Cedar Mountain December 2005

Cedar Mountain December 2005

Page Type Page Type: Album

Cedar Mountain

Cedar Mountain is a small mountain (or a hill in my opinion) right near Craig Colorado where I live. Although often quoted I brochures or locally as a dormant volcano, the reports are not correct and it really is the remains of a volcanic lava flow from the Elkhead Mountains. The lava flow forms a cap of basalt that keeps the sedimentary rocks below the basalt from eroding away as fast as the surrounding county, so the result is this small mountain or large hill that stands alone. The peak is nearest too, but not a part of the Elkhead Mountains.

Because this is a small mountain or large hill and because there are radio towers on the summit I have long avoided creating a mountain page on it. It is doubtful that many would travel far to climb such a small peak and there are few if any other Summitpost members in Craig. Because of this, only an album will be submitted, but if anyone is ever in the area, the link for the info on how to climb the peak is below.

Cedar Mountain

Because of it’s proximity to my house I have climbed the peak dozens of times. There is a 3.1 mile loop that circles the horseshoe ridge of the peak and it provides fine views of the surrounding country and you can see for many miles.

Photos

I have climbed this peak several times. These particular photos were taken in December 2005 around Christmas time when the then three-year-old Kessler completed his first winter ascent of the peak. We did the 3.1 mile/5 km trip on a cold winter's day.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.