markhallam

Offline

A Little About Me

I've had a love of mountains spanning over 50 years: walks & scrambles in the UK in 1970's, climbing expeditions to the European Alps & Himalayas in the 1980's, paragliding in Europe, NZ & Australia in 1990's. My very first mountain climb was Tryfan, North Wales, in 1969, aged 8... 

I got back to climbing in 2000's: took my wife Leila up Mont Blanc on honeymoon. I went on to a few solo alpine ascents, including my 5th ascent of Mont Blanc in 2009, leading up to February 2011, when I realised a dream and made a solo ascent of Aconcagua from the Vacas/Relinquos side, also fundraising for the Hepatitis C Trust.

Since then I have had had 3 alpine trips with rgg a.k.a 'The Peak Monster' highlights of which were 7/8 Mont Rosa summits and a 6th ascent of Mont Blanc with bivvy on the summit (in a thunderstorm!) - see Alps International Expedition 2013 below.

I have also had some memorable trips in UK, including a night in a snow-cave on top of Helvellyn, with son Andy, a return to same mountain with all 3 of my children plus granddaughter (aged 1)- and a 3 day expedition in Scotland in foul weather with Jake the dog...

In September 2014 I returned to the Alps again, with son Keith - and we climbed 2 Wallis 4000ers with rgg before climbing another 2 from my wish list Castor & Pollux - see Alps International Expedition 2014 below.

2016: I returned to the Andes in February, with old climbing partner from 1980's Jon - to climb as many peaks as we could in the Cordon Del Plata group. We had a fantastic trip, reaching 9 summits between 3000 and 6000m. Highlights were climbing San Bernardo 4142m with Indio the dog, climbing Rincon 5364m and traversing both summits of Plata; Pico at 5827m and Cerro 5962m. The mountains were wonderful, but so too were the people (and dogs) we met. I have posted a movie on Vimeo and have linked this to the end of a trip report I have posted on SP "Cordon del Plata Expedition 2016" - see below.

2017: UK based - I made a four seasons exploration of Glen Affric range, in 4 trips - culminating in the writing of Areas & Ranges page on the area - and - introducing a new Golden Retriever puppy, Henry, to the place (near Glen Affric) where his kind were first bred in 1868. 

2018: In February - a third trip to the Andes with Jon, highlight being ascents of Cerro El Plomo 5434m and Leonera 4954m via a circular route - in via Valle Nevado and out via Pintor to Leonera Ridge. In the UK I walked the Affric to Kintail Way with 2 sons, my 5 year old granddaughter and 2 year old Golden Retriever Henry. 

2019-2020: UK based: celebrated 50th anniversary of first ascent of Tryfan with old friends May 2019, two memorable winter explorations of the Cairngorms - and ascent of around 50 Wainwrights with Henry the dog. Another memorable highlight was I guided a large group from work around Yorkshire Three Peaks, between lock-downs, in atrocious weather, raising money for a charity, in June 2020... 

2021: I RETIRE APRIL 2021! Moving to Scotland where (I am told) I move from doctor into the employ of my wife, where we will manage a small wood and run a modest holiday letting business - but I (and Henry the dog) will be at some liberty to offer guided hill-walks in the plethora of hills in Southern Uplands....

My Images

See all of my 1972 Images:

My Lists

Show Lists

Content loading here...

Messages Relevant to Me

Messages Posted to My Contributions

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Replies to My Messages

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Messages I Posted/ Editable Objects

Messages I've Posted

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Objects I Can Edit

Show Objects

Content loading here...

Reviews I Posted/Reviews Posted to my Gear

Reviews I've Posted

Show Reviews

Content loading here...

Reviews Posted to my Gear

Show Reviews

Content loading here...

Objects Others Have Attached to My Objects

Show Attached Objects

Content loading here...

Photos Others Have Attached to My Objects

Show Attached Photos

Content loading here...