Chippewa Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.07390°N / 71.92°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA CHIPPEWA TRAIL (1320'):From I-93 get off on Exit 32. When you hit the light on the ramp make a right on 112 (West) and head towards Woodstock. Go through Woodstock and set of light and stay on 112 heading west towards Woodsville. Stay on 112 past junction with 118 and past junction with 116 North toward Franconia. Keep on 112 until you reach 116 south towards Benton. Stay on 116 thru Benton. When you hit a fork on the road, stay left. down roughly four mile make a left on Lime Kiln Rd. and the trailhead will be roughly two miles on your left.




Route Description

View east off of the summit...


Chippewa Trail
Distance: 3.6 miles roundtrip
Elevation Gain: 1550'


The Chippewa Trail is a tougher but much more scenic route to the summit of Black Mountain than the Black Mountain Trail. This would be the desired trail for summitposters.

This trail begins out decending to a short bank. After heading to the the bottom the tail then ascends the bank onto a logging road. Make a right off the logging road. There is are Lime Kilns on your left. The trail at this point begins to steepen up. It continues it steep climb up to the ridgecrest and then ascends the ledges of Black Mountain. Roughly a mile along the trail great views begin to break out. The first is an overlook to the south and west and the other are throughout the trail. THe CHippewa Trail runs into the Black Mountain Trail just before the summit where even more fine views await (providing good weather0.

Essential Gear

In summer only essential hiking gear is needed. However in winter, crampons and snowshoes are required. There is exposure on part of this trail and it is steepers than the Black Mountain Trail. The trail though is much more scenic though, which makes for great payoffs.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.