Cogne's Loadstone Mines History since 1432 until 1898 / 2

Cogne's Loadstone Mines History since 1432 until 1898 / 2

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Magnetite Overview Loadstone

Photos of this article are by Antonio Giani, Livio Zefiro aka livioz & Osw




A story that precedes even the arrival of the Romans in turn preceded by People of Salassians in what became since Celtic Coing until Conia and today Cogne.
For a long time the mining industry of the Valley of Aosta was configured with the iron mines of the Cogne Valley, now also become famous by getting around the world an important placement in the European mining production. These, along with those of gold and copper, have marked the economic history in the distant past with the extraction of these minerals from several mines. But coming to the "modern times" we must mention, in addition to the mines of Prenayex in Val Ferret of year 1337 and in times even more remote those of La Vachey always in Valdigne, especially those of Cogne that offer the first historical sources from 1432. In the footsteps of the Romans, who mined iron in Coing and sieving Grand'Eyvia between the Laval bridge and Pondel Hamlet, collecting the gold flakes and then coining the Empire money neighboring Chatel Argent (Villeneuve), Monsignor Moriset built a first furnace at Crétaz and Epinel (villages just below Cogne) entrusting the mining concession to Mr. Guichardaz Cogne. A later document of 1574 describes a new concession made by Monsignor Gromis to Mr. Luigi Vallealta native of Biella Town, who was able to obtain a high yield of the mine. The Bishop of Aosta and even Lord by Cogne was encouraged by these results at point to create a company in combination with Giovanni Fabri, Lord of Cly and First Secretary of the Duke Carlo Emanuele and also Noble and Bailiff of Aosta City. These, together with Mr. Luigi Vallealta, formed a company that had a duration of six years. A new and bigger mine is opened in 1577 in the village of Liconi, to the Southern slopes of Mount Creya (3015m) as well as internally to the vallon of the same name, through which the industry gets the most out of its expansion, however, hitting seriously heritage forestry to obtain the iron castings. At this point intervened the Municipality of Cogne forcing the mine owners to sell the same on 5th December 1639 with relative division of the gains made between the Bishop and the inhabitants of the valley, less expenses for the purchase of coal. In this way, the Common claimed its rights on forest ownership. The Fabrique du Fer Epinel is destroyed in 1640, also the year of the plague, by a terrible flood from the Torrent Grand'Eyvia forcing rebuild the ovens at the "Desert", where even today the ruins remain, but for not addressing the huge expenses forcing the Bishop of Aosta in the face the enormous costs of reconstruction to cede nearly all of its rights to "Cogneins" or to the inhabitants of Cogne. Angry and annoyed the Bishop first carried out his protest, then rented the furnaces and the mines to Mr. Carlo Mutta, who meanwhile had discovered a new outcrop above to Liconi (2495m) and is currently known as the "Miniera del Buon Vino or Mine Good Wine". This time it touched the Municipality of Cogne having angry and filed a lawsuit in the Turin Senate, which, however, with three judgments of 1670-1673-1676 gave the reason to the Bishop of Aosta doing the Cogneins arise in almost a revolution. These latter rebelled and threatened the destruction of the mines and furnaces, so that Mr. Balley to calm miners and other employees decided to sell all ("tant de filon que de torrent") to the Municipality of Cogne at the price of 300 guns in gold. The exploitation of the mine, established already in those times of four main galleries or Liconi, Colonna, Carlo Mutta and Monchalet (after and until today called Larcine or Larsine also Larsinaz), became absolute prerogative by the municipality and was administered for forty years by Dr. Cesare Emmanuel Grappein, then Mayor of Cogne from 1816 where he was born April 22, 1772 and where, in addition to the far-sighted Director, played the Doctor functions making it also one of the greatest intellectuals of the Valley of Aosta. After his death (1855) the high costs for labor forced the Commune to rent the mines in 1867 to Mr. Gervason Châtillon, owner of Ferriere Chameyran or Chameran near this last small town. The same already since 1854 had built the furnaces with blast furnace at Aymavilles and Villeneuve Municipalities but without great success. For lack of buyers the iron was accumulated in warehouses and at the end the iron and the mines were sold to the enchantment at Entrepon. The Company Mongenex, already owner of the Traversella Mines, won 2 November 1883 the Mines of Cogne for a term of four years and 26,260 francs to the price but generally resolved in a practical economic measures to get helping hand to low price work while the mine continued to remain inactive and always closed. This Century closes with rented by the Engineer Alfredo Theiss (8th September 1898) with an annual fee of 3,000 Swiss francs as well as a purchase option for the sum of 80,000 francs. A story that will continue in the twentieth Century at the turn of two World Wars and until the Seventies. Reaching Mount Creya with its fine Lodestone.

