Clear skies over Misti

Clear skies over Misti

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Scenery

Camping on the slopes

Misti from near the trailheadMisti from near the trailhead
Thirteen tourists and three guides were driven to a sign saying 3415m.

Twelve tourists and three guides reached the camp site at 4500m, as one Brazilian tourist got a real bad case of altitude sickness around 4000m and made the only possible choice. One of the guides escorted him back to the trailhead and called for transportation. Of course, the Brazilian had to pay for that, but that's better than paying with your life!
Fading daylight on Pichu Pichu from our camp site high on the slopes of MistiFading daylight on Pichu Pichu from our camp site high on the slopes of Misti
Sunset from our camp on MistiSunset from our camp

Summit day

Exhausted - but we made it!Exhausted on the summit
Heading for the summit of Misti - see that summit cross in the distance?Heading for the summit
Very early on the second day we started for the summit. Eventually, eight of the twelve made it. Considering that most of us had never climbed a mountain before, or been this high, I think that's a pretty good number!

I had expected a bare mountain, but even as I landed in Arequipa I already saw that there was some powder high on the mountains. When I reached the snow high up, with the summit in sight, I got a real big boost, since the snow made it a much more beautiful mountain with great views.



Two craters
The two craters of Misti. I'm standing on the outer rim, not far from the summit, looking over the inner crater. Clearly behind it is Pichu Pichu.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2

ojo - Oct 19, 2011 5:15 am - Voted 10/10

I told you...! I missed this one!

Some lovely pictures..and story. saludos, jane.

rgg

rgg - Oct 23, 2011 6:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I told you...! I missed this one!

Thanks Jane,

But, hey, you found it after all :-).

Saludos, Rob

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

El MistiAlbums