Crane Mountain Loop Hike

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 43.55029°N / 73.9464°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 2, 2005
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Loop Hike up Crane Mountain

Friday, July 1, 2005, three friends and I hit the road bound for the Adirondack Mountains of New York.  That evening we drove 250 miles from the Washington, D.C. area where we all lived to Pennsylvania’s Lackawanna State Park.  At Lackawanna State Park we connected with four more of our friends and shared a campsite with them. 

The next morning our combined group of eight set off bound for Crane Mountain, New York.  Following a second-rate lunch at a local diner in Warrensburg, New York  we drove west in search of the Crane Mountain trailhead located about 14 miles distant.  Even though more than one member of our group had hiked Crane before, and even though we had maps and directions from the Internet, we had a heck of a time locating the trailhead, accompanied by quite a bit of bickering.

The last section of the dirt road to the parking lot was full of large puddles and we worried, in vain, that we might get stuck. Alas we were finally out of the car, and hiking up the surprisingly steep trail to the top of Crane Mountain. We opted for the shortest route to the top which is only 1.4 miles but with an overall vertical gain of about 1150 ft. Along the way we got to climb two ladders; the first was 6 ft tall and the second, which took us to the peak, was 15 ft tall.

15 foot Ladder Which Takes You to the Peak of Crane Mountain
15 ft Ladder to the Peak of Crane Mountain

Six of the members of our large group arrived on top all about the same time, where we waited for and wondered what had happened to Erin and Rachel. We finally concluded that they must have turned around, and were waiting back at the cars. Just as we were about to begin the remaining 2.5 miles of our loop hike, I heard a voice that sounded like Erin’s. So I yell out to our two lost members, and gratefully we received a response back, learning that they were at the base of the second ladder.

With our group reassembled, down we went, on the other side of the mountain toward the pond. After about a mile we reached the peaceful and isolated Crane Mountain pond. Parley was up for a swim, but the majority felt we had better get back to the cars and find a place to camp before it got too late. So we descended from the lake and eventually we came to a fire road which we turned left on to, and followed to the puddle riddled dirt road, just below the parking lot. Dusk was not far away.

Crane mountain was a fun, short hike. The peak offered views of Lake George, as well as views of Speculator, Snowy and several other mountains. On the horizon we could also distantly see the Adirondack High Peaks. Perhaps we could see Vermont's Green Mountains in the very distant horizon as well. Doing the 4.9 mile loop hike via the pond was well worth the slightly extra effort.

That evening we pitched our tents in a grassy field next to Schroon Lake.


Crane Mt Loop Hike MapMap of the 4.9 mile Crane Mt. Loop hikeThe hike starts at the parking lot, climbs 1.4 miles to the peak of Crane Mt, then desends to the pond. It then follows the edge of the pond and leaves the pond losing elevation, until it comes to a fire road. Follow the fire road to the road, and return to the parking lot.

Also By This Author


The Author


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Crane MountainTrip Reports