emilius W Ridge, Gr. Golliaz N Wall, Garin SW Crest, Vierge, Bec Noir and Arolletta, Tsaat à l'Etsena and Becca Conge, some achievements of "our Abbot"

by livioz (photo Daniele Zefiro), Antonio & Osw


Anche quest'ultimi (2951 m) son stati raggiunti per la prima volta dal "nostro Abbé", partendo e salendo dal Sud il 12 Agosto del 1912, durante un tentativo verso la Punta Occidentale della Tsaat à l'Etsena ritenuta erroneamente più elevata (circa 2967 metri) e che era già stata da lui salita per la prima volta il 13 Luglio del 1923, in questo negletto settore di cui era stato sicuramente il primo ed unico esploratore. Oltre ad essere un instancabile Esploratore, in aggiunta a queste piccole e meno note Montagne della Valpelline, era anche alpinista esperto nell'arrampicata, fatto suffragato dalla salita di quasi tutte le più famose Vette della Val d'Aosta: dal Monte Bianco, con celebrazione della Santa Messa sulla Cima al Dente del Gigante, al Velan, Grand Combin, Cervino, la "Grivola bella", Gran Paradiso ed il tosto ed "arcigno" Grand Nomenon, l'ultime due d'inverno.
* * * Bell'impresa realizzata da solo in discesa nell'Agosto 1892, dopo breve tratto sulla Cresta Ovest sull'ancor "vergine" e ripida Parete Nord del Gran Golliaz (3237 m) attraverso la nervatura di destra sul Glacier des Angroniettes. Notevoli anche le attività d'esplorazione nella piccola Catena dell'Arolletta, sopra i Villaggetti di Dzovenno e Ru(z):
17 luglio 1905 ottiene la prima salita della Cresta Sud sulla Punta più elevata o Settentrionale dell'Arolletta (circa 3060 metri) e la prima traversata da Est ad Ovest del vicino Col des Chamois (3015 metri circa), con l'Abate Pantaléon Bovet ed il compaesano Valérien Jaccod. Il 27 settembre 1906, nel Gruppo della Becca di Luseney prima salita sulla Faccia Sudovest e prima discesa della Cresta Sudovest del Mont Redessau, Sommità Meridionale (3237 m), fino all'intaglio di Praterier. Il 4 agosto, 1913 prima salita con la Guida Teodulo Forclaz sull'Aiguille dell'Arolletta (2700 metri circa), ed inoltre prima traversata da Est ad Ovest del Col Duc (circa 2635 metri). Anche nello stesso giorno la prima salita della Punta dedicata al Vescovo Joseph-Auguste Duc (2810 m) attraverso l'aereo Spigolo Sudest. Nel Gruppo della Luseney, 13 luglio 1914 in solitaria, prima salita della Brèche Bovard (circa 2860 metri), tra il Gendarme des Rayes Planes e la Becca Bovard, attraverso il Versante Sud, sempre con la Guida Alpina Teodulo Forclaz, arrivando da Pointe de l'Artse, prima salita assoluta della Becca Bovard (2983m). La stessa, allora ancor senza nome, è stata dedicata al suo amico e collega d'arrampicata Alexis Bovard, Curato di Rhêmes, che morì pochi giorni dopo tragicamente per caduta in un crepaccio nei pressi del Col Chamonin sul Gran Paradiso, nel giorno del 6 d'Agosto 1914. Inoltre, 31 agosto, 1914, prima salita, solitaria, sulla Parete Sud del Mont Redessau Cima Nordovest (3253m) e traversata aerea alla Cima Sudest. Ancora ascensione ripetuta al Col des Chamois il 20 Agosto 1918, Guida Théodule Forclaz, e prima salita del Bec Noir dell'Arolletta (circa 3030 metri) attraverso la Paretina Est. Prima d'attraversare il Col du Grand Barme (circa 2720m), il primo d'Agosto 1919, da solo. Prima salita assoluta della Vierge de l'Arolletta (circa 2960 metri) , il 5 settembre 1919 con l'Abate Victor Anselmet, attraverso la Cresta Settentrionale. Prima salita della Tour du Freyty (circa 2317 m), con l'amico Pierre Nicolet il 28 di Settembre del 1921, dal Col du Freyty e la Cresta Nord.
* * * * Una statua bronzea nella piccola ma principale piazza del Comune di Courmayeur a lui dedicata, vicino al "Museo della Guide Alpine Duca degli Abruzzi", ricorda il suo lavoro nel suo paese natale, ai piedi della Catena del Monte Bianco, dalla quale ha iniziato a fare il suo "Viaggio d'Abate e Divulgatore della Montagna". Tutte le generazioni Valdostane dell'Alpinismo e dell'Arrampicata, oltre ad averlo considerato e definito come "L'Amico degl'Inglesi" (che gli han spesso reso visita in Valpelline per informazioni e delucidazioni) rientrando nel tempo dal dopoguerra alla Prima Guerra Mondiale si son a lui consultate, eleggendolo a tutti gli effetti qual lor "Nume Tutelare".



Pointe Joseph-Marie Henry (2918m) into the little Chain Becca Conge-Tsaat à l'Etsena-Senevé-Tete d'Arpisson-Becca of Viou, by Antonio



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.