High Benches to Cone Peak

High Benches to Cone Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67908°N / 111.04088°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 28, 2007
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter

Dry spell - where to go?

Norway Flats road near the yurtMorning sunshine, distant peaks of the Wasatch

A long mid-January spell of high pressure brought chilly smog to Utah valleys, and crusts, facets and sugar to the mountains. One day a backcountry avalanche report famously said something like "nothing fun there, forget it, go ski the resorts". Specifically with respect to Western Uintas, the avy report mentioned hard crusts in the sun and crystal sugar in the shade, with nothing in between.
Boulder CreekThe faraway Dell

Another week was coming to an end, with the consensus opinion that the snow is gonna suck but it's better to brave crusts than to break trail in the sugar. So, it must be the South slopes. An e-mail went to the UINTA team:

"Rob and myself are thinking a Uinta tour on Sun, possibly Big Elk Lake area with ascending one of the two peaks North of it, the ones we haven't visited yet. Or maybe Haystack by the way of Rock Creek. Anybody up for joining?"

No other takers.

Cone Peak!

Breaking trail on Norway  BenchSunshine and packed powder on Lower Norway Bench
Wind-packed snow on the Norway BenchYou call it trail-breaking? Lakes of Middle Norway Bench

At 8:30 on a bluebird morning, we were putting on skis on the Norway Flats TH, to give a shot to Cone Peak (11,270) in the very heart of Western Uintas. It is 10 miles away and the January days are still too short for that kind of a long-haul, but maybe the crust will help us get there.

Norway RidgeRob breaking trail below Norway Ridge

Big Elk Lake, Peak 10.931, and Cone PeakFirst glance at the peak

It was crusted pretty hard at the starting elevation, but crystals of overnight frost covered the crust and the traction was pretty decent. We were pushing hard to get to the higher elevations before the Sun softens the snow. We got to the flats by 10:30 am, that's about a half-way point. The old track ended in another half a mile, thence we just cut straight North to Norway bench and reached the high point of the bench, overlooking Big Elk lake and our destination, by 12:30.

The supposedly hard-crust-and-sugar condition of the Uintas was simply not true! Around 10,000 ft, it was mostly between 1 and 4 inches of packed or recrystallized powder over crust, easy trailbreaking and fun skiing downhill. The snow didn't appreciably soften in mid-day either, except for the most open, steep, South-facing slopes (where the softer crust was actually quite helpful). So it was fun and fast going.

Norway Ridge and Wall PeakAscending from Big Elk Lake

South Bench of Peak 10,931Beautiful high bench!

We stopped for lucnh behind a stand of firs almost as soon as the peak came into view, less than two miles away now. A short descent to Big Elk Lake and kick-and-glide across, and we skinned up for the final push to the summit.

Another beautiful high bench, which haven't yet skied before, followed around the base of Peak 10,931, then spread wide between Cone Peak and Island Lake. There we turned onto the steep crusts of the lower South Ridge. We were able to ski to within 0.2 miles of the summit (10,900 el), then it was easy booting up the bouldery ridge.
Peak 10,610 in Erickson Basin divideBig Elk Pass and Peak 10,610
Ascending the lower South RidgeFirst switchbacks from the bench below
Skiing up the lower South RidgeAscending lower South ridge


The honey-colored quartzite outcroppings justted out of the wind-packed snow.
Booting section starts in 0.2 miles from the topTime to ditch the skis
Strange rock formationsCliifs of West Face
Between the  jaws The rock jaws




Upper South Ridge of ConeRock outcroppings below the summit
Last steps to the summitLast steps to the top
Cone Summit and the MoonThe summit!


What an amazing view from the top! The whole of Western Uintas with its countless lakes and peaks, and distant Wasatch on the horizon. And a long glide ahead, along the high benches, still lit by the late afternoon Sun.
Summit cairnSummit cairn
Long MtnLong Mountain
Island and Long LakesThe Lake Country


East Face of Wall PeakLooking back at Wall Peak

Middle Norway BenchRock mushrooms highlighted by low Sun

Trip stats: 6 hours all in all to the summit (9 to 10 miles distance, 3,800 ft gain) and only 2.5 hours back, we were back at the car by 5:20.


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.