Foggy times, Foggy Liberty

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.11600°N / 71.643°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 5, 2001
Mt. Liberty and Flume from...Mt. Liberty in summer 2001. Most of my winter shot were fogged out.


Mt. Liberty
December 5th, 2001
El. 4450
8.5 miles


Having Mt. Liberty foggy was a great symbol for what this country was going through after September 11th. No Justice with the Fog, but I still marched to the top with Liberty.

Hiking without snowshoes a 4000’ in December. This is absolutely unheard of, especially in the White Mountains. Last year at this time there was 3 inches of snow at home and about 2 feet on the mountains. To have the opportunity to hike this mountain without snow is a special gift. Sure the view was almost zero from top due to the fog, but what a gift to even have the opportunity to hike this mountain.

Mt. Liberty was very beautiful but nothing special compared to other mountains I have climbed. On a clear day this mountain has an awesome view. The Liberty Springs trail up to the top of steep in places, but nothing too hard. I though was a lot weaker at hiking than I was two weeks ago. This was due to the illness I received more that two weeks ago on Carr Mtn. I felt times I wasn’t going to make it to the top. But the transfer of emotional energy took over and I finished my climb and viewed a very mystical structure. The top of Mt. Liberty almost looks surreal when it is covered in fog. The wind was strong on top and the temps were cool but this mountain was a gift I wasn’t planning on climbing.

The campsite looks like a good place to camp out while on the Pemigwasset Loop Backpacking Trip next year. It even has water., The only problem is the $6 fee. That is not too bad though.

Coming down this mountain was surprisingly easy. No major pain on the knees as so many other trails I have been up. Yes, no illness either. I know how high I can be with Liberty.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount LibertyTrip Reports