Cherry Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.32980°N / 71.4984°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

CHERRY MOUNTAIN TRAILHEAD(1,650'): Take I-93 North to Exit 36 toward Twin Mountain. Stay on road past Twin Mountain until reaching NH 115. Stay on NH 115 for 1.9 miles and the Cherry Mountain trailhead will be on your right.



Route Description

Picture of the Presidential...


Main Trail: 1.7 miles
Snowmobile Route: 0.2 miles
Total Hike: 3.8 Roundtrip (1923' elevation gain)


FROM CHERRY MOUNTAIN TRAILHEAD(1,650'): From the Trailhead the trail beings as a very easily graded log road. It continues past the logging area 0.3 miles and at 0.5 miles it forks and another road goes to the right. At 0.7 miles it becomes a footpath and reenter mostly forest. The trail continues to climb with a steep riverbed on the right. At 1.3 miles it passes over a spring. The trail becomes steeper and steadier as the trail rises higher and higher up the mountain, though it stays Class 1. At 1.6 miles the trail becomes much more gradual and at 1.7 miles it runs into a snowmobile route.

Take a left on the snowmobile route (0.2 mile) until it reaches the summit ( 3573') (marked by an abandoned firetower and special views of the Presidentials). Once on top enjoy the great views of the Presidential and the Pemigwasset Wilderness in a clearing on the other side.

Essential Gear

In summer just bring water and decent pair of hiking boots, essential hiking gear and a good camera. Also keep your eyes on the weather. Weird weather can come even at this lower elevation.

In winter you will need a good pair of snoshoes and treking poles. Crampons are optional but are good if it is icy. Dress appropriately to the conditions though.



Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.