One-week trip / B Just above Gimillan Hamlet 2015
Mont Creya
Mont Creya


Una storia che precede anche l'arrivo dei Romani a loro volta preceduti dal Popolo dei Salassi in quella che dalla celtica Coing diventò Conia ed oggi Val de Cogne.

Per molto tempo l'industria mineraria della Valle di Aosta si configurava con le miniere di ferro della Valle di Cogne, ormai diventate famose in tutto il mondo ottenendo inoltre un collocamento importante nella produzione mineraria europea. Queste, insieme a quelle di oro e rame, hanno segnato la storia economica nel lontano passato con l'estrazione di questi minerali da numerose miniere. Ma arrivando ai "tempi moderni" dobbiamo citare, oltre alle miniere di Prenayex in Val Ferret del 1337 ed in epoca ancora più remota di La Vachey sempre in Valdigne, soprattutto quelle di Cogne che offrono le prime fonti storiche a partire del 1432. Sulle orme dei Romani, che estraevano il ferro a Conia e, setacciando la Grand'Eyvia tra il Ponte di Laval ed il Villaggio di Pondel, raccoglievano le pagliuzze di oro per poi coniare le monete dello Impero a Chatel Argent (Villeneuve), Monsignor Moriset fece costruire un primo forno a Crétaz ed Epinel (villaggi subito sotto Cogne) affidando tale concessione estrattiva al Signor Guichardaz di Cogne. Un successivo documento del 1574 descrive una nuova concessione effettuata da Monsignor Gromis al Signor Luigi Vallealta originario di Biella, il quale riuscì ad ottenere un elevato rendimento della miniera. Il Vescovo d'Aosta e Signore di Cogne venne invogliato da questi risultati a tal punto da creare una Società in connubio con Giovanni Fabri, Signore di Cly nonché primo Segretario del Duca Carlo Emanuele ed inoltre Nobile e Balivo della Città di Aosta. Questi, insieme al Signor Luigi Vallealta, costituirono una Società che ebbe una durata di sei anni. Una nuova e più grande miniera viene aperta nel 1577 nella località di Liconi, alle pendici Meridionali del Monte Creya (3015 m) nonché internamente all'omonimo vallone, tramite la quale l'industria ottiene il massimo della sua espansione colpendo però in grave modo il patrimonio forestale per ottenere le fusioni del ferro. A questo punto intervenne il Comune costringendo i proprietari della miniera a vendere la medesima il 5 Dicembre 1639 con relativa divisione degli utili ricavati tra il Vescovo e gli abitanti della vallata, dedotte le spese per l'acquisto del carbone. In questo modo il Comune faceva valere i suoi diritti sulla proprietà delle foreste. La Fabrique du Fer di Epinel viene distrutta nel 1640, anche anno della peste, da una terribile inondazione da parte del Torrent Grand'Eyvia costringendo a ricostruire i forni al "Desert", dove ancora oggigiorno permangono le rovine, ma obbligando il Vescovo di Aosta a fronte delle enormi spese di ricostruzione a cedere quasi tutti i suoi diritti ai Cogneins ovvero agli abitanti di Cogne. Stizzito e contrariato il Vescovo dapprima effettuò le sue proteste, poi affittò le fornaci e le miniere al Signor Carlo Mutta, che nel frattempo aveva scoperto un nuovo affioramento al di sopra di quello di Liconi (2495 m) ed attualmente noto come la "Miniera del Buon Vino". Questa volta toccò al Comune di Cogne di doversi arrabbiare ed intentò una causa presso il Senato di Torino che, però, con tre sentenze del 1670-1673-1676 diede la ragione al Vescovo di Aosta facendo insorgere i Cogneins in quasi una rivoluzione. Questi ultimi insorsero minacciando la distruzione le miniere ed i forni, tanto che il Signor Balley per calmare i minatori e gli altri dipendenti decise di vendere tutto ("tant de filon que de torrent") al Comune di Cogne al prezzo di 300 pistole in oro. Lo sfruttamento della miniera, costituita già in quei tempi da quattro gallerie principali ovvero Liconi, Colonna, Carlo Mutta e Monchalet (da allora conosciuta anche come Larcine o Larsine oppure Larsinaz), divenne prerogativa assoluta da parte del Comune e venne amministrata per un quarantennio dal Dottor Cesare Emmanuel Grappein, allora Sindaco di Cogne dal 1816 dove era nato il 22 Aprile 1772 e dove, oltre a quella di lungimirante Amministratore, svolse le funzioni di Medico risultando anche uno tra i più grandi intellettuali della Valle di Aosta non solo del suo tempo. Dopo la sua morte (1855) le notevoli spese per la mano d'opera costrinsero il Comune ad affittare le miniere nel 1867 al Signor Gervason di Châtillon, già proprietario delle Ferriere della località di Chameyran o Chameran nelle vicinanze di quest' ultima cittadina. Lo stesso già dal 1854 aveva costruito delle fornaci con altoforno presso Aymavilles e Villeneuve ma senza grande successo. Per mancanza d'acquirenti il ferro rimase accumulato nei magazzini di Entrepont ed alla fine ferro e miniere furono venduti all'incanto. La Ditta Mongenex, già proprietaria delle Miniere di Traversella, s'aggiudicò il 2 Novembre 1883 le Miniere di Cogne per la durata di anni 4 ed al prezzo di 26.260 franchi ma risolvendosi in pratica in manovra economica per ottenere mano d'opera a scarso prezzo, mentre la miniera continuava a restare inoperosa e chiusa. Questo Secolo chiude con la presa in affitto dell'Ingegnere Alfredo Theiss (8 Settembre 1898) con canone annuale di 3.000 franchi nonché un'opzione d'acquisto per la cifra di 80.000 franchi. Storia che continuerà anche nel XX° Secolo a cavallo delle due Guerre Mondiali e insino agli Anni Settanta. Raggiungendo il Monte Creya sopra le sue Miniere di Magnetite ...


