Linza-normal

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.91800°N / 0.729°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Trailhead: mountain hut of Linza.

Approach: Pamplona-Isaba-Zuriza-Linza.

To arrive to Pamplona: avion, train or bus.

Route Description

Col of LinzaCol of Linza

Slope: 1300 metres.
Time:3h 30 min-4h (climb to summit). Total: 8 h.

From mountain hut of Linza (1320m) take a good route for the Loma of Sobrante to the right (to the left side if you go out for the door of the hut). We will continue for the hillside towards the north following the marks of red painting up to coming to the Col of Linza (1906m).
In direction N-NE it is got down a bit up to passing close to Linza's shanty (shepherds' small metallic hut). Now it is not necessary to continue going down for the Hoya de la Solana but it is bordered following them already known red marks up to them 2030m. We return to descend a bit searching the beginning of the channel that accedes to the col of Escoueste. Before the col we continue to the left in east direction to the Col de la Mesa (2345m) with the peak Budogia in left side.
Under BudogiaBudogia

Now we bordering the pyramid of summit for the south (right) searching the chimney in the middle of the face (difficult to see in a fog day). For the chimney of grade I we reach te ridge and the summit. In the little summit you can see the statue of bronze of the patron saint of Navarra (Francisco de Javier) and a pretty scale model of the castle of Javier (Xavier in english). If you want you can go to La Table (prolongation and secondary summit in the french side).

Views from the summit:
-west: Ory, Barazea, Lakartxela, Otsorrigaina, Ukerdi, Budogia.
-south: Ezkaurre, Petrechema, Agujas de Ansabere, Chipeta.
-east: Collarada, Midi d'Ossau, Bisaurin, Castillo de Acher...

Access to summit

West RidgeWest ridge

Generally out of winter time the easiest access is the described above across the south face but the traverse to reach the chimney of south face is exposed with snow.

A good option for the people with experience in rock-climb grade II (use of the hands, no rope) is the western ridge, grade PD -. In the Col of La Mesa we turn directly to the rocky ridge. After a little zig-zag among the rocks we climb some little chimneys of grade I+ to reach an spun of II- of 4 meters.

After the spun we walk the climb of I, easy but exposed, to reach the summit.

Essential Gear

In winter ice axe and crampons. In summer water.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.