Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Alberto Rampini

Alberto Rampini - Apr 24, 2016 11:33 am - Voted 10/10

Great page!

And interesting place to climb!
Thanks for sharing, Alberto

markhallam

markhallam - Apr 24, 2016 1:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page!

Thanks Alberto - for us it was close to being a perfect trip. I'd love to go back again - maybe a little further south to have a go at the 'furthest south 6 thousander' Marmolejo.

From what I have seen of your pages Cordon del Plata maybe too easy for you - unless you went in the winter - all 3 of the big ones have some very challenging routes on east faces which are only safe to attempt when all is frozen hard.

Good luck with your next plans!

Best wishes, Mark

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Apr 25, 2016 4:16 am - Voted 10/10

Quality

a really great report Mark, well done,
cheers Johnnie

markhallam

markhallam - Apr 25, 2016 3:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Quality

Thanks Johnnie - I enjoyed writing it almost as much as living it! best wishes Mark

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Apr 26, 2016 3:15 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Quality

I know the feeling Mark, back in 2015 I spent a year writing up my book "Why not be an engineer" and after publishing it I was scratching around looking for stuff to do.

cheers Johnnie

rgg

rgg - Apr 25, 2016 12:42 pm - Voted 10/10

You're getting better at this!

No frostbite, no broken bones, dislocated discs or even bad bruising? And only one minor trephination (I didn't know that word, by the way)? Boy, you are getting better!

Cheers, Rob

markhallam

markhallam - Apr 25, 2016 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You're getting better at this!

Berg Heil Sir and thanks very much! I'm pleased to have been able to add to your prodigious vocabulary - useful word too.
In all modesty I do have to point out that I did tip boiling water over my right knee and had to take a course of antibiotics when it got infected - but overall, you are correct I did do a little better this time despite the increasing ravages of the passing years. All the best for your next trip wherever it will be. Best wishes, Mark

dadndave

dadndave - Apr 27, 2016 1:10 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the entire epic.

markhallam

markhallam - Apr 27, 2016 1:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent.

Thanks a lot dadndave - it has been enjoyable to share it!
best wishes, Mark

Corax

Corax - May 3, 2016 7:08 am - Voted 10/10

All you need to know

A very good trip report with lots of useful information.
I have heard some people complain about the area. It's too crowded, too much garbage, too organized etc. and some of that may be true, but on the other hand it's a beautiful area and I find it perfect for acclimatization for higher peaks.
It's a perfect smörgåsbord of easy mountains and it has been my training ground before going to more serious targets many times.
Also, if you want to escape the crowds you can always do like Mark did. Leave the main valley and head for a side valley. Very few people, if any, there.
When I went to Augustin Alvarez and the peaks in that area I was completely alone for five days.
Well, not really. I had company of three dogs from the area and I was very impressed they managed to climb the glacier below the peak. I wasn't very happy to have them above me when down climbing though. There was already a lot of rockfall on that glacier and the dogs contributed to huge showers of rocks, stones and ice debris from above.

markhallam

markhallam - May 4, 2016 1:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: All you need to know

Thanks a lot Janne. Fortunately Mr Indio didn't roll any loose rocks on us on SB - there were some around, but he was very light footed! Yup - we had no trouble with crowding - and didn't even have to be in a side valley to experience a little isolation... just varying slightly from the normal did that (nobody apart from us at Salto Superior, La Hollada and then at our high camp on Plata - and then nobody apart from us on the Plata traverse, nor any sign anyone had been there inside several weeks)
Once more Janne thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to share with us your considerable knowledge of this area - which made a big influence on our planning and the success of this trip. Best of luck with your next trip - and I look forward to reading about it! Best wishes Mark (and Jon)

webasha - Sep 17, 2019 4:13 am - Hasn't voted

CCNMA Training center

webasha - Sep 17, 2019 4:15 am - Hasn't voted

RED hat linux Training Center

https://training.webasha.com/

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Cordon del Plata Expedition 2016' main page