Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.68970°N / 111.0009°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Additional Information Elevation: 11150 ft / 3399 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Though by far not the highest at 11,150 ft, East Long is easily the most beautiful of the mountain peaks ringing the popular lake country in the headwaters of Nork Fork Provo Priver.
East Long PeakReflecting in Long Lake

Long Lake and smaller lakes around get heavy use in summer, and the reflection of East Long Mtn in the lake is one of the most photographed sights in this part of Western Uinta Mountains.

When winter closes Mirror Lake Highway, East Long becomes a truly formidable challenge, requiring as much as 25 miler roundtrip. Once in while stray 'bilers get into upper Mid Fork Weber basin, but Long - Island Lakes area remains as desolate as it gets all winter round.

Note that this mountain has already been covered a bit in Scott Patterson's Long Mountain page, so I even thought about making this page a route for Long rather than a mountain page in its own right. However, this route wouldn't lead to the summit of main Long Mtn; and I think you would agree that East Long is large and picturesque enough to warrant its own page.

Routes Overview

East Long MountainWest ridge - view from Island Lake
Approaching the gentle West Ridge of East LongWest Ridge - view from approaches to West Saddle

West Ridge is the most gentle road to the peak, accessible from the North side of Long Lake, by traversing off Smith-Morehouse Pass, or from the headwaters of Mid Fork Weber River to the North.

East Ridge is steeper class 2-3. Comining both ridges in a traverse loop is highly recommended.

South Face is steep with small cliffbands but certainly a possibility, especially if you camp near Long or Ramona Lakes. North Face is cliffy with rockfall danger.

Getting There

Long LakeCrystal Lake TH and CG is just a hop over the low pass on the left

Crystal Lake TH just two miles away, is the nearest access point in summer, followed by 4WD Norway Flats TH to the SW, Smith Morehouse (Ledgefork) TH to the NW, and Holiday Park TH in Weber River to the North. North Fork Provo River trail, at approximately 10 miles one way, is the longest summer approach.

It might be the shortest approach in winter though, when Crystal Lake and Holiday Park are virtually unaccessible and Ledgefork is over 3 miles from the plowed road.

Red Tape

Mirror Lake Hwy is a Fee Demo area, daily or annual passes available

Camping

Dispersed camping is popular throughout the area. Nearest FS campgrounds are at Wasington Lake near Crystal Lake TH, and at Ledgefork just South of Smoth-Morehouse Reservoir.

Summer camping is restricted in a few most popular spots: only on the West shore of Long Lake, only on the North shore of Island Lake, only CG camping at Crystal Lake th.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.