Esmeralda Peak via De Roux Creek Trailhead

Esmeralda Peak via De Roux Creek Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.44120°N / 120.9697°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: YDS Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


De Roux Falls


Esmeralda Summits


Esmeralda Summits



This route is the primary route to the true twin summits of Esmeralda Peak. The approach to the YDS Class 2 talus and scree scramble is via the De Roux Creek Trail. Make sure when you do climb this mountain hit both the east and west summits. Though the west summit has the summit register, the eastern summit has a unique view and is also the one that is marked on the map.

Getting There

From via Route 970: Located between the town of Teanaway and Route 97 take Teanaway road north roughly ten miles to just past the 29 Pines camping area on your left. Once just past the 29 Pines camping area merge a left onto National Forest road 9737 and take it up roughly 10 miles all the way to the De Roux Creek Campground. This is officially 4 miles past the Beverly Park Campground. There will be a spur road on your left to the trailhead. It will be in the same area as the campground and very close to the horse stables.

Route Description

Take the De Roux Creek trail roughly three miles west through the valley between Esmeralda peak and Koppen Mountain. The trail will pass a number of very beautiful waterfalls that are worthy destinations in their own right.

After traveling up past two switchbacks there will be a scree field on your right. Make a right and head straight up for the peak via the YDS Class 2 1100 foot sustained scree/talus scramble to the near the summit. This is a double summit peak where the one to the west is roughly ten feet higher than the on the right. The summit log is on the west summit while many topos mark the eastern summit as the true summit. Do both as my group did because both have different views, not to mention that you have guaranteed that you made the true summit.

Essential Gear

If going early in the season be sure to bring an ice axe and possibly crampons. Though this is a south facing slope, leave little for chance. Other than early season, just basic hiking gear is needed. Trekking poles really helped out going both up and down.

External Links

Check this site for the latest conditions in the Teanaway Area

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.