Georges Highland Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.22960°N / 69.1365°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA BARNESTOWN RD: Take Barnstown from the center of Camden (10 miles) west roughly 1 mile past the Camden Ski Bowl. The trailhead to Bald Mountain will be on the right right at the height of land between Ragged and Bald Mountains.



Route Description



Photo from the summit of Bald...


Bald Mountain Trail
Elevation Gain: 700 feet
Class 1-2
Roundtrip Distance: 1.8 miles


This is a classic trail in the beautiful Camden Hills. The panoramas from the summit of this trail are amazing. Great shot of Camden, Maine the Atlantic Ocean and the western hills can be seen from this amazing peak.

The trail beings as a simple class 1 hiking trail. It stays woods for the first (0.4 miles) until it breaks out on the ledges. At the ledges the trail quickly steepens up with a number of scrambles begining here. The go through these scrambles until it reaches the false summit west of Bald Mountain. The trail then become gradual for the next 200 yards until it reaches the foot of the summit cone. From there the summit could be attained either the (class 2) direct path or the (class 2) loop trail that traverse the edge of ledges with great views (caution: dropoffs).

Shot from Bald Mtn. (11/30/05)



Essential Gear

Only essential needed in summer. However in winter crampons are required if the trail is iced over. An ice axe is not nessesary but could be help on the second scramble towards the top if this trail is really icy. The Loop Trail to summit has plenty of steep dropoffs while the over section of trail to the summit is home to steep, open class terrain.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.