Königstein Fortress/ Festung Königstein

Königstein Fortress/ Festung Königstein

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.91878°N / 14.05941°E
Additional Information County: Sächsische Schweiz-Osterzgebirge
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1148 ft / 350 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Festung Königstein (Königstein Fortress) is a unique monument to the art of European fortress construction. Its 750 years' history in different architecture styles Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and 19th century architecture.
Its situated at top of one of the typical table hills in Sächsische Schweiz.
The 9.5 hectare rock plateau rises 240 metres above the Elbe and has over 50 buildings.
In the centre of the site is a 152.5 metre deep well, the deepest in Saxony and second deepest well in Europe.
Besides the tour of the fortress, its a very good sight point to Sächsische Schweiz, especially to bend of river Elbe and Lilienstein Hill.
Panorama of Lilienstein and Elbe River

Getting There

By car - From west or earth - motorway a 4 toward Dresden, later A17, exit to Pirna - from there route S 168 - to Königstein - watch signs - "Festung"!
From north - motorway A 13 toward Dresden, a later - A 17.
From south - motorway E 55 (Czech Republik), and next - in Germany - A 17.

By train - from Dresden is railway connection to Königstein.

Red Tape

Its a fortress, entrance fee - 8 Euro for adult and 6 for child.

Camping

Its a tourist region, many possibility of accomodations - hotels, pension etc...

External Links

wikipedia
Official website

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sächsische SchweizMountains & Rocks