Cable Car Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.98970°N / 71.6049°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA UNCANOONUC NATURE TRAIL AND CABLE CAR ROUTE: From 114 roughly a mile east of the center of Goffstown. Take Wallace road passed Goffstown High School for 1.5 miles until you reach Mountain Base Rd. take a right on Mountain Base Road. Take the road through the wooded residential neighborhood until you reach Uncanoonuc Lake. The trail is just behind the beach.



Route Description

From South Uncunoonuc (2/26/04)


Cable Car Route
Elevation gain 600'
One way distance: 0.6 miles


The Cable Car Route is the most direct route to the summit. The trail itself is very steep and steady will no clear breaking of the steep grades until you reach near the summit. Footing on the path can be very hard do to the fact of the loose rocks and pebbles left over from when this route used to run cable cars.

The trail begin in the parking area to the left of the Uncanoonac Nature Trail. It begins at a moderate grade and crosses over a bridge at about 200 yards from the trailhead. The trail from this point steepens rapidly and travels along the left side of the mountains. It continues this pace for most of the trail. At about 0.5 miles there are two sets of overlooks on your right. One is the merger of the Uncanoonac Trail and another looks like a clearcut. Both viewing areas give amazing views of Manchester, NH and the sorrounding hills. The trail then moderate has it hits the top. Just before reaching the summit it will pass by a residential area on the left. Soon the trail will merge will a road which will go up 100 yards to the summit. Though the true summit is blocked of by fences, you can tour around all the cell towers (no good view).

Essential Gear

This is a very steep trail with grades ranging at about 35 to 45 degrees. Therefore I would highly recommend crampons to snowshoe on this trail in winter. I don't though think this trail warrants an ice axe, however do use caution descending in icy conditions.

In summer essential hiking gear such as water, hiking boots, etc. is all that is needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.