Kaiserjägersteig

Kaiserjägersteig

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.52693°N / 12.00032°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: K1/A
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kaiserjagersteig Via Ferrata
Hanging bridge on the Kaiserjägersteig Via Ferrata

The Kaiserjägersteig (Italian: Sentiero dei Kaserjäger) is a Via Ferrata to the summit of Lagazuoi Piccolo. The route is graded “A” (Austrian gradation) or “K1” (German gradation) and therefore best described as “easy”. The route starts at the Falzarego pass and goes up along the south Face of Lagazuoi Piccolo. It is one of two Via Ferrata routes present on the south face of Lagazuoi. The other route is the Galleria/ Tunnel Via Ferrata. The Kaiserjägersteig is named after the Austrian soldiers who fought against the Italians on Lagazuoi during the first world war. The word Jäger (meaning "hunter" or "huntsman") is a characteristic term used for light infantry or light infantrymen in German-speaking military context.

Kaiserjägersteig / Sentieri dei Kaiserjäger & Marmolada
Kaiserjägersteig / Sentiero dei Kaiserjäger & Marmolada

The 3 Tofana's
The 3 Tofana's from the summit


The Kaiserjägersteig can be combined with the Galleria/Tunnel Via Ferrata to create a nice roundtour. It is also possible to descend using the Lagazuoi cablecar, but only in summer when the cablecar is operating. The route is a combination of a hiking trail and a "true" Via Ferrata. The most famous asset of the route is the large wooden hanging bridge along the route that enables climbers to cross a large ravine. The route takes about 2 to 3 hours to complete starting from the Falzarego Pass and up to the summit of Lagazuoi Piccolo. The best time for climbing this route is during the summer months and the period after summer when there is no snow on the mountain.

A perfect ZigZag on the Kaiserjägersteig
A perfect ZigZag (hiking trail) on the Kaiserjägersteig

Route Description

Kaiserjägersteig Route Topo
Route Topo (left part)
The route starts at the Falzarego pass and is the only trail heading towards the North-NW from the Pass. The trail more or less follows the line of the cableway going up the mountain. Follow the
well-marked trail up and soon the trail changes direction towards the west. Keep following the trail until the Via Ferrata starts. This first part takes about 30 minutes. The Via Ferrata is easy at all times (K1/A) and is partly a Via Ferrata and partly a hiking trail. The route crosses a wooden hanging bridge to cross a large ravine.  The route goes up along the south Face of Lagazuoi until the crest is reached. At his point you have arrived on the west ridge of Lagazuoi and you can see towards the northern side of the mountain for the first time. This point is marked by a wooden sign stating Kaiserjägersteig. At this poiont you can already spot the summit cross of Lagazuoi Piccolo in the distance. From here an easy hiking trail goes towards the east and up to the summit of Lagazuoi Piccolo. It is also possible to use this route descending Lagazuoi towards the Falzarego pass. Also see the map at left for further details.

Route: Photo Overview

This photo overview shows the whole route from Passo Falzarego up to the summit of Lagazuoi Piccolo:

Passo Falzarego
1. starting point at Passo Falzarego

View down to Falzarego
2. View down to Passo Falzarego

Kaiserjägersteig lower part
3. Lower part of the route; trail steepens

A perfect ZigZag on the Kaiserjägersteig
4. A perfect ZigZag on the Kaiserjagersteig

On route near the bridge
5. On route near the bridge

The hanging bridge
6. The hanging bridge

Rifugio Lagazuoi & South Face
7. Rifugio Lagazuoi & South Face

Kaiserjägersteig upper part with Civetta
8. Kaiserjagersteig upper part with Civetta

Kaiserjägersteig / Sentieri dei Kaiserjäger
9. At the top of the route; marked by this sign

The West ridge of Lagazuoi
10. The West ridge of Lagazuoi

Lagazuoi Piccolo
11. Lagazuoi Piccolo summit (sign from 9. in front)

Kaiserjägersteig / Sentieri dei Kaiserjäger & Marmolada
12. The sign once again

Approaching the summit of Lagazuoi
13. Approaching the summit of Lagazuoi

Summit Cross & Tofana's
14. Summit Cross & Tofana's


Essential Gear

Good hiking/Via Ferrata shoes are mandatory as well as warm clothing. A Via ferrata set is also needed for Climbing this route. If you plan on descending along the Galleria/Tunnel Via Ferrata be sure to bring a headlight/flashlight for the tunnels.

Getting There

Passo Falzarego
Passo Falzarego
The starting point for most routes on Lagazuoi is the Falzarego Passroad (2105m). This passroad is located at a junction of 3 roads coming together near the actual Falzarego pass. From the east the Falzarego pass is reached along road SR48 from Cortina d’Ampezzo (about 30 minutes). From the west the Falzarego Pass is reached along route SR48 in about 30 minutes coming from Arabba. The third and last route comes from the north. It takes about 30 minutes to get from Badia, via the Valparola Pass, to Falzarego. The route starts directly behind the parking lot you can see on the photo at left. The photo is taken from near the start of the route.

For a route planner (Google) to get to the Falzarego Pass click here.

When to climb

Still a lot of snow on route
Still a lot of snow on route in May
Lagazuoi can be climbed best during the summer months until fall (June / October) when there is no snow present on the mountain. Especially the Via Ferrata routes are increasingly difficult (or impossible) with snow present, so be sure to check the present conditions.

Maps and books

Klettersteigfuhrer Dolomieten -Alpinverlag
Books:

Klettersteigfuhrer Dolomiten-Sudtirol-Gardasee

Publisher: Alpinverlag Jentzsch-Rabl (German withEnlish summaries)

ISBN/EAN: 9783902656179

Maps:

Kompass WK55 Cortina d'Ampezzo -  1:50.000 – ISBN/EAN 9783850265119

External Links

Lagazuoi Cableway Prices and Operating hours

Cortinad’Ampezzo Official Website + Accomodation

Weather Lagazuoi & Falzarego Pass by Bergfex

Rifugio Lagazuoi Webcam 1 , Webcam 2 , Webcam 3

Weather



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.