Dolomites Via Ferrata tour May 2017

Dolomites Via Ferrata tour May 2017

Page Type Page Type: Album

Dolomites Via Ferrata tour May 2017

In the last week of May (2017) I spent 4 days in the Dolomites. Together with Koen we climbed multiple routes here. Our base was Cortina d'Ampezzo and we decided to make day trips from here. The routes and mountains we climbed are as follows (after driving from the Netherlands through the night we arrived early in het morning for Col Rosa:

Day 1: Col Rosa - Via Ferrata Etere Bovero, Day 2: Lagazuoi Piccolo - Kaiserjagersteig & Galleria / Tunnel Lagazuoi, Day 3: Toblinger Knoten - Both Ferratas (traverse) & an unsuccesful attempt on Monte Paterno (we had to turn around on 2 different Via Ferrata routes because of the large amount of snow on route, at 5PM we started along the third route but soon decided to call it a day and went back to Cortina for some beers and pizza;  Day 4: Via Ferrata Brigata Tridentina. We climbed the route up and down along the VF. Too much snow on the hiking trail down (impossible without crampons), also Cima Pisciadu could not be ascended. Great Via Ferrata, already quite busy in May, do not want to be there in summmer.. (on of the busiest VF's in the Dolomites)

In the evening we drove back to the Netherlands and early morning the next day we were back home again. Apart from a cloudy first day we had perfect weather on the other days. Clear skies all day long. Springtime in the Dolomites is great. Many of the Via Ferrata routes are very quiet. Some days we didn't see a single person on the VF-routes. The only thing to take into account is the snow still present on the mountains. Choose the lower (elevation) routes and you'll be fine :-) Still, I will come back sometime in summer or early fall for some of the classic VF-routes on Civetta, the Tofana's etc.



Comments

No comments posted yet.