Cava di Nevaruoe

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.82599°N / 14.38658°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte SambughettiMonte Sambughetti from the Monte Campanito summit

The ascent to the summits of both Monte Campanito and Monte Sambughetti run along the eastern slope of Monte Sambughetti. Most of the track runs along trails and even dirt roads. Since the area is touristically developped with picnic recreation areas the first part of the climb is very easy. The main sight during this part of the climb is Cava di Nevaruoe, a neolithic cave carved out of one of the huge house sized boulders which can be found in the area.

Cava di NevaruoeCava di Nevaruoe


Behind the picnic area at the cave the trail gets real steep until it meets with a dirt road coming down from Monte Sambughetti. The intersection is right on the shoulder which leads to the Monte Campanito summit, from where the final boulder hopping ascent to the summit starts. With some clever moves the ascent remains fairly easy until the final summit block, which is one of the huge boulders, mentioned above and which has to be climbed outright.

For Monte Sambughetti turn right at the col and follow the wide track which leads up to the summit meadow. There is no climbing to be done there, just a stroll along the path.

Getting There

On the main page the general itinerary to Colle Contrasto and the parking lot on its southern side has been described. Follow these directions.

Route Description

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1050m
      - Summit altitude: 1512m
      - Prevailing exposure: No exposure until you get to the summit block, there exposure to all sides
      - Type: 2h on good trails
      - Protection: unprotected
  • Effort: 500m elevation gain
  • Power: 1 - easy
  • Psyche: 1 - easy, exposed on the summit

    From the parking space near the road SS117 at Colle Contrasto follow a dirt track in westerly direction. On your right hand there is a cattle fence, on your right a second one joins after a couple of 100m. Here a big ladder helps you to scale the left fence and you follow a deeply rutted track in a southerly direction. On a large meadow, the track finally turns northward, steadily and rather steeply climbing the Sambughetti eastern slopes. After about 45min you reach a lookout spot, where for the first time you can get a glimpse of Monte Etna in the far east.

    A short way behind that spot a signed path turns off south which leads to the picnic area at the Cava di Nevaruoe. Here a huge, house-sized boulder stands, which has been carved out for a dwelling in neolithical times. All around you can find rough stone benches and tables. From the cava the trail starts to rise steeply, and runs in switchbacks towards a small saddle to the west of the Monte Campanito main summit.

    From this saddle a short 500m hike leads you to the summit "block" of Monte Campanito. The trail passes by Monte Campanito to the north to head for Rocca Campanito . As you pass the summit boulders you can see an obvious opening through which you can get onto the ledges and mini-plateaus which lead to the summit. Everything is overgrown and route finding is a little tricky here. The best route runs along to the southern end of the final summit boulder, from where you have to step over a deep crack to reach and climb it.

    For Monte Sambughetti turn right (west) at the saddle. Here a dirt road starts, which switchbacks up in the direction of the Sambughetti summit. It forks right underneath the summit (about 50m below) and you have to take the upper road (surprise!), which leads you to the eastern summit meadow. A few steps east take you to the eastern summit, while several 100m to the west lead you to the summit pilar on the western summit.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear, maybe a rope and climbing shoes for the summit ascent - depending on your experience on exposed terrain.

    External Links

    Add External Links text here.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.