Lake Creek aproach/South Ridge

Lake Creek aproach/South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.80050°N / 114.2915°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

A few miles north of Ketchum on Id 75 take a right on Lake Creek road. Follow this road past some very upscale homes to a cul de sac where it becomes a very well maintained dirt road. Go past the small lake a couple miles up and you enter a forested area. After a small rise you enter a meadow with many snags from avalanches on your left. Just past this is a small trail marker on your right. Park on the left of the road here.

Route Description

Cross the road and follow the old mining road path which switches back and forth as it gains elevation. At approx the 8200 ft contour a trail leaves the old road to the left (see pic). Follow this as it switchbacks up to the saddle south of the summit. At the saddle there is a campsite. From here leave the trail and gain the south ridge straight uphill. The views of the Pioneers become more strking to your right with every strained uphill step. Follow the top of this ridge to the summit for, in my opinion, among the best views of the Boulder, Pioneer and Lost River mountains to be had anywhere close to Sun Valley. The summit is large and realitively flat and a great place for a high mtn picnic.

Essential Gear

Sunscreen and plenty of water even though you cross a lovely spring 1/3 of the way up. If planning on utilizing this spring, as always, bring a filtration device. On this hike, helmets are not needed. In July and August bring a good repellent as the horseflies are abundant and hungry on the upper reaches.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.