Around the Cogne's Mines

The Routes most important & the recommended Excursions towards the Ironmines


Front view from Montseuc of the imposing building of Colonna mine <i>(2387m)</i>
The ridge from Punta di Arpisson to Punta Garin seen from Belvedere del Montzeuc
Magnetite mining region of Cogne  <br>seen from Montzeuc


1)- Pila Alp and Waterfall (2221m, 2250):
walk Gimillian by trail base in Northeast before to Tchezeu/Ecloseurs Alp, after North over Grua Torrent (E/F; 1h'20/1h'40).
2)- Ecloseur, Pila, Créuzet Alps, Money Lake, Monte Creya (1903m, 2221m, 2244m, 2550, 3015m): excursion from Gimillian with various paths before in North-northeast n° 8/TVC, after in Southeast n° 8D to loch end final part on Northern Slope through a small unnumbered path and sparce traces (EE/F; 4h'00/4h'30).
3- Ecloseur Alp, Larsinaz Loadstone Mines (1903m, 1899m): walk Gimillian with paths before in North-northeast, after South-southheast n° 8D (T/F; 1h'30/1h'45).
4)- Montroz Village, Larsinaz Loadstone Mines, Plan de Mont Salet collar (1702m, 1899m, 2301m): excursion from Montroz or Gimillan Villages with various paths before in North-northeast n° 8/TVC, after in South n° 8D, East n° 9 and North n° 5 towards Colonna and Liconi Magnetite Mines (2390m, 2495m) (E/F; 2h'30/3h'00).
5)- Montroz Village, Costa del Pino Loadstone Vein (1702m, 2026m): walk from Montroz with paths n° 9/5 in Eastnortheast and North to Mines (T/F; 1h'20/1h'40).
6)- Moline Village, Costa del Pino Loadstone Vein (1702m, 2026m): walk from Moline with paths n° 5/9/5 in East-northeast and North to Mines (T/F; 1h'30/1h'45).
7)- Champlong/Saint-Pierre (1596m) near Lillaz Hamlet, Costa del Pino Colonna Veins (2026m, 2386m): excursion from this locality taking the path in Northwest n° 7A reaching Facette Alp (1662m). Leaving left (West) the trail with a long crossing to the West-northwest is directed Montroz Village always with path n° 5/9. Continuing instead to the North dominating from the Liconi Vallon reaching the largest concentration which is the old remains of the Miners's Houses Colonna (E/F; 1h'45/2h'15 Lillaz).

The buildings of the disused Colonna Mine <i>2387m</i> on the slope of Montzalet <i>2759m</i>
 Descending from Les Ors...
Northward view climbing towards Pian Tournetta



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Aug 18, 2016 10:10 am - Hasn't voted

lodestone

The correct spelling in English is lodestone

OsvaldoCardellina

OsvaldoCardellina - Aug 21, 2016 2:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: lodestone

Just like at the end of the Overview.
Anyway thanks & HELLO,
osw

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.