From Rumanova Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.17122°N / 20.10734°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike + Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: UIAA 0+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The only Rumanov Stit summit route accessible for non-climbers .

We begin the trip at Popradske Pleso lake(1494) .

Popradske Pleso Mountain Hotel

The place is easily accessible by marked trails from the nearby town of Strbske Pleso .


  • "Popradske Pleso" (electric railway station)(1245) - Popradske Lake(1494)
    4 km ,260 m of height difference ,1 1/4 h ,road ,blue marks .


  • Strbske Pleso(1335) - 2,5 km - 3/4 h - Drigant(ca.1500) - 2,5 km - 3/4 h - Popradske Lake(1494)

    5 km ,150 m of height difference ,1 1/2 h ,red marked Magistrala trail .

    Route Description


    Leaving the chalet building we turn east and go along NE shores of the lake - following red marks of Magistrala trail leading to Sedlo Pod Ostrvou pass seen in the ridge above - towards SE .
    Crossing 3 small bridges over 3 branches of Zmrzly Potok Stream, we cotninue 100 metres further by the same trail till the point where a clear path in the field of dwarf mountain pine bushes branches off to the left .
    We follow the new path towards east through dwarf mountain pine and beatiful forests entering great
    Zlomiskova Valley .
    The higher we hike the scenery becomes more rugged and beatiful .
    We go all the time along the main stream .
    After about 30 minutes the path leads us in zigzaks through steep slope of the grass-rocky threshold to the wide,
    flat terrace of Zlomiskova Roven(ca.1820) - a shore of the Zlomiskova Valley's middle floor .
    Passing Zlomiskova Roven by the path towards NE first on the right shore of the stream then by the grassy terrain between two branches of the stream till the end of the flat space .
    Next to the left crossing the stream after what walking up a bit steeper to slightly sloping grass-scree small terrace(ca.1980) (15 min.) .
    We continue to hike up 5 minutes more among the rocks and then turn left (not going further to the upper floor of the valley with Zmrzle Pleso lake) leaving the main path onto a rocky-heap marked path to Rumanova Valley climbing through morainal threshold among huge boulder rocks and by grassfields (10 min.) .
    Then slightly to the right (north) over the great boulder rocks to the lowest part of Rumanova Valley (10 min.) .
    Not reaching nearby Rumanovo Pleso lake(2090) we have now a double choice of further way up to the saddle of Gankova Strbina Pass(ca.2388) .

    First possibilty is to turn right into the path climbing crumbly gutter to the grass-rocky zone in the middle of western slopes of Zlobiva Peak(2426) and then traversing till the couloir falling from Gankova Strbina Pass or the second route type - continue hiking through Rumanova Valley towards north turning right after a few hundred metres into the couloir (rocky-heaps) which falls down from the grass-rocky zone mentioned above in the line of decline the main couloir falling down from the pass .
    Taking the couloir we continue the climb reaching Gankova Strbina Pass(ca.2388) in about 20 minute time
    (3 h from Popradske Pleso).

    Several metres below the pass on the right side - looking while walking-up - a narrow, crumbly gutter chows up into the rocks of the NW summit face of Rumanov Stit .
    We climb it carefully reaching a small saddle in the southern rib of the main NW summit then by climbing on the opposite side of the rib through steep couloir and grass-rocky ledges to the main summit (20 min. from the pass)
    (3 1/2 h from Popradske Pleso)


    Essential Gear


    In summer conditions (dry rock) : solid hiking/trekking boots ,waterproofs ...

    In winter : ice axe ,crampons ...full alpine equipment

    High Mountain experience absolutely essential !

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.